Thinking of getting my Beddy dog castrated??.....your thoughts

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the future though, I am going to borrow a greyhound bitch off my daughter in law ( she's a trainer) and put him over it, always wanted a beddy greyhound.

He’s a Beddy what do you expect! Only way you are stopping him running off is cutting his legs off not his balls ?

f@@k it....he keeps his balls then.....mind made up....:)

On 01/11/2022 at 17:38, ADAM C said:

I'm thinking of getting my Beddy dog of 4yrs castrated as in title, just wondering if at all it will calm him down, when out he works cover but far too fast and moves on running hundreds of yards in front.If he's on a scent his recall is virtually zero as many a time im stood 10-15mins waiting for him to appear, im sure one day he will be on the missing dogs list for sure, wondered if any lads have had this at all with any of their dogs?

Thanks.

Why not stick him a kennel with a greyhound that’s in season and ready to stand, that’ll knock the pea right out his whistle 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Why not stick him a kennel with a greyhound that’s in season and ready to stand, that’ll knock the pea right out his whistle 

Why not just take him to a burrow and let him do what he was bred to do.. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Marvel said:

I've had my Parson running with a big whippet /grey bitch for years, he can't reach but will whine and hump it's leg for days, makes no difference to his enthusiasm. He's a good hunter but a pain and will fck off on deer and pig scent, desexing makes no difference and a lot of terriers will still be assholes and try to mount bitches. All castration does is mess with their health.

• Like 2
On 05/11/2022 at 09:28, ADAM C said:

f@@k it....he keeps his balls then.....mind made up....:)

As said wouldn’t make a difference , I was reading in week lot of breeds have declined due to lot of make dog owners are to quick to get their dogs castrated and it reduces the gene pool and amount of stud dogs available ?

• Like 2

Wouldnt change my terrier (first terrier so not experienced) but he aint a spaniel so hes going deafen you out. Maybe if was over the top harsh on him to begin with recall might be bit better on scent (doubtful) but dont think hes got that temperament to be overly harsh. Too made up with him smashing through cover straight away to be mindful of reigning his distance in but dont think it would of made a diff anyway! Daft decathlon bell on him recently and handily the audible sound is prob max distance id want him. Just get a bell mate and youll prob hear him 90% of the time and during that audible time you can relax and enjoy your walk etc instead of thinking  what directions he gone and has he gone towards road etc.  Bells not helpful at min for recall….loose idea is introduce a gun dog whistle as hes used to deafening my voice. Make sure he knows what the whistle is. Then maybe (been given my mates ecollar) keep him in view and if can see hes ignoring the whistle try and correct him on low setting. Might do might not (been watching few vids on how to use collar correctly) tbh I aint assed he always turns up its only annoying ferreting but hes learning stay close = action. He handily opens up when hes behind something anyway plus bell I know roughly where he is. Not interested in digging, so wouldn’t ever comment on this section ?, thats not what got him for but certain hed go to ground. Bought bellman collar as precaution but maybe got lucky spots I take him. Dont see how castrating the poor b*stard would help. 

On 07/11/2022 at 20:18, gaza said:

Wouldnt change my terrier (first terrier so not experienced) but he aint a spaniel so hes going deafen you out. Maybe if was over the top harsh on him to begin with recall might be bit better on scent (doubtful) but dont think hes got that temperament to be overly harsh. Too made up with him smashing through cover straight away to be mindful of reigning his distance in but dont think it would of made a diff anyway! Daft decathlon bell on him recently and handily the audible sound is prob max distance id want him. Just get a bell mate and youll prob hear him 90% of the time and during that audible time you can relax and enjoy your walk etc instead of thinking  what directions he gone and has he gone towards road etc.  Bells not helpful at min for recall….loose idea is introduce a gun dog whistle as hes used to deafening my voice. Make sure he knows what the whistle is. Then maybe (been given my mates ecollar) keep him in view and if can see hes ignoring the whistle try and correct him on low setting. Might do might not (been watching few vids on how to use collar correctly) tbh I aint assed he always turns up its only annoying ferreting but hes learning stay close = action. He handily opens up when hes behind something anyway plus bell I know roughly where he is. Not interested in digging, so wouldn’t ever comment on this section ?, thats not what got him for but certain hed go to ground. Bought bellman collar as precaution but maybe got lucky spots I take him. Dont see how castrating the poor b*stard would help. 

what bell did you use pal?