Bedlington x whippet 1st cross.....

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I had always fancied a straight whippet ,whippet lads on here told they would do anything a beddywhippet would and better .I had my doubts ,would they mark reliably ?work brambles ,nettles etc .Well it's early days but she hunts up well is a natural marker,goes through cover and is now starting to catch bits and bobs .downside ,is thin skin she gets plenty of nicks and cuts doesn't bother her .upside is her drive and determination to hunt .

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I had always fancied a straight whippet ,whippet lads on here told they would do anything a beddywhippet would and better .I had my doubts ,would they mark reliably ?work brambles ,nettles etc .Well it's early days but she hunts up well is a natural marker,goes through cover and is now starting to catch bits and bobs .downside ,is thin skin she gets plenty of nicks and cuts doesn't bother her .upside is her drive and determination to hunt .

Whippet I had was a hard little dog, he didn’t work brambles, but he would fly into them if he spotted one. He was a smaller stocky type. One thing I will say his skin was good looking back, only ever got one skin tear when he was a pup on his chest....which was a miracle looking back. My little old lurcher has got skin like tissue, she only had to catch a branch and that was it. Other good thing about whippets I’ve found they shut off nicely in the house. I used to go out with two old blokes when I was a kid, they had a tiny blue whippet which they rescued from side of a motorway....they named it tiny...due to its size, that used to work the cover too.

Edited by Shortstraw

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sire/dam   

They can be handy wee dogs in the right hands 

Posted Images

They last a nights lamping which I doubted before I got one . No foot problems so far and no bother in the cold . She s had some good knocks but just got herself up and kept running. Their only down side is their size and weight , but my lad keeps reminding me she s a whippet not a bull cross lol . Can t help myself sometimes it’s just habit owning heavy dogs for years. When I see eyes in the lamp to just slip the dog . He s bollocked me loads of times 

Something I’ve found with f1 beddy whippets was they were to slow for me due to there size an the size of land I was trying to lamp with them at the time but as a ferreting dog or mooching about dog there spot on and easy to live with I’ve had a right good laugh with all different % of beddy whippets over the years. My last beddy whippet died out about 4yrs ago. It’s kind of ironic as I never really had a lot to say about beddy whippets bar they were to slow for me the ironic thing is when any of the bigger dogs were banged up or in the sick bay who was always the go to dog……that’s right the beddy whippet! 

• Like 1
Just now, poxon said:

Something I’ve found with f1 beddy whippets was they were to slow for me due to there size an the size of land I was trying to lamp with them at the time but as a ferreting dog or mooching about dog there spot on and easy to live with I’ve had a right good laugh with all different % of beddy whippets over the years. My last beddy whippet died out about 4yrs ago. It’s kind of ironic as I never really had a lot to say about beddy whippets bar they were to slow for me the ironic thing is when any of the bigger dogs were banged up or in the sick bay who was always the go to dog……that’s right the beddy whippet! 

7746B525-4FEB-4806-A6AA-C284F13AE7FA.png

• Like 12
2 hours ago, fred90 said:

Theyve got thin skin mate, they cant help that, but a good one is up for anything. 

I’ve got a first cross.. she has a great nose and will hunt cover really well… the down side is, she has a shit linty coat, so suffers in the cold rain. She’s not really fast enough, and she’s not big enough for most of the gear she hunts up in cover… but, she’s a great pet.. hunts really well, stock broken, retrieves etc… but she’s only 18 inch. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

I’ve got a first cross.. she has a great nose and will hunt cover really well… the down side is, she has a shit linty coat, so suffers in the cold rain. She’s not really fast enough, and she’s not big enough for most of the gear she hunts up in cover… but, she’s a great pet.. hunts really well, stock broken, retrieves etc… but she’s only 18 inch. 

would a beddy x grey , have better coat , and more robust  frame , to handle thick cover etc, and handle anything  it might bump into.?  i always fancied a 1x beddy x grey , think they   are about  23in  50lb from what i read about them, make norm even litter , downside  i found was getting one, not many about, norm its like the post on here, they norn beddy x whippets not beddy x greys   .? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

would a beddy x grey , have better coat , and more robust  frame , to handle thick cover etc, and handle anything  it might bump into.?  i always fancied a 1x beddy x grey , think they   are about  23in  50lb from what i read about them, make norm even litter , downside  i found was getting one, not many about, norm its like the post on here, they norn beddy x whippets not beddy x greys   .? 

I’ve got a young beddy/grey.. not a first cross.. she’s totally different.. thick coat, strong as an ox too… I think she will turn into a much more useful lurcher. 

• Like 1

can be a bit of a lottery.last one made 18 tts,with a flimsy linty coat.this one is 18 1/2tts with a thick rough double coat.what I have found is the line bred ones,beddywhippet x beddywhippet often throw bigger than the first cross.some have been 21inch and strong bitches .

• Like 1
On 01/11/2022 at 19:05, jeemes said:

Theyve got thin skin mate, they cant help that, but a good one is up for anything. 

Mates got a good kc bitch that has a hatred of foxes and has the marks to prove it. Shame he always breeds her pure for the coin and won’t put a beddy grey/whip on her. 

• Like 1