• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sire/dam   

They can be handy wee dogs in the right hands 

Posted Images

19 hours ago, fred90 said:

can be a bit of a lottery.last one made 18 tts,with a flimsy linty coat.this one is 18 1/2tts with a thick rough double coat.what I have found is the line bred ones,beddywhippet x beddywhippet often throw bigger than the first cross.some have been 21inch and strong bitches .

I've only ever had one Bedlington cross and he had a good thick coat but he stayed wet for much longer than the short tight coated lurcher I had at the same time. In his case he was more terrier than whippet though.

He was an accidental mating from a chap in Wales who didn't want anyone to know the mating had taken place, so he gave the whole litter away free to my father and his mates (presumably as he thought some would think he was adding whippet blood back into his line of Bedlingtons surreptitiously). He was sired by one of his Bedlington studs out of a first cross Bedlington whippet he had. This was a long time ago (last century) but I seem to recall that there was fell blood on one side too and lakeland on the other so the genes could've mixed up in multiple directions. He looked like a lanky mongrel terrier with a light brindle coat covered in a lighter outer coat. I think he was about 17" or 18". 

• Like 1

had a few bedlingtonx greyhounds over the years,love them for daytime  and nightime work,never owned a bedlingtonx whippet f1, but ibought abedlingtonx greyhound back to a bedlingtonx whippet in the early 90s for £50 advertised in the old shooting news, what a great dog he wasalways gave his best passed on at 12yrs of age, mate had a bedlingtonx whippet used to give tongue when outpaced but tremondous ferreting dog, think thats what put me off  them,all the bedlington blood was from the rillington line, last beddyx ihad was from les robinson in brigg, who used the stag night line of whippet and george newcombes stud dog blue, would have another beddyx grey if some one was breeding the real genuine stuff, but sadly true working bedlington blood is well and truly diluted or doesnt exist these days, getting as rare as hens teeth.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Beddie hybrids are smashing old jukels,...we had great fun with them.....? 

File0352.jpg

sadly dont breed them like that thesedays phil,a perfect example of how the beddy lurcher should look like,beautiful confirmation and stance, a real work horse oby the looks of it.

19 hours ago, grompz said:

sadly dont breed them like that thesedays phil,a perfect example of how the beddy lurcher should look like,beautiful confirmation and stance, a real work horse oby the looks of it.

Yes,.. that dog was handled by two guys,.. he was kinda, the communal fox dog' and frequently accompanied the lads on their digging forays, with the Border terriers,...What I did notice was that he had an amazing hatred of Vulpine..? 

In fact, when hunting in tight woodland , he was exceptionally sharp onto a bolter, and invariable connected ,..and when he did, there was no getting him off,.. until the quarry was dispatched...

A useful dog for that style of hunting....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1