Bedlington x whippet 1st cross.....

Just a quick question. If whippet is  black bitch and bedlington sire......is it possible to have some brindle rough pups in litter....the rest been grey rough coats.

I always thought they were grey rough/ broken 1st cross...., or is it possible if the bedlington has other terrier in its breeding? The dam is definitely a whippet.

Just  wondered as I was looking at a litter, looked a nice whippet and bedlington....but didn’t expect brindle in litter.

Edited by Shortstraw

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sire/dam   

They can be handy wee dogs in the right hands 

Posted Images

It's very rare to get anything but black/grey or red/fawn ruff coated pups from first x bedlington whippet or bedlington greyhound, and of course if the bedlington as other blood in it you may see different colours but in that case they not a first x ,I've had lads tell me first x can produce brindle but the only brindle pups in bedy x litters I've seen definitely wasn't first x litters .

The dam to my first x bedy grey was brindle /white but no brindle shows in her and all other pups was like peas in a pod ,

If the pups look well looked after and parents seem sound then give one a go.

usually blue/black or fawn.you definitely get brindle in first cross ,I have also seen black and white parti colour as well .that Bedlington expert glover also wrote you never get smooth coated in genuine first cross ,even more bxxxxcks from someone who should know better seen a few smooth first cross .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, fred90 said:

usually blue/black or fawn.you definitely get brindle in first cross ,I have also seen black and white parti colour as well .that Bedlington expert glover also wrote you never get smooth coated in genuine first cross ,even more bxxxxcks from someone who should know better seen a few smooth first cross .

I think it's rare to see smooth pups in a first x litter and the only time I've seen them or part colour is out of 2 half xs or whippet x bedy whippet but I'm no expert I just go on what I've seen with my own two eyes ,unless the parents have a pedigree working or kc anything could be in the mix 

1 minute ago, Moocher71 said:

I think it's rare to see smooth pups in a first x litter and the only time I've seen them or part colour is out of 2 half xs or whippet x bedy whippet but I'm no expert I just go on what I've seen with my own two eyes ,unless the parents have a pedigree working or kc anything could be in the mix 

Yes it isn't common but does happen ,the ones I have seen were bred and owned by experienced dog men?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, fred90 said:

How have you found the beddy x whippet first cross? Just curious, I haven’t fully decided what dog I’m getting next. I just mooch about these days, I’m not really too bothered these days if the dogs don’t catch, I just love to watch them hunt up and have the odd chase...and in my case these days it’s usually squirrels and pheasants.

28 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

How have you found the beddy x whippet first cross? Just curious, I haven’t fully decided what dog I’m getting next. I just mooch about these days, I’m not really too bothered these days if the dogs don’t catch, I just love to watch them hunt up and have the odd chase...and in my case these days it’s usually squirrels and pheasants.

I have had both first cross and line bred beddywhippet over 30 years .ideal for what you are looking for .they are great for rat,rabbit ,squirrel ,pheasant etc .I also have my first whippet who is now a year old and I am very impressed with her,either will do the job .

14 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I have had both first cross and line bred beddywhippet over 30 years .ideal for what you are looking for .they are great for rat,rabbit ,squirrel ,pheasant etc .I also have my first whippet who is now a year old and I am very impressed with her,either will do the job .

My current bitch Is bed/whippet x collie/grey/whippet, she’s 19 inch and to be fair she hasn’t been much of a working dog.....too nervous.... she’s twelve now. My springer x lurcher was amazing but her life got cut short at 8. I said I wasn’t going to get another lurcher, but I can’t help but get tempted.  I did consider a jack Russell x springer, cocker x bedlington whippet and recently saw a working lab x whippet. I also been considering a whippet ( was my first dog 36 year since ago). All would do what I want I guess, but a little bed x whip does take my fancy.

You finding much difference between the beddy whippet and whippet?

Edited by Shortstraw
1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

You finding much difference between the beddy whippet and whippet?

I had always fancied a straight whippet ,whippet lads on here told they would do anything a beddywhippet would and better .I had my doubts ,would they mark reliably ?work brambles ,nettles etc .Well it's early days but she hunts up well is a natural marker,goes through cover and is now starting to catch bits and bobs .downside ,is thin skin she gets plenty of nicks and cuts doesn't bother her .upside is her drive and determination to hunt .

2 hours ago, mackem said:

Expensive? I spoke to a farmer in Surrey had one, cost him a thousand quid. 

I think £700-750ish. I’ve never paid much for dogs in past, that’s a big jump for me, however he did say he’ll talk about price when I asked .....that’s if I do go for one.

2 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

I think £700-750ish. I’ve never paid much for dogs in past, that’s a big jump for me, however he did say he’ll talk about price when I asked .....that’s if I do go for one.

Big jump in price over the last few years ?

• Like 1