Lizards as pets

Now then , 

my five year old has been adamant he wants a chameleon for Christmas for quite some months now  , i know . 

I’ve got no experience at all with lizards etc as pets and from what  I’ve read online they aren’t the easiest to keep ….

Any ideas on sensible alternatives , for myself , I was thinking giant African snail or a stick insect ?? 

don’t be thinking any stupid plans like tarantulas ???

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reason we need something else is that he has a ferret . It’s his best mate , got her as a pair from a lad here and one died sadly so we have the one . He f***ing loved  the thing , comes to his cl

reptiles need calcium and other bits and bobs...you will end up having to do  everything yourself Stiff...you could get him a Mantis,he can feed it and watch it grow, awesome little pets and only lose

Take your pick child friendly ??

Posted Images

No chameleons are to finicky to care for  an fragile 

bearded dragons are ok but might be bit spiny for a 5  year old to handle and  need a 4ft viv and a new uv bulb every 6 months 

look at a leopard gecko calmer to handle only need 2-3 ft viv as adults an used to be cheaper to buy ? Though I’m out of touch as not been involved in reptiles for over 4 years ?

• Like 1

Stick  insects are boring tbh

iguanas need a whole room when adults an way to large for a primary school kid to handle .

african snails are ok you can feed them left over salad etc give them cuttlefish  bone or calcium powder for their shells .

If they lay to many eggs you can freeze the eggs for a day which kills them then compost them or give them to someone with fish or chickens. .

Sister in law had an iguana .Nigh on 4 ft nose to tail .Had it’s own bedroom ,lamp pool the lot .

Unfortunately her Yorkshire terrier got in somehow and killed the thing .Must of been a lucky strike on the ground .
It shed its tail but too late ,marmite had the thing brown bread .

Have you thought about a corn snake .My kids had one each ,a normal phase and an albino .I preferred them bigger when they took live prey but they are feisty things you need to watch when feeding .After fed they are very placid to hold .Grow to about 5 foot .

Geckos appear to be a good starter .Last  year we had one arrive in a patio pack of Indian sand stone that my son kept until he swapped it for a tarantula that died a week later !

reptiles need calcium and other bits and bobs...you will end up having to do  everything yourself Stiff...you could get him a Mantis,he can feed it and watch it grow, awesome little pets and only lose £20 if it gets squashed??

my Mrs is petrified of spiders but will let a f***ing great big Mantis Climb over her face,kids live  them too,kid it any insects you find around the house?DSC_2903.JPG.e620eba256b54e52b0fe61011f0c2036.JPG

• Like 3
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

I know a lad with a gecko an it bites him everytime he handles it haha says he got a diff type for kids tho, can’t remember what types they are but his is deffo fiesty

My one's were grand to handle never had a bother but the iguana I had would draw blood when it would latch on to me and sting like fook when it whipped me with it's tail,I've always fancied keeping a snake 

1 minute ago, peterhunter86 said:

My one's were grand to handle never had a bother but the iguana I had would draw blood when it would latch on to me and sting like fook when it whipped me with it's tail,I've always fancied keeping a snake 

we had 2...now there's only 1 in the tank?

• Like 1