Dog harnesses.

Dog harnesses must have been invented by some twisted hater of dog owners. Every dog seems to wear a 'Julius'' harness these days. As a result many owners are pulled along as though they are water skiing. In strong men competitions it is easier for a competitor to wear a harness to pull a truck than a neck collar. The same principle applies to dogs.

I am going to make it my mission to stop every dog  wearing a harness and substitute a collar. I am then going to yank a pulling dog's head very briskly so that it immediately walks to heel. I will then return the dog with a " my work here is done" and look out for my next patient or victim.?

No doubty you will be able to read about me in the papers.?

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dog harnesses must have been invented by some twisted hater of dog owners. Every dog seems to wear a 'Julius'' harness these days. As a result many owners are pulled along as though they are water ski

Got to say I disagree with both of those generalisations, and I will explain why. When I walk my dog he wears a thick hide collar with a heavy duty brass loop and buckle, the lead is also thick hide w

I need one for my old deaf fecker on our morning walk, every turn he goes the wrong way ? I run to catch him, he thinks he's going the right way ?‍♂️  Cheers, D.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Extendey leads are my pet hate 

I need one for my old deaf fecker on our morning walk, every turn he goes the wrong way ? I run to catch him, he thinks he's going the right way ?‍♂️ 

Cheers, D.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Dog harness, a sign of a poorly trained dog full stop !

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

Or an owner who doesn't know any better. 

Got to say I disagree with both of those generalisations, and I will explain why. When I walk my dog he wears a thick hide collar with a heavy duty brass loop and buckle, the lead is also thick hide with a heavy duty brass clip. When I bought these I also bought a harness made from the same materials. The harness was bought as a safety feature for when I transported the dog to various woods and open spaces. It is then attached to the seatbelt socket on the back seat. In the event of a crash the dog would be securely restrained, nobody wants a 50lb dog flying around the cab, if that collided with your noggin at 30mph you'd end up with a bit more than a headache. If I had forgone the harness in favour of just a collar and secured that to the seatbelt socket, a crash would likely snap the dog's neck.

I will point out that the dog has good recall, always on a lead whilst plodding the pavements and automatically stops and sits prior to crossing any roads whether there is traffic or not. He is quite a strong dog but doesn't pull. He is not aggressive with other dogs or people, kids included.

My wife however, for reasons better known to herself prefers to walk him using the harness, and she has no problems at all. I have tried to explain the benefit of having control of the head rather than a loop halfway down his back but as I say she has no problems at all.

Wilf-crop.jpg.864ebc6ee913461867ed5fa21fac008f.jpg

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Mister Gain said:

Got to say I disagree with both of those generalisations, and I will explain why. When I walk my dog he wears a thick hide collar with a heavy duty brass loop and buckle, the lead is also thick hide with a heavy duty brass clip. When I bought these I also bought a harness made from the same materials. The harness was bought as a safety feature for when I transported the dog to various woods and open spaces. It is then attached to the seatbelt socket on the back seat. In the event of a crash the dog would be securely restrained, nobody wants a 50lb dog flying around the cab, if that collided with your noggin at 30mph you'd end up with a bit more than a headache. If I had forgone the harness in favour of just a collar and secured that to the seatbelt socket, a crash would likely snap the dog's neck.

I will point out that the dog has good recall, always on a lead whilst plodding the pavements and automatically stops and sits prior to crossing any roads whether there is traffic or not. He is quite a strong dog but doesn't pull. He is not aggressive with other dogs or people, kids included.

My wife however, for reasons better known to herself prefers to walk him using the harness, and she has no problems at all. I have tried to explain the benefit of having control of the head rather than a loop halfway down his back but as I say she has no problems at all.

Sounds like the dog was properly lead trained to start with mate, but imho that is the exception rather than the rule…..you don’t see many well lead trained dogs amongst the general population and (again imho) the ones you see with a harness are the worst……they usually have the harness on because the owner who couldn’t lead train in the first place has run out of ideas.

Sounds like you know what you are on with, most don’t 

On 29/10/2022 at 11:15, W. Katchum said:

Extendey leads are my pet hate 

Was going past a woman with a shitzu on an extendable I was on a bike she let the wee tic mop run up to my terriers I never noticed just felt the tugging my terrier had lifted it an was running along the side of the bike shaking it ffs.....so aye feck them things 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Mister Gain said:

That’s a cracker

1 hour ago, Mister Gain said:

what a superb pic mate,  lovely dog

I’m guessing none of you have had terriers that learn to wriggle out of neck collars .I use harnesses to stop that .One of my old bitches perfected the art of back up out of a collar ,don’t ask me how but no matter how tight within reason I did it she would wriggle out and be off after a cat or fight another dog .With 3 more on leads the escaper just had to meet me back home later .That trait spread to her daughter then son and now all 4 are on harnesses .

Theres no backing out of them ever .Safety for the dogs and others is paramount now when once I used to let them off and feck every other path user .

3 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I’m guessing none of you have had terriers that learn to wriggle out of neck collars .I use harnesses to stop that .One of my old bitches perfected the art of back up out of a collar ,don’t ask me how but no matter how tight within reason I did it she would wriggle out and be off after a cat or fight another dog .With 3 more on leads the escaper just had to meet me back home later .That trait spread to her daughter then son and now all 4 are on harnesses .

Theres no backing out of them ever .Safety for the dogs and others is paramount now when once I used to let them off and feck every other path user .

Had a Russel that was a bugger for wriggling out of collars. Wasn’t much of a problem till you wanted her on couples somewere ?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Dog harnesses used by sled dogs for pulling much like a heavy horse an it’s collar , then people wonder why the dogs pull them down the street .

Totally agree all the strength of a dog pulling is created through the shoulders and top half of a dog were a harness is  put the lead just behind its skull at the top of its neck you can control them with one finger and extendable leads if you can't let a dog run free get a cat it breaks me when I see spaniels or a runner on them things because the owner doesn't have the confidence or know how that they will return which if they would if they could have a run 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Mister Gain said:

I agree i dont mind a dog pulling on a lead id even encourage it....i think theres great benefit to it in terms of exercise for certain types of dogs.....but yes,they have to be able to walk by your side when told as well.