Raw dog food

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

used to feed 5/6 terriers and 2 runners for about £2:50/£3:00 per day...that's doubled easy since start of the yr,was paying 70/80 p per pound of various minced raw,same stuff is £1:25 a block now...and I've noticed the quantity slipping,stop stocking certain stuff everything is geared towards the furmummies who will spend what ever ? supermarket only knocking a few pence of stuff,no more bargains to be had  ?

If I was not topping they're food up with some meat they catch it would be a struggle 

• Like 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing like the sheep's head rising through the froth and the eyeball glaring at you. ???

You guys are right,.. the raw meat situation has definitely spiralled out of control? Most Butchers nowadays , have chosen to sell their scrap meat for dog food, and process everything into 'pet

I personally think raw feed prices have gone mental I used to pretty much fill two chess freezers for £80 of a good mix of raw foods I used to buy in as it was all waist products it was cheap as chips

Posted Images

You guys are right,.. the raw meat situation has definitely spiralled out of control?

Most Butchers nowadays , have chosen to sell their scrap meat for dog food, and process everything into 'pet mince'.. Obviously, they would be foolish not to utilise everything at their disposal to help pay the rent, but it is a bit of a blow to the lad with a team of running dogs and dirt dogs...It makes everything kinda pricey..?

The Slaughter houses have also tightened up on certain matters and you really do need to be, 'in the know' and well in , to get a regular supply from such places.  I have been fortunate in securing fallen stock , via the Local Hunt, but even that avenue can dry up ..  so, ya just gotta improvise and give the dogs, what you can...

No different to previous hard times,. and a canny hunting man will always survive....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
6 minutes ago, D Lloyd said:

Same mate

I've been getting 20 kg sacks of stockie rainbow trout,but not been down and seen the lad for a while...my dogs will eat dogfish,conger,turbot, mackerel,sprats,sea bream etc that we catch,they love chewing on  fish heads but they want a small fortune for them now at raw food place?

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I've been getting 20 kg sacks of stockie rainbow trout,but not been down and seen the lad for a while...my dogs will eat dogfish,conger,turbot, mackerel,sprats,sea bream etc that we catch,they love chewing on  fish heads but they want a small fortune for them now at raw food place?

You lucky you good at fishing mine would starve waiting for me to catch dinner lol

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

You guys are right,.. the raw meat situation has definitely spiralled out of control?

Most Butchers nowadays , have chosen to sell their scrap meat for dog food, and process everything into 'pet mince'.. Obviously, they would be foolish not to utilise everything at their disposal to help pay the rent, but it is a bit of a blow to the lad with a team of running dogs and dirt dogs...It makes everything kinda pricey..?

The Slaughter houses have also tightened up on certain matters and you really do need to be, 'in the know' and well in , to get a regular supply from such places.  I have been fortunate in securing fallen stock , via the Local Hunt, but even that avenue can dry up ..  so, ya just gotta improvise and give the dogs, what you can...

No different to previous hard times,. and a canny hunting man will always survive....?

_PHL9240.JPG

Them bones are great phil especially for free,I used to get them from butcher,all cut into hand size portions,but i stopped durning summer an been feeding tracer 28 with couple of eggs,but il be going back now that it's winter.

Is it purely the price that stops people using these raw completes,places like Durham Animal Feeds and suchlike....they seem to be cropping up all over i was even chatting to a young lad starting out in business with a little unit near me selling raw food i couldnt work out if he was just doing it to clean drug money or it was a genuine business venture ?.....then i realised with so few old school butchers and the recent fad of raw feeding its probably a legit business, it all seems much simpler with these basic 80/10/10 meals than it was when we used to feed raw years ago.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Is it purely the price that stops people using these raw completes,places like Durham Animal Feeds and suchlike....they seem to be cropping up all over i was even chatting to a young lad starting out in business with a little unit near me selling raw food i couldnt work out if he was just doing it to clean drug money or it was a genuine business venture ?.....then i realised with so few old school butchers and the recent fad of raw feeding its probably a legit business, it all seems much simpler with these basic 80/10/10 meals than it was when we used to feed raw years ago.

few yrs back,I could spend £80 and had enough to feed 6/8 dogs for 6/8 weeks a time....now the puppy peddlers are all feeding it the price has tripled some places...I'm lucky the lad I use puts mine away for me and I pick it up on a Saturday or Sunday if I'm not working ... otherwise his freezers are empty same day it comes in?butchers have caught on,so sell their off cuts now...some prick offerd ours more money and that stopped me having it...even though I supplied them with venison/bits and bobs for yrs for next to nothing ?it's hard to find anyone who has it constantly,they spring up,go for a few months then disappear ?

• Like 1

I don’t have the freezer space to store a load of raw so just get 3 or 4 packs of £1.60 20% fat beef mince and a kg of chicken wings a week from aldi for my runner. Skinners  biscuits, half a pack of the beef mince and then eggs and tins of fish and chuck him couple wings as and when  doesn’t seem to be too expensive this way to me. Perhaps be cheaper buying pet grade stuff would that keep fresh for a week in the fridge? 

• Like 3