Interesting pups.

13 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I wonder if that's the same Irish lad I met some years ago ?

He was breeding Saluki/Greyhound/Borzois.

He had three 18 month old dogs with him. Very nice looking dogs and he said they did daytime hares and offered me one for £300 with a trial.

I was tempted but had two running dogs at the time so passed on it.

Cheers.

I'd imagine it could be, it's a pretty unusual cross. One well known pig hunter over here had borzoi, I don't know if they were crosses but he shot the whole litter at 6 months because they weren't working good enough on pigs. The poor pups would be just getting their legs at that age. The bloke thinks he knows dogs but he's just a fckwit.

4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I'd imagine it could be, it's a pretty unusual cross. One well known pig hunter over here had borzoi, I don't know if they were crosses but he shot the whole litter at 6 months because they weren't working good enough on pigs. The poor pups would be just getting their legs at that age. The bloke thinks he knows dogs but he's just a fckwit.

Yes, judging a dog too early is a fuckwits mistake. Bigger breeds often tale longer to mature and as you say "find their feet"

• Like 1

often see some nice looking lurcher pups,that look like they could do a bit being advertised by the irish boys,the prices they are charging for pups are wellbelow average uk prices, most of these pups parents will have been worked on most quarry, as iwell knowthat the irish lads are real passionate dog men, seen some damn good gundogs, terriers, and lurchers, come from the north and south of ireland, often thought about making the trip over to get a dog, but getting there  and getting back wouldcost me far more than the price of the pups,what with ferry charges and transport costs, it would be a  non starter, could get a pet courier to pick it up, but its always a good thing to go and see what your buying, and see the conditions and how its been fed, and reared.

4 minutes ago, grompz said:

often see some nice looking lurcher pups,that look like they could do a bit being advertised by the irish boys,the prices they are charging for pups are wellbelow average uk prices, most of these pups parents will have been worked on most quarry, as iwell knowthat the irish lads are real passionate dog men, seen some damn good gundogs, terriers, and lurchers, come from the north and south of ireland, often thought about making the trip over to get a dog, but getting there  and getting back wouldcost me far more than the price of the pups,what with ferry charges and transport costs, it would be a  non starter, could get a pet courier to pick it up, but its always a good thing to go and see what your buying, and see the conditions and how its been fed, and reared.

What's the legal position  when buying a pup from Ireland? I think there will be two sets of laws from North and South. I guess it could be complicated following brexit. Are couriers able to deal with all the paperwork?

On 28/10/2022 at 10:43, Aussie Whip said:

I wonder why they ran all those pups on to that age.

Probably pregnant bitches from Romania flown in and then punting them on. Would anyone actually believe the cross they are? 

Only a peddler would have the audacity to advertise two litters at the same time with zero information. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

What's the legal position  when buying a pup from Ireland? I think there will be two sets of laws from North and South. I guess it could be complicated following brexit. Are couriers able to deal with all the paperwork?

just going on what a few of the irish boys have told me , if your bringing dogs from south to north you need a pet passport with all  details including anti rabies and other jabs from a vet, if in the north transporting to uk asfar as i know no paper work required, could be totally wrong, sure the irish boys on this site will put the record straight,dont think couriers got a problem with transportation,cant really see how this legislation works to be honest.

20 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Yes, judging a dog too early is a fuckwits mistake. Bigger breeds often tale longer to mature and as you say "find their feet"

I had an Oz staghound, roo dog pup years ago that showed no interest at all in chasing anything for 18 months, I was concerned but one day it just clicked and he was very good at his job. He was from an old line of working deer/greys too. He was unusual dark ginger colored and very big.

Edited by Aussie Whip