Tethering or free loft?

KEZ'77'

You have to tether him otherwise how will you be able to man him? Also he will crash around the unfamiliar aviary and damage his cere and feathers.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you sound like you need a mentor. Is there anyone nearby that you can get advice from and that can check on your bird to make sure that all is well?? You really do need someone that can physically help you out with fitting the furniture etc.

• Like 3

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, yeah it's first time I've had 17week old h/h, but I've had a female h/h, she was 2yr old, got aggressive and footy, I think she wanted too breed, I have falconer too put furniture on the bird, she very experienced, flys goshawks.ill take your advice I'll tether him,,,,, so I don't feed him until he is on the Glove? ? ? 

2 hours ago, KEZ'77' said:

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, yeah it's first time I've had 17week old h/h, but I've had a female h/h, she was 2yr old, got aggressive and footy, I think she wanted too breed, I have falconer too put furniture on the bird, she very experienced, flys goshawks.ill take your advice I'll tether him,,,,, so I don't feed him until he is on the Glove? ? ? 

I would ask the woman that you know for advice and guidance. If she flys goshawks helping you with a male harris will be a breeze, good luck. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

See iv always admired that about the bird folk, if dog lads used mentors there would be less shite about I suppose, if I knew somebody decent local I could see me taking plunge myself at some point, but I’d never dream of doing it without somebody that knew there feathers close to me to start with ?

I totally agree Don, I learnt about the dogs from a few of the best in our area.?

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye I was taught dogs by guys who knew the score, watched loads of other folk with there dogs over the years an that with the actual time I had out with dogs seems to have saw me right, as I said if I thought somebody local could help when needed them I’d love a spar ?? maybe one day ??

Go for it mate you'll enjoy the experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BEARINATOR said:

Yes defra are trying to get it stopped by the back door. 

verb
  1. tie (an animal) with a rope or chain so as to restrict its movement.
    'the horse had been tethered to a post'
    synonyms: tie, tie up, hitch, rope, chain, fasten, secure, bind, fetter, shackle, restrain

On 31/10/2022 at 19:42, W. Katchum said:

Aye I was taught dogs by guys who knew the score, watched loads of other folk with there dogs over the years an that with the actual time I had out with dogs seems to have saw me right, as I said if I thought somebody local could help when needed them I’d love a spar ?? maybe one day ??

Starting with a Spar is not the best option even though i did exactly that as a kid, Took it from the nest too early. turned into a mal imprint, screamed its fuckinh head off every time it spotted a human. Even ended up making a soundproof box for it. But once out hunting it was totally silent, I took all sorts with that bird from racing pigeons to teal. The normal is to start with a Harris but that means you will be stuck with it for the next 35 years plus unless you pass it onto the merry go round just like dogs really. 

On 31/10/2022 at 16:49, KEZ'77' said:

Good fun manning a young bird specially the first few days.  Good fun when you see a novice that thinks its guna be a breeze ?. Bird flops back off the glove legs sprung back like a coiled spring ready for the hold on your free hand lol Then you've got the other end too that's just as worse at causing damage an pain lol. It's all about time you spend with the bird. The more time you put in the more benefits you'll reap. Soon as the bird does that flopping back move just gentle place the bird back on the glove. The bird won't take its eyes off you. After you've got the bird comfortable in just sitting there. Place the bird back in the flight on its D perch. Me id of picked the bird up at the weekend so then you've got the full morning to spend with the bird. Then get the bird out again you'll have to spend a little time putting him back on the hand at this time just sit there with a leg off a day old chick. At first he won't take his eyes off you not even for that leg lol. Then all off a sudden he'll get confident on sitting there an give the leg a look wanting to tuck in , But still in his mind thinking no f**k that. But just talk to him reassuring the bird he's fine. I used to elevate my arm up so that the bird would slip abit onto my arm off the glove at this time the birds head would be a little bit closer to my hand. The bird would be concentrating on me an it's footing too balancing . Then all of a sudden the bird would start to eat. The feeling once you've got the young bird eating is a good feeling. Back to housing the bird like you've been told don't let the bird fly free in the flight because you'll be back to square one trying to catch the bird. You'll get frustrated an the bird will pick up on that and get stressed too. Good luck ? 

Edited by Bangersanmash
On 31/10/2022 at 16:54, W. Katchum said:

See iv always admired that about the bird folk, if dog lads used mentors there would be less shite about I suppose, if I knew somebody decent local I could see me taking plunge myself at some point, but I’d never dream of doing it without somebody that knew there feathers close to me to start with ?

I've taken the plunge,,, I got my Moby(male h/h) I got him from a conrad falconer, he export peregrine falcons to Dubai, he put the furniture on for me, t, b, h, he looks like he got abit of peregrine in him, he 20wks,ive free lofted him, fed him through the shoot, he coming along coolio ?