Strange Thing you see whilst out in the countryside

Years ago when i first moved over this way i ran into a bunch of weird fuckers dancing round in a circle dressed up in robes with candles doing some mad ritual in the early hours outside a place called Copped Hall near me....i just watched from a distance for a while before heading off back home wondering if the countryside might not be for me after all ?

Edited by gnasher16
  • Haha 3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I came across some migrating minnows on the River Dearne. I had sold all my photography stuff a couple of years earlier after sustaining an eye injury so all I had was a digital slr.  No macro lens or

another first for me ..been doing a job, building retaining walls,steps,fencing for a customer few weeks back,garden backed on to a stream and horse stables,I set a few live catch traps,ended up with

The sitting quietly by the water aspect of fishing allows you to witness a lot of nature’s wonders ?

Posted Images

8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

I remember taking the mrs to Venice thinking i was being all romantic.....f**k me what a mistake that water certainly kicks up a stink in summer months....not for me that place !

We used to go in January. No tourists, water clear and fresh, and low sunlight which is important for photography. First time though we had assumed that it would be warm. It was freezing - literally. General Garibaldi's fountain statue was sheaved in ice. We wore everything that we had taken all at once. My wife saw herself refelected in a window and said that she looked likd Paddington bear.

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

We used to go in January. No tourists, water clear and fresh, and low sunlight which is important for photography. First time though we had assumed that it would be warm. It was freezing - literally. General Garibaldi's fountain statue was sheaved in ice. We wore everything that we had taken all at once. My wife saw herself refelected in a window and said that she looked likd Paddington bear.

Now that sounds like a proper trip on acid mate...

• Thanks 1

Once fishing on a small reservoir on the edge of the Pennines. The entire end of the water where we were fishing started spinning in a giant whirlpool. From memory it lasted about a minute from start to finish. All the reservoirs are joined by valves to transfer water down the system to the water treatment works but this must of been a giant valve with the size of the whirlpool, it must of been 50 meters across.

Out lamping years ago up around Devises with a mate .We we’re on permission and about midnight ,heard the sound of running in the next field .First thoughts were cattle but what came through the gateway surprised us both .Army fellas in full kit running in a v formation .Ishone the lamp in the leaders face but he never deviated at all .In seconds they were gone over the brow .

Another time ,fishing a lake near same location ,night fishing with same mate just on dusk ,a line of bubbles came towards me and a frogman emerged right in front of me .To say I was surprised would an understatement .Never said a word ,just took off the flippers and started jogging across the field behind .

Two cool things I've seen recently while out in the field.

First, while away roe buck stalking, last light had gone and my mate was cooking tea on the tailgate while I brewed up and started setting camp for the few hours until we would be away for the morning stalk. I was looking at the sky when a meteor about cut it in half! It was so big and bright it left a visible vapour trail in the night sky.

Second was about a month ago, I watched a munty literally chase a fox across two grass fields until I lost sight of it. It was probably 5 yards behind this fox the whole time. 

• Like 3

Once ferreting for some lads on an hawking holiday at Blair Athol up Scotland and a lad's Harris hawk took off from his fist and disappeared through the trees at least two hundred yards away to nail a big male stoat how it spotted that still amazes me to this day. Another sight that i remember well was once wile fishing off the ferry terminal on Sanday in the Orkneys as the light was fading hundreds of fish i think they were pollock were shoaling against the port wall for what reason i don't know the lad who pointed it out to us later went on to help in the murder of the son in laws Father on the Island he has since died of cancer as they say it's a strange old world sometimes.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

Me and the misses were out on the hill one day and bloke walked passed us mid winter in shorts and t shirt carrying a bag , bit strange but nothing crazy couple days later in a different spot same guy same clothes same back but 10 miles away i froze and she was tapping me asking am I seeing what she’s seeing ? still no idea who he was and why but very odd 

When we were kid's we used to wander up the backroads about a mile from my house and we regularly see a fella from the other end of my housing estate walking with a wheelbarrow he was a strange cnut and we would run when we see him and it turned out he was dumping bits of his wife and another woman he met in a pub,he got done for it a few year's later 

I know most on here won’t believe me but I seen what can only be described as incredulous, unbelievable and certainly something that will never be seen again. I know most of the hunting life experts will call me out on this and reckon I’m bullshiting but I actually witnessed one of Tomo’s dogs catch a rabbit …

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
19 hours ago, paulus said:

Just to prove the old saying that Rabbits and Hares don't mix. 

hare4.jpg

I've a bit of permission that hares and rabbits mix on although it's not a common sight on other places 

Edited by BobDown
5 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Once fishing on a small reservoir on the edge of the Pennines. The entire end of the water where we were fishing started spinning in a giant whirlpool. From memory it lasted about a minute from start to finish. All the reservoirs are joined by valves to transfer water down the system to the water treatment works but this must of been a giant valve with the size of the whirlpool, it must of been 50 meters across.

Ladybower reservoir has such a thing. If you stand at the fishery office looking over the res' it is on the far side of the dam. Many of the Pennine dams are of the same design.

Mate shot a rabbits years ago with the ,22  catching it a bit far back .It scrambled for the hedge burrows but I was faster .As I got  to it a badger cam rushing out the hedge and grabbed it in the half light .We had a few back and forth before he realised his mistake ?

sat on an earth once waiting for the dog to settle,could see 2 wood pidgeons in a tree doing the old courtship dance...out of no where came a little sparrowhawk Spar and grabbed one of them,the other bird was attacking it trying to get it to let go..the hawk dragged it into a little stream and held it under the water to kill it... thought f**k you won't see that everyday ?

• Like 6