An eventful evening

My mate asked if I’d go up to his farm this evening as he’d seen a fox in the yard, so I got there around 7 where I was met by him and his dad, well, it turned out that there was some terrier lads having a dig on his land without permission so that was the first thing to be sorted, now I won’t go into it because here isn’t the place, but what a complete bunch of disrespectful tw*ts, if you are told no then accept it and move on, 

anyway, after that carry on my mate said he’d stay out with me so we headed to the far side of the farm, no need for the caller, I spotted heat the other side of the hedge, giving it a little lip squeak it turned out to be  a hare, bugger I thought, but looking to the left a fox had come into the field, nv on and it was down no more the 70 yards, a nice vixen, we hung around that end of the farm for another 30 minutes or so but didn’t see anything else, so we moved back over towards the wood, caller set out 60 paces up the field from us on hare distress nothing showed, switched to vixen in heat and within 10 minutes we had one screaming in, completely the wrong side of the wind, it got a whiff of us and took off back towards the wood, I just had to let this one go and will have to try again another time, at least I know where it came from and where I need to be next time ?

7F011CF8-009A-461C-BC5E-5924F20A9CCF.jpeg

• Like 10

That's a rum do mate, some pricks I'm every walk of life.

Had an eventful evening myself. Got a call from village resident saying some sheep loose in the woods. The absolute worst phone call, especially as my first Saturday off in months. Got up there & very relieved to discover not ours. Heard right commotion in our woods though so went to look. Couple of townie good lifers like little bo peep searching for their lost sheep. Only 8 cade lambs so I offered to help. Got on bike & soon round-up into my trailer & I even took them back for them. Turns out they'd heard about bird flu restrictions so decided to house all hens. With hens away, they turned ewes into chicken paddock to graze (terrible idea) not having the sense to check fencing ?

Anyway, the woods they were in I've been feeding the rides well last 6 weeks, straw on rides had feeding & couple feeders. Was pleasantly surprised how many birds was there so thought I'll hang around for a bit to see if any fox has noticed the new feathered residents. 

Couple hours in, calling using wham mouth call & one comes slinking out of the woods real casual like. 170yds but totally locked on the call (I've a few mouth calls but imo the wham gives best results). I give sporadic blasts to keep interest until 100yds then turn pard008s on. Ballistic calculator check at 90yds (though on the 204 the calculator is a bit unescasary tbh). Coming straight at me face on.The way it was trotting in I reckon I could have let it come & tickled it under chin. But she stopped for a sniff of something at 70yds so I gave her a 32grn heart attack. Right in , anchor on spot. 

By now the rain was more persistent, and as I'm not a proper hunter, not like a couple of hard man, killers here, so I got back to my sofa to watch bridget Jones diary. ??

20221022_232206.jpg

20221022_232348.jpg

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 10
49 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Great effort Ben. That 204 and oo8 seems a good combo. Was tempted by 204 but thought it would be easier to reload 223 

Tbh Ed, I feel as though the ballistic calculator is wasted a bit on 204. Checking distances with it & seeing how little the POA alters really makes me realise how flat it shoots. I've got calibre variation in at minute to get a 22lr. Now on that I really think the 008 calculator will come into it's own. 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Tbh Ed, I feel as though the ballistic calculator is wasted a bit on 204. Checking distances with it & seeing how little the POA alters really makes me realise how flat it shoots. I've got calibre variation in at minute to get a 22lr. Now on that I really think the 008 calculator will come into it's own. 

Done the 22 many years ago Ben. I cant cope with the awful ricochet noise. I am a massive fan off hmr as well. 

But saying that I have been doing a rabbit clearance job on some sand dunes and .22 would have been perfect.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Done the 22 many years ago Ben. I cant cope with the awful ricochet noise. I am a massive fan off hmr as well. 

But saying that I have been doing a rabbit clearance job on some sand dunes and .22 would have been perfect.

I prefer the .22 for rabbits over the HMR, quieter and cheaper ....

20201020_145856.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

I've kept hmr (for now). I'm swapping .25 air for the 22lr.

• Like 1

I love a 22lr for rabbits and squirrels and anything else I should happen upon in range .I’ve not owned a HMR myself but I’ve been impressed by some aspects and not impressed by others . 
         I know a few keepers who swear by them , a good truck rifle . F@ck me , this arguments been done to death .???

• Haha 2