Let down but I still made the best of it

So tonight I was meant to be out on the moor for a bumper rabbit session with little Hugo’s dad, but he had rang his dad and ask if he could come over for a dad and son movie night so you can’t fault him for doing the good dad thing, anyway I thought I’d give the sheep farm a go, when I got there the wind was very strong and even though it was a 3/4 moon it was very bright. I decided to head to the back of the farm where there’s one big tree that would give me a bit of cover and some shelter, setting the caller out 40 yards down the field from me it was 15 minutes before I seen the unmistakable heat signature of a fox making it’s way down a tyre track on the other side of the rape field, unbelievably I was the right side of the wind, I had to move out into the open to get on it and with the wind blowing straight into my face I literally had to scream at it to get it to stop, settled just behind it’s left front leg it was down in the rape, 128 paces, quite a chunky dog, definitely not one of this years, another 20 minutes and I seen another making it’s way down the farm track on next doors land, I was convinced it would make its way to the bottom of the track and cross into the field I was in, but it just disappeared, I gave it another 30 minutes but once the rain started I thought sod it, that’s enough for me and headed home, so in the end it didn’t turn out to be a bad evening and we can always go out bunny bashing another night ?

E90ACF22-087A-43C8-A7CF-098E691BB675.jpeg

3C3E3ABF-26B8-40FD-ABA7-74F047A8D427.jpeg

• Like 11

I'm knackered. I walked miles after a pheasant yesterday and at 9:45 set off on two farms looking for Charlie. Never saw one. I'm starting to think I've got them under control and it seems they have stopped dropping them.

Saw loads of skylarks.

The wind was ace. It was a superb night but my knees and foot is killing me this morning.

I also don't understand why I'm not as thin as a rake!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I'm knackered. I walked miles after a pheasant yesterday and at 9:45 set off on two farms looking for Charlie. Never saw one. I'm starting to think I've got them under control and it seems they have stopped dropping them.

Saw loads of skylarks.

The wind was ace. It was a superb night but my knees and foot is killing me this morning.

I also don't understand why I'm not as thin as a rake!

It’s worth all the pain just see what we see ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ianm said:

Errr  a night foxing or shooting scabby rabbits?

No contest for me! ?

I love going bunny bashing at this place, there’s very few places around us that have rabbits  in these numbers, I cant think of anywhere else I shoot where you can do a 100 in a night 

15 hours ago, Stavross said:

I love going bunny bashing at this place, there’s very few places around us that have rabbits  in these numbers, I cant think of anywhere else I shoot where you can do a 100 in a night 

Yeah i was trying to make you feel better but i can see my efforts are wasted on you, i won't bother in future! ?

When i was younger my wages where fifty pound a week. I used to go out Friday, Saturday and sunday night if i could and i tried for 100 rabbits with the lurchers. If i got the 100 on the first night which we did quite often then i wouldn't catch anymore till the next week. Me and a mate went all over the place for them usually with four lurchers . It doubled my wages, i wouldn't know where to go now for numbers like that.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, ianm said:

Yeah i was trying to make you feel better but i can see my efforts are wasted on you, i won't bother in future! ?

When i was younger my wages where fifty pound a week. I used to go out Friday, Saturday and sunday night if i could and i tried for 100 rabbits with the lurchers. If i got the 100 on the first night which we did quite often then i wouldn't catch anymore till the next week. Me and a mate went all over the place for them usually with four lurchers . It doubled my wages, i wouldn't know where to go now for numbers like that.   

We did the same when I was a kid, on my YTS £29.50 out all weekend, rabbits, deer, fish, whatever we could sell down the workie club, did it until well into my 20’s but by then you could see the numbers just weren’t there anymore 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ianm said:

I have great memories of the good old rabbitting days .

Picked up a 1200 acre permission in the Scottish Borders in 1985 when it was moving with rabbits.

We would shoot ,ferret and lamp it taking thousands but it never seemed to make any difference there was always the same number the following year.

I remember going up one day with just the terrier and the shotgun, she would flush rabbits for me from the gorse and I shot 77

Another day just the terrier and the shotgun again , after shooting 10 rabbits the pin broke in my gun so spent the rest of the day with the terrier marking walls and rock piles and still went home with 55 rabbits....great times hunting the humble bunny but numbers hard to get these days.

• Like 2