Tench

On 12/10/2022 at 19:03, paulus said:

Lots of waters succumbed to the Mud Pig Brigade. This appears to be showing signs of turning again, Silver fish waters appear to be becoming more popular, The Carp world is a perfect storm Big egos' and greed form the owners and tackle producers selling loads of over priced gear that the angler does not really need, Just like pigeon shooters ??  

I found the float fishing for other species to be excellent on mainly carp waters, I used to have some fantastic Rudd, Roach, Crucians and Tench because they just were not fished for but getting fed plenty every week.

My personal hatred is these built for purpose “carp match” lakes, what a f***ing perversion of a principal ! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, WILF said:

I found the float fishing for other species to be excellent on mainly carp waters, I used to have some fantastic Rudd, Roach, Crucians and Tench because they just were not fished for but getting fed plenty every week.

My personal hatred is these built for purpose “carp match” lakes, what a f***ing perversion of a principal ! 

Agree with you mate, There's one near here, was originally a privately owned trout lake, now its classed as a commercial carp fishery, Fished it the other week, for every carp you hook (there all over 8lb) you foul hook a half a dozen or more. The match record is now over 350lb in a 5hr match. That said my biggest perch has been from a commercial and as you say the other fish are in the main, Overlooked. 

For the last 13 or 14 years I have only fished free waters, initially in the UK mostly derelict forgotten places. There is some fantastic fishing to be had in old canals and from the banks of urban rivers. 

• Like 1
On 12/10/2022 at 18:05, paulus said:

Even better when most were caught on a traditional lift method set up, Actually beat my PB of 8 years the other week with a clonking 8LB 12oz fish,

Absolutely love tench. I do mainly carping now but don't count tench if caught when carping. I've had an 8lbr when carping but as far as I'm concerned my PB is 5lb12oz caught on float when I was targeting them. For me tench are the best lb for lb stillwater fighters. Only barbel out do them but they are river fish not pond fish.

Teaching my little ones right, float fishing first.......

Screenshot_20220612-100823_Drive.jpg

• Like 6