The old days.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Late seventies I received a big bonus and a tax rebate in the same week, so me and the Mrs decided to take the kids to Blackpool for a long weekend. They each wanted to take a friend so their mates we

You lucky barstewards. All we ever got to do was a day out in Blackpool with uncle Jimmy's Blackpool taxi run. That's me in the front seat

We used to go to  West Bay most years ,camping .Back then it was a quiet seaside hamlet with few tourists .I’d be fishing almost most days ,off the jetty for mackerel .Catch one use it for bait and so

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

dick emery. 

Who the Fukk was that other bloke, big around the same time ~ American guy. For some damn reason I was always mixing them up. Crazy, because they were chalk and cheese.

There. Just strained like fukk to think of his name. See him plain as day. And what to I come up with? " Was it Dick Emery ....? " :wallbash: FFS!

10 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Benny Hill on in 20 minutes, (20:20), on That's TV (UK) channel 65 Freeview, if you fancy a bit of nostalgia ?

Cheers.

I 've just been watching Benny Hill on Youtube, that's what reminded me of our Blackpool weekend. Good entertainment.

Blackpool hundreds of times for the day run all through my childhood. Mid 80’’s we used to holiday for a week each year at the Regency Caravan park in Morecambe. Frontier Land Theme park day pass, Crabbing up near Heysham power station and mind a mate and me once fed a minor bird bubble gum and got screamed at ?‍♂️ Oh and we nearly got swept off the steps at high tide during a storm ?

• Like 1

We used to go to  West Bay most years ,camping .Back then it was a quiet seaside hamlet with few tourists .I’d be fishing almost most days ,off the jetty for mackerel .Catch one use it for bait and so on .

I remember an old boy hooking a monster bass that he had to walk up the beach to land .

Mum and dad had a large family tent whilst myself and brother had an igloo ,blow up thing that had a slow puncture .By morning it was flat on our faces which only added to the experience .
Pre Internet us kids didn’t need no more than what we could make or buy with pocket money and that was the same for everyone I guess .

The owner of the campsite had working Russell’s ,hard bitten tykes that captivated me at the age of 10-12 .Used to question him on what they did but even back then he was cagey ?

Breakfast on the beach using drift wood ,the smell of it cooking whilst me and bro were rockpooling .

We caught Blennies with hand lines using bits of limpets on size 14 hooks .

Went back there last year and despite the flu thing it was packed ,sadly with the wrong sort ,and the bars and pubs rammed and looking tatty .

We moved on to Lyme Regis which was worse ?

• Like 8
19 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

We used to go to  West Bay most years ,camping .Back then it was a quiet seaside hamlet with few tourists .I’d be fishing almost most days ,off the jetty for mackerel .Catch one use it for bait and so on .

I remember an old boy hooking a monster bass that he had to walk up the beach to land .

Mum and dad had a large family tent whilst myself and brother had an igloo ,blow up thing that had a slow puncture .By morning it was flat on our faces which only added to the experience .
Pre Internet us kids didn’t need no more than what we could make or buy with pocket money and that was the same for everyone I guess .

The owner of the campsite had working Russell’s ,hard bitten tykes that captivated me at the age of 10-12 .Used to question him on what they did but even back then he was cagey ?

Breakfast on the beach using drift wood ,the smell of it cooking whilst me and bro were rockpooling .

We caught Blennies with hand lines using bits of limpets on size 14 hooks .

Went back there last year and despite the flu thing it was packed ,sadly with the wrong sort ,and the bars and pubs rammed and looking tatty .

We moved on to Lyme Regis which was worse ?

That’s a shame, went to Lyme Regis as a kid and have very fond memories of the place.

Got my first ever fishing rod there and fished for the first time ever on the river Otter on the way back to where we were staying.

• Like 1