New York beckons

So,off to the big apple next year,I'm hoping to get to visit Cabela's,at some point,if there's any other places of interest that are not often advertised I'd be interested in hearing,...ground zero and maybe the natural history museum if I can find it,...6 day visit,..me and the demon,...,

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sight

I'll be with the wife ...there'll be feck all blowing of any form I can guarantee ye lol

I retired at 51 after 26 years out there and kept my airline benefits, including the free flights for me an my missus. We still travel a lot, the missus more so than me. I've not worked again, and don

Posted Images

Just now, jigsaw said:

So,off to the big apple next year,I'm hoping to get to visit Cabela's,at some point,if there's any other places of interest that are not often advertised I'd be interested in hearing,...ground zero and maybe the natural history museum if I can find it,...

Honestly I'd avoid actually buying anything about Cabela's or bass pro and the like, alot of it is over priced Gucci gear. Nice to visit and look around but smaller shops are where it's at. I got freinds who live in New York I'll ask them about som places to check out. Your just going to be in the The city or you gonna be able travel around some ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Been a few times, not my type of place, a bit to claustrophobic.

Enjoyed the south much more, especially Texas, but saying that, there's plenty to see and do in NY if that's your thing ?

Cheers.

I was the opposite funnily enough, didn't rate TX or OKH really. Nothing wrong with them, just not places I'd make the effort to go back to. I reckon Wyoming/Montana/Idaho/Colorado would be a bit of me though. Even Virginia and North Carolina.

Been a couple of times and really enjoyed it..

Ground Zero is a must imo... it is haunting!

I prefer the down town areas, soho, Greenwich Village etc, Manhatan is a bit "too much".. 

There's a cracking walk around an old disused railway line, can't remember the name but is not such a tourist trap and feels "real NY"..

The new trade centre is the best for views from the top imo, the lift up is mad... 

Grand Central is worth a quick look... the subway is easy to use..

Don't bother with taxis as you sit in traffic more than move...

China Town for a meal...

I'm a country lad, live in rural Devon but love going to Cities, perhaps as I have the country all around me... New York has everything you need for a city break... f**k you can walk some miles though...that grid system throws you...lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

So,off to the big apple next year,I'm hoping to get to visit Cabela's,at some point,if there's any other places of interest that are not often advertised I'd be interested in hearing,...ground zero and maybe the natural history museum if I can find it,...6 day visit,..me and the demon,...,

My mate lives there , can you take me a t shirt back ?? 

• Haha 3

Whilst you are taking Stiffs t shirt back, could you look up my ex brother in law? He owes me 700 notes. If he doesn't pay up, which is likely, could you  tell him he's a c**t and give him a Glasgow kiss on the bridge of his nose please? Thanks in the expectation  of a positive reply.

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 6
3 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Honestly I'd avoid actually buying anything about Cabela's or bass pro and the like, alot of it is over priced Gucci gear. Nice to visit and look around but smaller shops are where it's at. I got freinds who live in New York I'll ask them about som places to check out. Your just going to be in the The city or you gonna be able travel around some ?

I'd say the city,and travel a little but not for hours, herself will be looking to do a bit of shopping I'd expect...thanks ,a bit of local knowledge is a big help

Edited by jigsaw
3 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Whilst you are taking Stiffs t shirt back, could you look up my ex brother in law? He owes me 700 notes. If he doesn't pay up, which is likely, could you  tell him he's a c**t and give him a Glasgow kiss on the bridge of his nose please? Thanks in the expectation  of a positive reply.

Then, when youve sorted stiffs t shirt out, could u pop over to Indiana, about a 10 flight , and smack mr frazelle in the mouth, from keith 

• Haha 2

My missus and her pals used to fly the red eye from Jeddah to New York, do a days shopping , the shops would deliver the shopping to the check in desk, and they would fly back on the return flight !

They would also go the opposite direction to Seoul and do the same thing.

All on free staff tickets, halcyon days !

Cheers.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

My missus and her pals used to fly the red eye from Jeddah to New York, do a days shopping , the shops would deliver the shopping to the check in desk, and they would fly back on the return flight !

Cheers.

Very 90s.

36 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Was it a reality check coming back to Geordie land?  My nephew has worked as a spark in half a dozen different, oil rich countries and has lived like a king. When the jobs dried up he found it hard to handle being an ordinary Joe working shifts on 30 odd grand. But he actually loves wind and rain after sheltering from sun for years.