Grand day out

14 minutes ago, grompz said:

thats exactly what it is charts.bred from dave platts generation  english deerhounds, if you look at the the recreation of the english deerhound, dave platts explains what its about, so far ive owned a 7th generation,10 th and 11th generation of this breeding, very happy with them , suit what i use for , just right, 11thbgeneration pup, 8mths shaping up well, each to their own

Yes, mate, I understand Slieghty is in on the project with Platt.

I know a couple of my mates pure Deerhounds went down to Platts, although some people are denying it, I don't know why, they are well bred with plenty of Doxhope blood, and I can't see the problem, unless it doesn't fit in with their narrative.

Ive had most pures and crosses and a few first cross deer/greys, I don't rate them any better or worse than any other type, it's horses for courses, or hounds for grounds, for me, and, like you, they suit what I do, and I just like and get on with them.

Lima at 12 months;

IMG_1594.JPG.8745cd46378c5415bb6426f9b19791a6.JPG

Nancy at 9 months.

IMG_1692.JPG.4a649f4ac3d89ecab1d8fe4773e54c1f.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, grompz said:

thats exactly what it is charts.bred from dave platts generation  english deerhounds, if you look at the the recreation of the english deerhound, dave platts explains what its about, so far ive owned a 7th generation,10 th and 11th generation of this breeding, very happy with them , suit what i use for , just right, 11thbgeneration pup, 8mths shaping up well, each to their own

I know a couple of my mates pure Deerhounds went down to Platts, although some people are denying it, I don't know why, they are well bred with plenty of Doxhope blood, and I can't see the problem, unless it doesn't fit in with their narrative.

Ive had most pures and crosses and a few first cross deer/greys, I don't rate them any better or worse than any other type, it's horses for courses, or hounds for grounds, for me, and, like you, they suit what I do, and I just like and get on with them.

Lima at 12 months;

Nancy at 9 months.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Lima at 12 months;

Nancy at 9 months.

Cheers.

nancy is a beautiful looking bitch, like her a lot,she must be well ready for work this season, any recent up to date pictures of her,great to hear you still rate them heighly,atb with her, keep on keeping on,for as long as you can.

1 hour ago, grompz said:

nancy is a beautiful looking bitch, like her a lot,she must be well ready for work this season, any recent up to date pictures of her,great to hear you still rate them heighly,atb with her, keep on keeping on,for as long as you can.

Yeah, she almost 17 month, steadied out at 28" and 65 lb. She had a couple of runs on the lamp back end of last season and I saw enough to think she'll make the grade.

IMG_2054.JPG.f57b56da67b88002d640eef8d12c8a50.JPG

I'll start her daytime now, in fact she just had a completely unexpected run on a roe this morning. She missed it, but I saw enough to think she won't have any trouble with a bit more experience ?

Cheers.

P.S. no jokes about the slippers ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its always good to hear that a few folk are trying their hardest, to keep the old Deerhound Lurcher flag,.. flying high..?

Not really concerned, as to their motives, or even their concept of the finished article,.. just as long as the integrity of the type is maintained.. 

I've so many fond memories of Deerhound based lurchers, ..I would hate to see them disappear from view completely...

During the 1970's/1980's, everyone I knew,.. was running those crisp coated jukels,...and by feck,...there really was some quantity,.. of edible gear put to bed...?

Times change of course,...and a sensible hunter must always move on,...but, it never hurts to hark back and give credit,.. where it was most definitely due...

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9
On 03/10/2022 at 21:34, Shefflad69 said:

My mate had a cracking day couple of days ago his two year old deerhound won Hancock memorial cup happy days ?

IMG-20220925-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220925-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220925-WA0001~2.jpg

does your mate work this dog, if he does how does he find it, speaking from my own experience of working these dogs, they take to lamping like ducks to water,only takes a few trips out, and you can work them without a slip lead, good to retrieve, and easy to get on with, only catch edibles with mine,not fussed about using them on much else, both the 7th and10th generation were hellers on feral cats,always sensed they were about when out working them, not hard in the mouth on rabbits, but could dish it out if needed,always good to let you know if some one was about that shouldnt have been.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, grompz said:

does your mate work this dog, if he does how does he find it, speaking from my own experience of working these dogs, they take to lamping like ducks to water,only takes a few trips out, and you can work them without a slip lead, good to retrieve, and easy to get on with, only catch edibles with mine,not fussed about using them on much else, both the 7th and10th generation were hellers on feral cats,always sensed they were about when out working them, not hard in the mouth on rabbits, but could dish it out if needed,always good to let you know if some one was about that shouldnt have been.

Yea he works him just starting him on lamp he looking forward to taking him out on moors 

• Like 1

One of my favourite running dogs I used to see run was a big rough half  deer hound grey to a coursing type . 

he was the very epitome of what you would a stag hound like he’s just stepped from behind a swinging pan in front of a vardo or from a ranch veranda in the old west. The dog was just beautiful to look , and was a missle for day or night work . What a shame the type fell out of favour 

• Like 2