Collie Lurchers

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres my collie cross 7 now done everything ive thrown at him over the seasons. His dam was same i mated her to her own nephew to line breed from a very good line of collie lurchers with grey collie n

Never really had one before. Dogs in the past have been a bit of a hotch potch. But I love the nature of this one at least. Bright as hell eager to please and it's not a battle. Just wants to please

I went against my beliefs and got a half x, she has done 9 seasons now without so much as a knock, she will be 10 this Xmas, iv gone down the kelpie route now, I’m made up with her so far, this being

Posted Images

11 hours ago, socks said:

I have found that the people that struggle to train a collie cross are normally of lower intelligence than the dog ……

You may well be right mate, this fecker is still like a puppy, he will come, heel, sit, stay, jump all on command but sometimes still bounds when he's on the lamp! 

And the noises he makes when I come in, you'd think I'd been away a week, not just up to the shop ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What do people use for bedding in the kennels out of interest? PIssing down this morning so we didn't go far. Last thing I wanted was her in her bed all day soaked even after towelling down. Been using old rags and stuff but they need drying every ten minutes in this weather after shes been out 

18 hours ago, OldPhil said:

In theory, the canny Collie lurcher might possibly be the tyro/beginner's first choice,...but, in reality, in the wrong hands, they can be a total fecking nightmare ..?

definitely not for anyone after a "point and shoot" dog. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I can see how they could be a pain. Mine has a high energy levels to say the least. It takes a lot to tire her even now. She is not a big fan of being in the run during the day but in fairness is relativity quiet. When I stop for grub I let her out and  we do some thing even ten minutes training and then shes ok until the evening big walk. She is in a crate in house at night. I made sure there was nothing on it for her to reach but kept finding stuff in there some how. One evening watching tv out corner of my eye I saw this dogs leg reaching around the corner. Must been extendable lol was about 7 feet long ?  Twigged then she was like bloody cat hooking things in. The good points far out weigh the bad so far. Easy to train and lovely nature. One thing that stands out is she listens under distraction. Down the beach other day she took off to see some folks and there dog. One whistle brakes on flew back. A bomb could go off and she would still do as I ask at least for the moment. Once she gets used to the gun next year then it opens whole new world and I won't be going any where with out her

IMG_9926.JPG.b6e6adab9f6441a2f510eb304f77b43b.JPG

This fella still looking for a home pet or working don't matter as long as its a good permanent home

088303E3-31B6-4C1F-A8F0-218EC956DD9C.jpeg.842a2cc8b4b600a582faaeb07d5dcaae.jpeg

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, Marvel said:

In peoples experience what’s the best mix for the best alrounder 1st cross, 3/8ths 5/8ths or 3/4 grey 1/4.

deff a 1/4 collie x 3/4 grey, i had the 3/8 c 5/8 g , was tough type dogs good coat feet, but lacked that bit of pace i think , my mate had a hancock  1/4 bred c 3/4 grey, big 27 in rough coated dog , took plenty of rabbits, few hares in the day, and killed foxes solo in the lamp, all in all a better type lurcher , had plenty of brain fast and not bad wind, when kept fit .!

• Like 2
On 04/10/2022 at 17:01, socks said:

I have found that the people that struggle to train a collie cross are normally of lower intelligence than the dog ……

That would be me . Guilty as  charged. Cannot get on with them. Some are wired to the b*****d moon. Prefer thick dogs who don't think, don't sulk and don't stalk. Just like me. I like thick uns because they have an off  button. Merles are a pain, everyone wants to talk to you about a strange coloured dog. Feck that. Who wants to talk to people?

Yes it's got blues eyes. BIG f****n DEAL. Now f**k off.

A quarter collie is the most I would have in a lurcher.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 12
37 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

That would be me . Guilty as  charged. Cannot get on with them. Some are wired to the b*****d moon. Prefer thick dogs who don't think, don't sulk and don't stalk. Just like me. I like thick uns because they have an off  button. Merles are a pain, everyone wants to talk to you about a strange coloured dog. Feck that. Who wants to talk to people?

Yes it's got blues eyes. BIG f****n DEAL. Now f**k off.

A quarter collie is the most I would have in a lurcher.

So I can't tempt you with her brother then ? ? Your right about the merle mind every sod wants to pet her lol

Edited by terryd
  • Haha 1