Congrats sir mark Prescott

6 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Me and the misses both work. 

I dig worm, sandeel, prawn and crab. I charge £12-£15/lb for the worm ... I can do that 3/4 days a week all year ... do the maths 

about 15 tonne a worm a year to earn a descent wage 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always thought the great thing about the hunt field was how people from every background interacted and many times found much in common, lads from f**k all like me could stand and chat to people who

He just had the winner of the greatest race in n Europe the arc de triomphe   His mare alpinista  won the race with Luke Morris on the saddle  a great coursing man who liked chickens ? 

Something similar, LDR and I were beating on a shoot with Delta and Bruce, when a roe buck shot out of a dyke. Bruce nailed it and the head keeper came running over. We expected a right bollocking, bu

Posted Images

On 02/10/2022 at 18:00, JBs Left Peg said:

SMP

GK

Clarissa Dickson Wright and many others loved our crowd.

They with cigars us with roll ups ‘ they with champagne and Sloe Gin swapping us for bottles of blonde from Calais .

Maybe we spoke different but we all had a love of the Coursing and respect for each other.

Some life long friendships were made on them Coursing Fields.

Clarissa was a top old girl, met her briefly once and she was fantastic.

Proper old school England, a national treasure and as bright as a button.

Jonny Scott was with her but she was the Ray of light.

A great loss when people like her pass away. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, JBs Left Peg said:

I won’t mention one of the lads names but Clarissa had a soft spot for him and him for her  but friendship on the coursing field was as far as it went.

They used to make a bee line for one another for the craic .

I always thought the great thing about the hunt field was how people from every background interacted and many times found much in common, lads from f**k all like me could stand and chat to people who count King Charles amongst their close circle of friends…..old money people are normally spot on, it’s the new money people who can be pricks. 

• Like 7

I was at the local whippet track some months ago, and an old, very posh spoken lady came over and started talking to me about my young deer x.

You know the type, woolen tartan skirt, Barbour jacket and a pair of pedigree whippets. Reeked of "old money".

Anyway, she asked lots of questions about my pup.....age, breeding, parents, grandparents, etc, and ran her eyes and hands over the dog.

Next week she came straight over and asked me if I knew Mark Prescott, I said not personally but I'd met him once or twice, why ?

She said he'd like to buy my pup ! I said he's never seen her, she said she had recommended him buying it !

I politely declined, I wasn't selling a pup where all the hard work had been done.

Was she genuine or a bit barmy ? Who knows ?

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, JBs Left Peg said:

I had a similar thing happen to me re a coursing greyhound pup of around 9 months old that was gifted to me.

I was offered 1k by Geoff De Mulder early 90s

Refused and my biggest regret was never putting a Pure Saluki across her.

She was bred in the Purple as they say 

Dashing Oak x Anti Quarry

Dashing Oak was a Waterloo Cup Winner out of Village Bess lines if I remember rightly ?

The dam to my young bitch is an Irish coursing Greyhound that a pal sent over. She was sired by Mafi Magic, the Irish coursing champion.

Some say it doesn't matter what greyhound you use, sire or dam. I don't believe that.....use the best you possibly can ?

Cheers.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, JBs Left Peg said:

Use the best you possibly can re sire and dam whatever your breeding .

Years ago around 92ish ?

I put Sam the Man who won the Waterloo Cup over a Half saluki ( Tor of Dartmoor ) 1/4 grey - 1/4 deerhound .

I had them in the Countryman’s ( might of been the Shooting News then ?

I took a phone call it was Brian Plummer asking why I used Sam the Man how much was his stud ect

£150 I says . He said you may as well of used any old track sire and you get same result .

I disagreed ‘I said go to the best you can find no matter the cost 

He was a Waterloo Winner by Derby finalists with a Dan line in Sarah’s Bunny who was the last bitch at the time to win the English Derby trap to line .

Did you ever put your own greyhounds over any of your coursing dogs max or did you stick with coursing greyhounds 

26 minutes ago, JBs Left Peg said:

Use the best you possibly can re sire and dam whatever your breeding .

Years ago around 92ish ?

I put Sam the Man who won the Waterloo Cup over a Half saluki ( Tor of Dartmoor ) 1/4 grey - 1/4 deerhound .

I had them in the Countryman’s ( might of been the Shooting News then ?

I took a phone call it was Brian Plummer asking why I used Sam the Man how much was his stud ect

£150 I says . He said you may as well of used any old track sire and you get same result .

I disagreed ‘I said go to the best you can find no matter the cost 

He was a Waterloo Winner by Derby finalists with a Dan line in Sarah’s Bunny who was the last bitch at the time to win the English Derby trap to line .

Dam to my previous deer x bitch Lima, was sister to Westmead Hawk, out of Sonic Flight.

Sire was Doxhope Knights Errant, out of Doxhope Ambecky.

I like to do my homework before getting a pup ?

Cheers.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, JBs Left Peg said:

As Iv said we used to share drinks on the field ‘ them giving us whisky and SLO gin us giving them small bottles of blonde from Calais .

We had a very well to do bird in our taxi one year on the way to the coursing field a real smart stamp

After that she was strait over to us every meet we were all at wanting the craic .

People are people as I keep telling you

Some good some bad

I spoke to a bird once as well , I’ll never forget it . It was magical . Friends forever ????

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I went to the gym once as well it was amazing 

It was his typical answer a made up question ... I asked what he did for work and he put up a pic of second hand weights ?

He also went to a gym once ... if you look back he mentioned it for several days after. He apparently also went for a swim and a sauna 

There I was , stood in the beating line , when I met the heir to the duchy of skyfall . It was rumoured he had never ordered anything from a catalogue or spent a day in his overdraft . 

there we were with wellies chored from lowther show and 211 1/2 dog whistles , they had la chameus and beating sticks carved from illicit ivory ingrained with diamond filigreed . 

for that moment , we were friends forever , twin souls 

I seen him years later , as I was being thrown out of a local upmarket wine bar , as I landed in the pavement outside , I stared up and there was my lifelong buddy , him in a get you straight from horse and hound , me in jds finest window ensemble . 

“hello mate , remember me ? We used to go beating ? “ 

“farkkkkkkkkkkkkkk offffffffffffffff” 

moments I’ll treasure forever 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Met SMP a couple of times at the Cup. Bloke would/could talk to anyone and he was always 'holding court'.... 

My fave quote of his i was not there for. And i'd bet somone can tell it better than me.

It occured on another coursing field where a Roe buck got up infront of two coursing greyhounds and one turned off the hare and nailed that buck. SMP's reaction to the field was, "that dog doesn't know it yet, but it's got a wonderful carear right in front of it..." Or sommat like that... ?‍♂️