Crikey guys. Thermal imaging to see a pheasant. ? Really?. They are like the biggest thing when roosting. Given a clear sky or even cloud you can’t miss the outline. I know we are moving on but the old ways are the best. Jok.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jok said:

Crikey guys. Thermal imaging to see a pheasant. ? Really?. They are like the biggest thing when roosting. Given a clear sky or even cloud you can’t miss the outline. I know we are moving on but the old ways are the best. Jok.

Not just to see a pheasant jok no, handy for all sorts of things. Just to be out and enjoy being out in the night and see various wildlife. Also back in the day when I was younger and poached the odd rooster with a airgun,  never took a light or owt. Just looked for the silhouette and shot plenty with the right nightime conditions. Am also sure a thermal could let you know of any two legged wildlife approaching you, so you steer clear of any potential trouble. We used ride horses before cars come along, and use gas lamps before electricity. But we all moved on, so no I don't think the old ways are always the best. Just my opinion. Cheers atb 

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 03:10, Leo Sayer said:

Not just to see a pheasant jok no, handy for all sorts of things. Just to be out and enjoy being out in the night and see various wildlife. Also back in the day when I was younger and poached the odd rooster with a airgun,  never took a light or owt. Just looked for the silhouette and shot plenty with the right nightime conditions. Am also sure a thermal could let you know of any two legged wildlife approaching you, so you steer clear of any potential trouble. We used ride horses before cars come along, and use gas lamps before electricity. But we all moved on, so no I don't think the old ways are always the best. Just my opinion. Cheers atb 

Been there, done that.

get your sights lines up then swing into blob. Happy days. And nights.??

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 03:10, Leo Sayer said:

How much did it cost ? They look handy bits of kit ,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2022 at 16:17, jok said:

It's true that I'm new to the game an won't go out paying daft prices for thermal image cameras.. Get caught out local round my way they'll think your a peeping tom ? ? On a serious note though all the older guys I know always came home with a game bag full of bits an bats for ferrets. Like you say on a full one you'll see owt roosting up nice when grounds white with snow & skys are clear. 

I have been fancying one myself tbh like it or hate it modern technology is here to stay and even though i am an old school luddite i would have jumped at the chance of something like this bit of kit when i was bang at it poaching deer and raiding pheasant coverts on some really hot places.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I have been fancying one myself tbh like it or hate it modern technology is here to stay and even though i am an old school luddite i would have jumped at the chance of something like this bit of kit when i was bang at it poaching deer and raiding pheasant coverts on some really hot places.

In a nutshell tats. 

• Like 2