Bench Grinders?

What's to know, chaps?

Just a tool I haven't got, yet. Want it for occasionally making my hatchet a bit less of a meat tenderiser. Shit like that. About it, really ? 

6" seems de rigour. All the extra wheels seem to come in 6".

What are these stand alone stands like? Any good? My work bench is fukking useless. Few, unsecured planks on blocks. Kitchen table would be better. No room left either. Place is a mess, awaiting a winter project, to use some materials and reduce clutter.

Looking at Amazon Prime, primarily. Lazy kunt that I am.

Yep angle grinder with a flap disk is far superior imo. Keep all my work out flap disks just for putting edges on axes hatchets ect. Absolutely perfect for doing shaping work like this.

IMG_20220519_115006267.jpg.7604edd5bb1491210545a6176f8749af.jpgIMG_20220519_115016625.jpg.e34c9d1ea22083348a7b7d4514588465.jpgIMG_20220519_115656710.jpg.398eab41ef845b3410a9dad902cc46e5.jpg

I do have a double wheels bench grinder and I have under it in probably five years. Just plain no use. No a bench mounted belt sander is an great too too. Especially if you keep plenty of different belts 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ain’t had a bench grinder for years since giving up my little garage/work shop I just use a Mikita battery grinder now days for most jobs like making stuff or the yearly sharpen of the splitting axe ? gunner be making a hatchet for making kindle soon got a small axe head that’s beaten up that I picked up from a car boot and a nice bit of timber waiting to be turned to a handle up the shed ready for when winter comes an I’ve got nothing on so I can make a start I’m gunner make it a Viking style axe 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

@shaaark ? What ....?

Nothing wrong, mate.

Just found your solitary picture amusing, with the cool bubblegum emoji lol ?

And, if you decide to fashion a viking style axe, like poxon, PLEASE let us know, and share the pics!!  ??

Edited by shaaark
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Just found your solitary picture amusing.

Thing, with me, mate. I do it out of respect for the lads who bother to offer some insight. Shows I haven't just asked, just to get my post count up. And then, I've considered and acted on the advice offered ;)

I'm cool as fukk, like that 8)

:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Thing, with me, mate. I do it out of respect for the lads who bother to offer some insight. Shows I haven't just asked, just to get my post count up. And then, I've considered and acted on the advice offered ;)

?

2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Sharpens a new axe other day with 4” grinder with a 40 grit like yours above took two mins to get a good edge on it.. but if your after a bench grinder I got a b&q special bout 20 year ago, it’s had loads of pain and still going strong, looks exactly same as ones there sellin now for £37 just different brand 

• Like 1