Ranging with classic reticles

Hi all

was wondering if anyone has some recommended reading or experience ranging with a “classic” reticle? ( german ret 4 or modern equivalent,…)

I understand mil and mrad scopes from my airgunning days, but for my future hunting rifle I was looking at  a more classic version as I believe most shots would almost always be under 100 yards and the hunting scopes (with the desired magnification range, …) here hardly ever come with a ranging reticle. ( I know ranging or bdc turrets can be had but at high cost).  Pbr is one thing but for the longer shots I’d like something that gives me slightly more confidence.)

so if anyone has any tips/ trics, how you do longer distance shots with duplex or german style, I’d love to hear about it! 

kind regards

A.

Hi kimE, I was hoping there was a way where I would not have to guesstimate ?

I guess I could put up a ruler and measure the distance between horizontal posts at 30 yard intervals at my most used magnifications, this should give me a quick idea of range given that I can guess the size of the animal correctly. ( or just use rangefinder if there is time). I do plan on, once I get my own spot with high seat or mirador, to set out some markers so I’ll always know the distance…

same thing wih the vertical post for range compensation I guess… I wish they made a reticle like the zeiss 60 with a couple of mrad marks true at say 10x on the vertical post, would truly be a versatile scope… then again everyone would just buy one scope and be done I guess.

Kind regards

A