• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stove went on yesterday so the kettle will be on until March, electric kettle will be going away for the winter in the next week or two ?

Saw this on Facebook    Can anyone help me ,terrible condensation in the kitchen ,if you can help please pop round ,the kettles always on .

All makes perfect sense mate... Who wouldn't "just put the kettle on" if their not "actively drinking tea"... I mean, when we're hacking the f**k out of the hedge to watch chickens, scouring

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, steve66 said:

That's seen some brews 

Cast iron its a garden ornament now brought it home when we were rabbiting as kids near the Aldwark steel works my mother had it as a fireside ornament then i ended up with it when my mother passed away. I often wonder how old it is.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I know we shouldn't have to, these days, and it won't be everyone's cup of tea, (pardon the pun), but I quite like the idea of going back to basics.

Getting by without the "luxuries" of life. Cooking and boiling a kettle on an open fire, I already catch and produce a lot of the food I eat. If the council would allow it, I'd have a goat on the allotment for milk, couple of pigs to fatten.

I've just got my television tax demand, so I'm in the mood to do without the TV ?

It all sounds a bit like going back to the 50's, and I'm not looking back thru' rose tinted glasses, I've been there, and as I said, we shouldn't have to......but there's definitely a lot more "belt tightening " to come ?

Cheers.

Been trying to get back to basics for some time mate just because our current situation is not sustainable, raping the planet to make chocolate spread and make up will eventually be our downfall and I certainly won’t be queuing up hoping the same Kent’s that got us here in the first place will save us ?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

the SMEG kettle

? Weird, them. I looked them up. I see they come with variable heat settings? WTF's That all about?

I once listened to a thing with two of these Tea Tasters. Blokes who's every day job it is to sip and spit. Able to tell, just like that, what was what in a tea. Weird fukkers.

Anyway, one thing I've never forgotten is how this bloke said the One, most vitally important, thing about tea was that the water Had To leave that kettle at a roiling boil. Basically, if it isn't roiling hot? Might as well pour it over sawdust and serve that.

Always stuck with me, that has. I still drink sawdust though. Long as it's warmer than body temperature and wet? Fine. Do like it strong enough to lift a Land Rover though.

Here's my favourite kettle. My little power cut stand by. I have a little gaz stove for it too. (I don't drink dill with it. That's just for size)

k.JPG.b84b9cb67e913a7b67538200040d49bd.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

? Weird, them. I looked them up. I see they come with variable heat settings? WTF's That all about?

I once listened to a thing with two of these Tea Tasters. Blokes who's every day job it is to sip and spit. Able to tell, just like that, what was what in a tea. Weird fukkers.

Anyway, one thing I've never forgotten is how this bloke said the One, most vitally important, thing about tea was that the water Had To leave that kettle at a roiling boil. Basically, if it isn't roiling hot? Might as well pour it over sawdust and serve that.

Always stuck with me, that has. I still drink sawdust though. Long as it's warmer than body temperature and wet? Fine. Do like it strong enough to lift a Land Rover though.

Here's my favourite kettle. My little power cut stand by. I have a little gaz stove for it too. (I don't drink dill with it. That's just for size)

k.JPG.b84b9cb67e913a7b67538200040d49bd.JPG

same as my old fishing kettle ?

12 minutes ago, gnipper said:

snow globe

Yeah. There is an awful lot of talk about, about how to descale them, Gnips :hmm:

Dunno. I've really no idea what the water's like, here. Never really fathomed that whole concept. Does hard water have a tattoo on the side of its neck?

Pretty:

k.JPG.76dcd16ef029d77d32452f97a0dc8835.JPG

Pretty damn fast to the boil too, in honesty. Sorry about the fuzzy photo. Had to mess around as the flash killed the colour)

So far, so good. It's a kettle. Thing I'll have to watch out for @dytkos is not smacking it on the tap ~ but cracking my mug against its lip, as I 'fill' it.

We'll see.

On 27/09/2022 at 19:51, Ken's Deputy said:

Yeah. There is an awful lot of talk about, about how to descale them, Gnips :hmm:

Dunno. I've really no idea what the water's like, here. Never really fathomed that whole concept. Does hard water have a tattoo on the side of its neck?

Brown vinegar is the cheapest and best way I have found Ken.. 

Your new kettle looks like it's got a steel type bottom inside..if you have hard water that metal will hold the limescale..

I used to cover the bottom plate with brown vinegar and click it on leave the lid open and click it off as soon as it starts to bubble or it will froth up and out the kettle..do that a few times then leave for a few minutes..and then flush with clean water..it will look like brand new each time you clean it then mate ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, king said:

if you have hard water that metal will hold the limescale.

Bingo! And the penny dropped! :wallbash: Just went and looked inside my Old kettle? Probably been hammering the shit out of that one for about a decade now?

Metal 'bottom'. Looks like a little, brown scorch ring round it. Where I'd guess the enclosed heating element would be?

Rest of the visible steel in there is Shiny clean! Water must be like a marshmallow! :good:

6 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Bingo! And the penny dropped! :wallbash: Just went and looked inside my Old kettle? Probably been hammering the shit out of that one for about a decade now?

Metal 'bottom'. Looks like a little, brown scorch ring round it. Where I'd guess the enclosed heating element would be?

Rest of the visible steel in there is Shiny clean! Water must be like a marshmallow! :good:

You are lucky to have soft water there mate..

My gran gave me a kettle about 30yrs ago to take to bath when I started on a road job..

That had an exposed element in the bottom.the kettle was 8yr old and the element looked brand new..

Within 2 weeks the element was white with limescale..the difference in water is crazy..

You can definitely taste the difference in soft and hard water especially in tea..

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, king said:

Within 2 weeks the element was white with limescale..the difference in water is crazy..

You can definitely taste the difference in soft and hard water especially in tea..

Yep! Remember seeing That! Like ye could chisel off long chunks of it! I remember it well!

Never gave shit like that a moments thought, now. But, yeah; Kettle's clean as a whistle. Got stainless steel kit here I've brewed and held beer in, for years. Never even crossed my mind that the taps 'n shit never got that ring of hard crust round them.

Excellent! I have baby soft water and my kettle is safe as houses then? Bonus! :D

• Like 1