Foxes attacking new born calves

On texting a farmer that I was going to have a look out Friday night ,she rang back saying they’d had a calf attacked while being born the previous night and the dry cow shed was stinking of fox .One of the calves ears had been chewed off !!!

Why she hadn’t phoned straight away is a mystery but not the first time here apparently .

We got to the  place about 10.30 after blanking elsewhere on other stuff and on driving up the back track around the building we were met with the farmer who had been out all evening with a torch as they had other cows calving .

She had seen 4 sets of eyes near the barns .
No sooner had we got the gear set than number one was casually strolling towards the buildings .Farmer left us and I duly shot the fox at 170 paces .

Vixen of small stature .

Waited around for a while then set off for the maize stubbles nearby .

Another fox headed our way so on sticks and a rangey shot of  247 paces .Another vixen and again small .

The next stubble field held 7 roe ,two munties and a fox .On sticks as per and a squeak by hand saw it racing in ,jumping stubble like a good un .

This fox wasn’t stopping despite shouts whistles and stamping and ended up about 15 m from us .All I could see was eyes in the pard ,not ideal .Mate shout again and the fox casually strolled to the hedge where it met it’s demise .Another vixen ,this time a decent size .

Back to the building and yet another fox in with the milkers .

Mate had my rifle and shot it out the window but unfortunately not a good shot .I had to get out and finish off sticks .

Another vixen !
Last fox not fit for viewing so here’s the other 3 vics .

Decided on black and white to avoid too much gore .

2BC168D9-F4CA-463B-94F8-22BB824CAF12.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I’ve never heard of foxes chewing on calves ,

is that a regular thing or is it because of the dry summer affecting other food sources ?

Apparently it’s happened before I got the foxing mate but I’m doing my damnest from now on to stop it happening again .

Never heard of it before myself so can’t comment on it tbh .I havnt seen the calf as it was pts for other reasons and taken by the hunt .

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Apparently it’s happened before I got the foxing mate but I’m doing my damnest from now on to stop it happening again .

Never heard of it before myself so can’t comment on it tbh .I havnt seen the calf as it was pts for other reasons and taken by the hunt .

Do you think the cow was struggling to birth it an that’s why it’s happened ?

be interesting if anyone else has heard of it 

I’ve heard of foxes talking piglets from outdoor piggeries but never messing with cattle ?

• Like 1

I heard of a struggling cow calving in the night and the calf nose was chewed off. I never saw it but had no reason to doubt their word.

I have seen them going around eating calf muck.

Rabbits are scarce here and any overpopulation is going to force the fox and badger to desperate moves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been re roofing a lean to at a farm I shoot last couple of weeks, the farm savage collie sits guard over calves and the lambs dependant on the time of year… he had a good growl at me other day when I went to see the new calf.. keeps the fox’s away?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Foxes are very opportunistic and will take whatever they find. 

Maybe the calf had died or was very sick ?

Farmer said it happened when calf was half out Mark .It did however have no roof to its mouth and was pts after birth .