Feeding times for dogs

Fitzwilliam

Deerhounds and othe large breeds can suffer from bloat, (torsion). One of the causes is thought to be over eating at one sitting.

Although I've never had this problem with deerhound bred lurchers,I tend to feed them smaller portions two or three time a day, just in case ?

Cheers.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Deerhounds and othe large breeds can suffer from bloat, (torsion). One of the causes is thought to be over eating at one sitting.

Although I've never had this problem with deerhound bred lurchers,I tend to feed them smaller portions two or three time a day, just in case ?

Cheers.

It can be stopped by raising the feeding bowl to chest height 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, socks said:

It can be stopped by raising the feeding bowl to chest height 

I take it that's a Joke how would that stop bloating slow the dog down eating its food feed small meals few times a day could held don't run it after feeding it and a couple of other wee things u can do to help it 

13 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

I take it that's a Joke how would that stop bloating slow the dog down eating its food feed small meals few times a day could held don't run it after feeding it and a couple of other wee things u can do to help it 

It’s not a joke it’s do with the amount of air swallowed whilst gulping up mouthfuls of food from a bowl on the floor compared to eating normally if the bowl is raised. 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, socks said:

It’s not a joke it’s do with the amount of air swallowed whilst gulping up mouthfuls of food from a bowl on the floor compared to eating normally if the bowl is raised. 

It could work But not with my Dogs my Dogs greedy c**ts thinks every meal there last lol ? saying that I think there's a specialy made Dog Dish to slow the dog eating its food fast could be wrong never had any problems with Bloating myself 

16 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

It could work But not with my Dogs my Dogs greedy c**ts thinks every meal there last lol ? saying that I think there's a specialy made Dog Dish to slow the dog eating its food fast could be wrong never had any problems with Bloating myself 

You're correct mate, special bowls to slow down eating;

IMG_2039.JPG.b70f044b07703ea4d2d061cfbe212721.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG.b4b71d7ac4c2d6433f08773f2ec5d616.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 1

young dogs under 12 m get breakfast meal,evening main meal,older dogs once a day in the evening,like to give the terriers a warm bowl of milky Weetabix before a mornings digging,runners get something light in the afternoon if I'm off out lamping and a nice big warm meal on returning to the house...I used to generally feed about 25/30% more meat,fat etc come the season,depending  on how they look,found that I feed less overall now they all inside compared to when I had them all outside ,easier to keep on top of their weight when they are outside permanently imo?

• Like 3