Mentioned to a few pals that I was about to make some quince jelly. They looked at me a bit quizzically and to a man said ‘what the hell is a quince’. Now obviously all you guys know what they are, but I wonder, do you? Anyway, I’m fortunate enough to have one in the orchard so was able to take a fruit in and a jar of the finished jelly. For what it’s worth I use it a lot in my various game pies. It’s well worth a look into the history of the quince. Jok.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you bake them like apples they have an almost apricot taste.

Or maybe apricots taste a bit like quinces?

Ever wondered why the label on marmalade specifies "orange" marmalade?

No neither did l.. Until a few years ago l realised that a pub l do the pest control for had several quince trees in a derelict corner .    Looking up ways of using up the bags of quinces l came away with l discovered that  marmalade was originally made with quinces. 

The supposed  story of how orange Marmalade came to be is that a jam factory bought up a ship load of rotting oranges cheaply .   They marketed the result as an exotic version of Marmalade  and it caught on.    I suppose "Rotting Orange Jam" doesn't  have a very commercial ring to it?

I tried making proper quince marmalade but it didn't  work very well. I stick to quince jelly these days . Or even better add it to a mix of other seasonal jellies.20220923_222314.jpg.67e0b6d6c9124e7065c3a069156eee3a.jpgThey are quite a hard   , dry fruit but l wonder if enough juice could be extracted they could make an interesting addition to ,or version of cider . 

Edited by comanche
  • Like 7

Moving on. Same kind of subject. Horseradish. Just about now I go out with the spade and collect some. Anyone on here do the same? Thing is. I was taught to collect the root either when the sap was rising or falling. I have found the strongest being the latter. Makes the eyes water but worth it with fish or beef. IMO. JOK.

Now then. No pics yet but how many of you make a meatloaf? Not too many I’m guessing. Well this afternoon I’m on the move. Think Arry may have a recipe and possibly a couple of others. If you wish, I will put mine on here with pics after about 4.30pm. Jok.

1 tbl spoon sunflower oil. 1 onion. 1 carrot. 2 garlic cloves. 2 tsp chilli powder. 1 tsp dried thyme. 300g minced beef. 300g minced pork. 450 g sausage meat.  7 tblsp tomato ketchup. 2 tblsp words sauce. 75g breadcrumbs. Tblsp dried parsley. 1 large egg. Salt. Black pepper. 2 tblsp brown sugar. 
fry the onion, garlic and carrot adding the chilli and thyme for about 2 mins.

transfer to a large bowl to cool.  Add the minced meats and sausage meat with the breadcrumbs together with 3/4 tbls of ketchup and the worcs sauce egg, salt and pepper and give it all a right good raunch round. 
line a couple of baking trays with streaky bacon and pack in the mix. 
take about 3 tblsp of ketchup with some worcs sauce and the brown sugar mixed heartily and spread on the loaves. 
bake for about 45 mins at 175 and you will hopefully have what I’m showing here. Just tried a little. Truly magnificent IMO. JOK

2755C3D1-BE2E-492C-9EAD-6E26D4F02E40.jpeg

70C3B58D-4BF6-421D-9C90-61A6526C7716.jpeg

4D835CC9-0091-455B-A709-5830ACBD00BF.jpeg

• Like 1