My mates malis

3 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Salukis good guards they are used in the desert for guarding are they not ? 

My pure saluki is a topper of a guard dog,there's a bite in him if ye push yer luck and come into the house,he's worth his weight in gold for that reason alone

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After seeing these in the flesh,I'm fairly confident ,their the answer to dispersing your worries on your dogs being stolen,.....fuk me,their serious dogs,you might break in,buy by hell you will not g

had this bitch from 8 weeks.coming up 4years.me vermin dog..37 kgs..will bike her 30+miles some days.free running,whats a lead.. i bike morning and night with her every day.. Have occasional biking ni

Nice dogs but they need way more work and stimulation than an average dog man can give 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Genuine question...have you any problem getting a rabbit or anything dead off them,....I was out with a Lucas bred dog,..big strong animal,he could kill most hares on most ground,but once he caught he'd take the hand off ye if you tried to retrieve it from him..nasty side to him

no mate  try it at first when young but i’m ok but other lads he will be like a wild animal to em ? slavering the lot i’ve had some laughs saying go grab that ? 

most good dogs i find can be nasty fackers he doesn’t like dogs near his kill either 

Edited by mC HULL
38 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

no mate  try it at first when young but i’m ok but other lads he will be like a wild animal to em ? slavering the lot i’ve had some laughs saying go grab that ? 

most good dogs i find can be nasty fackers he doesn’t like dogs near his kill either 

No offence but that just sounds like a badly reared dog to me with no manners, id never tolerate a lurcher that lifted a lip to a person. 

Must be a saluki thing because I've never seen it with terrier crosses. 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

No offence but that just sounds like a badly reared dog to me with no manners, id never tolerate a lurcher that lifted a lip to a person. 

Must be a saluki thing because I've never seen it with terrier crosses. 

my dog wouldn’t lift a lip to me kids or  ourlass he is like a puppy 

or even when off the lead he will swerve people he doesn’t know on the lead he will growl people up i’ll say give up and stop to talk he will just watch em 

the good uns have that bit a feral about em. he will be fine with with dogs in motor but not near a kill then  in the yard 4 dogs i’ll throw bones no bother just take one each no issues 

they guard a treat 

they are miles different to a terrier cross 

i prefer the ones that are abit feral you get a bond and a good un there great dogs 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Nicepix said:

As said, Malis aren't for everyone and their increasing popularity will result in tears just like happended with akitas. We found them too quick regards reactions. They were thought to be faster over the ground than a GSD but that wasn't the case. What they had was a manic aggression that most GSDs didn't have. The GSDs hit harder on impact, but the malis were like sharks, twisting and turning and putting much more effort in once they had latched on. The problem  with that in security work is the damage that can be caused. Bean counters would rather have a dog clamp on and cause bruises rather than rip a muscle out. Especially when the Force is being taken to court for an accidental dog bite. 

For me a good GSD or lightweight Rottie is the best security dog. But you can't find them these days and I don't rate the central European substitutes from Hungary and the Czech Republic.

Good sensible post that i dont have any knowledge or interest in guarding/protection breeds im more one of them " dont worry about the dog worry about the owner " types ? and cant actually see what real use flesh and bone is when it comes to protecting the private home/property/other dogs....but i can fully appreciate the use of such a dog in certain scenarios and have encountered a few at football matches etc.....i dont know what they were we just called them Alsatians or whatever but nobody is going anywhere with one of them attached to them so beyond that i suppose knowing how much damage NOT to do as a " stopper " must be a good quality in that type of dog.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Good sensible post that i dont have any knowledge or interest in guarding/protection breeds im more one of them " dont worry about the dog worry about the owner " types ? and cant actually see what real use flesh and bone is when it comes to protecting the private home/property/other dogs....but i can fully appreciate the use of such a dog in certain scenarios and have encountered a few at football matches etc.....i dont know what they were we just called them Alsatians or whatever but nobody is going anywhere with one of them attached to them so beyond that i suppose knowing how much damage NOT to do as a " stopper " must be a good quality in that type of dog.

In WW1 anything German wasn't highly regarded so German Shepherd Dogs became known as Alsatians. Same breed, different name. It went back to GSD in the 1960's.

The thing with our dogs is that until they get a live bite you don't know if or how the dog will bite on flesh. Training on the padded sleeve gives similar results, but once the dog can't see or sense the presence of a sleeve it does what it wants and there is no easy way of changing it. My first dog was true to the sleeve, but on the streets always took the runners down with the thigh. He brought them down and immediately released, containing them by barking at them. On the trainng field he'd take the sleeve and hang on until I gave the Leave command. In a crowd he would bite anywhere: face, arms, legs, knackers, anywhere.  I have a scar on my thigh from a football related incident at Rotherham where I copped for one from my own dog. The last thing you want in a crowd scenario is for the dog to lock on. 

I initially trained the second dog myself. I had noticed that when police dogs took the sleeve of a running man they always went under the arm, took it then put the brakes on and brought the runner to a standstill. I reckoned that was due to how the Training Schedule was set up. I did'nt want that so I trained Jaf differently before we went on the training course. As a result he took the sleeve at shoulder height at full speed. 44kg of bone and muscle flying through the air and hitting the shoulder at 40mph resulted in the training criminals also flying through the air following the dog, right arm outstretched like Superman. On the static criminals with sticks and guns he raced in full  speed, never slowed like the other dogs did, and just wiped the guys out at chest height. He was like a battering ram that attached itself as it hit.  They went down like skittles.

The lads on the dog section weren't keen on training with him for some reason ?

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Nicepix said:

In WW1 anything German wasn't highly regarded so German Shepherd Dogs became known as Alsatians. Same breed, different name. It went back to GSD in the 1960's.

The thing with our dogs is that until they get a live bite you don't know if or how the dog will bite on flesh. Training on the padded sleeve gives similar results, but once the dog can't see or sense the presence of a sleeve it does what it wants and there is no easy way of changing it. My first dog was true to the sleeve, but on the streets always took the runners down with the thigh. He brought them down and immediately released, containing them by barking at them. On the trainng field he'd take the sleeve and hang on until I gave the Leave command. In a crowd he would bite anywhere: face, arms, legs, knackers, anywhere.  I have a scar on my thigh from a football related incident at Rotherham where I copped for one from my own dog. The last thing you want in a crowd scenario is for the dog to lock on. 

I initially trained the second dog myself. I had noticed that when police dogs took the sleeve of a running man they always went under the arm, took it then put the brakes on and brought the runner to a standstill. I reckoned that was due to how the Training Schedule was set up. I did'nt want that so I trained Jaf differently before we went on the training course. As a result he took the sleeve at shoulder height at full speed. 44kg of bone and muscle flying through the air and hitting the shoulder at 40mph resulted in the training criminals also flying through the air following the dog, right arm outstretched like Superman. On the static criminals with sticks and guns he raced in full  speed, never slowed like the other dogs did, and just wiped the guys out at chest height. He was like a battering ram that attached itself as it hit.  They went down like skittles.

The lads on the dog section weren't keen on training with him for some reason ?

I was told that the malinois can be slow to release ? .

12 minutes ago, paul sr said:

I was told that the malinois can be slow to release ? .

Yes, they can be a bit manic. Some GSDs were too  but often that was sleeve preoccupation and they left OK on a live bite. But some mallies were a nightmare. Once fired up their level of aggression bordered on psychotic.

They had only just started to come in during my time whereas the Belgian and Dutch police had used them for years. Maybe their dogs or training methods were different. After all, our training manual  was based on training GSDs and started the biting excercises with goading the dog to bite. It might be that Malies needed a hold/leave routine in place with an empty sleeve or large tugger before going onto man work. That is what I did with my second shepherd, but for a different reason.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, paul sr said:

The malinois saved a lot of service men in Iraq and Afghanistan . 

Was that just, from the land mines going off etc, as all gsds, and mals, Dutch shepards, have great nose for finding anything, they find the mines, so saving the men, wonder if they did man work out there as well. I know what nicepix says regards a full on gsd power, my dog only 1/2 gsd  1/2 greyhound,  but even though he old now at 10, he could still  take me off  my feet, like he nearly did last night, a cat came out of a field by me, get few cars about, so keep him on lead, that prat nearly took me in the road to get at it, hard to hold 40kg  dog when fired up. Lol

7 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

A read the taliban kidnapped a Mali a few years ago from sas 

Didn't know that, prob  shoot it, to stop it finding the mines, don't think they train it, as norm bond to there handler. 

On 22/09/2022 at 23:07, jigsaw said:

Genuine question...have you any problem getting a rabbit or anything dead off them,....I was out with a Lucas bred dog,..big strong animal,he could kill most hares on most ground,but once he caught he'd take the hand off ye if you tried to retrieve it from him..nasty side to him

Any dog that doesn't submit to the owner / handler or their family doesn't know its place in the pack. Time for some discipline to be installed.

• Like 2