Potential newbie

Just been reading through some of the stuff on the bird side. I've always wanted aviaries since seeing John Wilsons (if ur into fishing you will know) I have lots of space as we are in the sticks here so could build aadecent sized aviary but was only ever considering for enjoyment of seeing the birds.

When I grew up budgies were free and canaries were 2quid.

Reading sone of the posts it seems it may be worth breeding when ur saying 600 a bird? Is that realistic for the common man that learns the sector or are you talking real high end stuff there?

I was never getting into it for selling, just for enjoyment, but if it's worth investing in decent birds to start rather than any old tripe for the potential of resale then I would invest now.?‍♂️

Thanks for any advice

Ry

Big aviaries can mean the birds can hide away from you a bit and the thing is you want to see the birds when you keep them, so what's the plans on aviaries and what sort of birds do you like the look of as some are not for newbies as such mate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Far be it from me to advise anyone on birds theres plenty folk on here who know more than me but if you think breeding 600 sov birds is easy you might want to make sure you can actually keep them alive first.....a chap i gave all my stuff to had nothing but heartbreak when he tried to step up from basic Canaries.

• Sad 1

I hatched and reared 1 goldfinch chick with the help of Gnipper this summer....then in the really hot weather I took a pane of glass out in the shed , the little Goldie went straight over my shoulder and straight out the window ?.

Even all my canaries laid empty eggs ?

I must be the world's worst bird man 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I hatched and reared 1 goldfinch chick with the help of Gnipper this summer....then in the really hot weather I took a pane of glass out in the shed , the little Goldie went straight over my shoulder and straight out the window ?.

Got a few young dimorphic cocks there if you want any?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Bad luck that mate, I lost some to a rat  then they did a weeks road work whilst my last pair were on a nest and they abandoned it

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2022 at 22:47, DIDO.1 said:

I lost every Goldie I had, 14, to going light one year. My bullies were doing well. Opened the shed door and they both flew over my shoulder. Shit happens.?