LINE FERRET

3 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

Iam glad in worked for you mate ? I put bells on my ferrets But can't hear them Down the holes what's if it's 5 feet Deep ? then u would be in trouble just dosint make any sense line ferrets in my eyes to many things can go wrong thanks for your reply ? 

Bells are good when you working  few ferrets at same time ,once above ground you can hear them and locate them easilyin cover ,I'd only use a liner in places with no roots ,I always find when working Jill's if one stays I drop a hob in and he'll find her and she normally pop out followed by hob .

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Luckee legs said:

These are the two that I use. The Burgon Ball spade is phenomenal, it's also quite heavy so if I am on my own I leave that in the car and take the roughneck. 

PXL_20211126_142738442.PORTRAIT.jpg

I'm in need of new one so I'll have a look ,had a old bull dog spade but it was borrowed and never returned "brothers for ya" 

• Like 1

Going back to the thread there is a video I've seen on YouTube or somewhere with a old fella ferreting using a line but I can't find it

Before detectors I used to use a line if laid up to help locate a ferret.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

In the early 50s i often went out with a crew from Loughborough  who  ferreted  our  boundaries,  if possible large Trees were avoided but shallow hedge row setts were done  as they had been worked for years by the same crew, if a kill or a tuck was suspected   the liner was brought into play, it was always a large Hob that had been kept alone unless it was to be  mated  , ,  the harness was fitted and the line was attached  and the liner entered in the hole where the rabbit was last heard if possible and the knotted line was slowly ran out for about 4 feet  then dug to then repeat until then Linesman felt the Ferret make a dash  all this was done in absolute silence and there was always some one  there with a home made listening  device  helping the job along,  in later years i read an article  by Tim Sedgewick  [tower bird ] editor of the Shooting Times and writer of some great Trapping and Snaring articles about how Fuse Wire could be  fixed to a line about 18 inches from the harness  and lit if the ferret  got tied up !  i thought it was a good idea but in later years i thought it would have killed every thing in the sett

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, micky said:

In the early 50s i often went out with a crew from Loughborough  who  ferreted  our  boundaries,  if possible large Trees were avoided but shallow hedge row setts were done  as they had been worked for years by the same crew, if a kill or a tuck was suspected   the liner was brought into play, it was always a large Hob that had been kept alone unless it was to be  mated  , ,  the harness was fitted and the line was attached  and the liner entered in the hole where the rabbit was last heard if possible and the knotted line was slowly ran out for about 4 feet  then dug to then repeat until then Linesman felt the Ferret make a dash  all this was done in absolute silence and there was always some one  there with a home made listening  device  helping the job along,  in later years i read an article  by Tim Sedgewick  [tower bird ] editor of the Shooting Times and writer of some great Trapping and Snaring articles about how Fuse Wire could be  fixed to a line about 18 inches from the harness  and lit if the ferret  got tied up !  i thought it was a good idea but in later years i thought it would have killed every thing in the sett

Good description of how to make it work. TBH If I hadnt tried it second time on a large warren i might have persisted

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2022 at 21:10, Shefflad69 said:

I used to use a lined ferret u tie a knot at one foot apart down line count knots as it passes through Ur hand then pace it out to knot count then dig down to ferret never used locators as couldn't afford one 

Yes couldn’t see my self how that would work could take you a entire day just to dig on single rabbit and by the time you was to dig to it be nothing left of it