• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The nipper took 4 more out of the traps tonight. Still all around the first pen. Had a cracking night with him, saw some deer, watched some young buzzards in the nest, chuffed when he identified some

After saying I was stopping using fenns I've now found myself running a trap line of 30. My hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me

After saying I don't like fenns....we have been having a lot of success with em in these little boxes. The really small hole means they can only just get in and they always seem to be well caught. Had

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, albert64 said:

Keep your fingers out of the way then ?

I've never caught my fingers in a fenn, they must be one of the safest traps around.....

Try setting a bodygrip in a loft, dangling off a roof truss while holding the light of a mobile phone under your chin ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An old friend of mine and when is say old he is nearly 90 has a squirrel problem. They have ring barked some Beech trees on his property. I showed him pictures of the multi catch squirrel boxes that I use and he set about ordering some Fen mk 4s and he also made a box . The traps came but he isn’t strong enough to set them . Any ideas of an alternative that may work for him ? 
             I’ve set them for him now , and all he has to do lift the hook off when he wants to set them . But it’s not ideal and I can’t keep going over and setting them . 

On 23/10/2022 at 13:22, W. Katchum said:

Or buy a head torch an safety clip an set them down stairs before you go up ?? Fcuking fenn traps are only safe cos they throw a lot of there catches away from trap haha 

It is virtually impossible for a properly set Fenn to throw it's catch away .  Operator error .... not knowing how a Fenn works is the cause .

• Like 3

Yes, a Fenn is designed to be a 'Jump Trap'...and by its very nature it will spring upwards, to take hold of a victim...

It is the operators responsibility to ensure that the trap is placed in such a position, whereby it can make full use of it's 'action'...

Many boxes, Tunnels, Burrows or Wire cages are simply not tight enough, or of the correct dimensions to take advantage of the Fenn's jump... 

It is imperative that the target species is pinched in, on all sides of the tunnel, and forced to accept the traps lethal embrace....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3

After saying I don't like fenns....we have been having a lot of success with em in these little boxes. The really small hole means they can only just get in and they always seem to be well caught. Had a couple of dozen over the late summer/autumn and so far all caught around head and neck. Even the really young ones are going in and being caught well forward. 

Screenshot_20221104-210431.png

Screenshot_20221104-210708.png

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 4