Goose numbers migration

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to have a walk out this week being feeding a few ponds and looks like a few coming in .I saw a mink on one farm  so a couple of traps are out that will be checked twice a day .there's 50 or so G

Been up in Scotland this weekend, had a few Greylag and a couple of Canadas. 

been coming in strong last few days but started to arrive couple weeks back  

Posted Images

On 24/09/2022 at 09:15, Blackmag said:

The numbers have been building up on Morecambe bay good few thousand on there now 

I spoke to a guy I know down in Morecambe, and he says the same good numbers starting to show, it’s interesting because we don’t have the stubble fields we normally have, ground being dry the farmers have made the most of the good conditions, and got them turned over really quickly, 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 3175darren said:

I spoke to a guy I know down in Morecambe, and he says the same good numbers starting to show, it’s interesting because we don’t have the stubble fields we normally have, ground being dry the farmers have made the most of the good conditions, and got them turned over really quickly, 

I did a job for a old lad who shoots all round pilling it's next to Morecambe bay he said he's not seen theses numbers here now in September ever there feeding on spuds and stubble at the moment but I think a good few have come down on that wind this week might have a look out this week and start feeding a few ponds as well

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I did a job for a old lad who shoots all round pilling it's next to Morecambe bay he said he's not seen theses numbers here now in September ever there feeding on spuds and stubble at the moment but I think a good few have come down on that wind this week might have a look out this week and start feeding a few ponds as well

Having to feed the small gutters and rivers, as the ponds are dry , hoping we get some reasonable rain fall soon 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Having to feed the small gutters and rivers, as the ponds are dry , hoping we get some reasonable rain fall soon 

Yeah I noticed last week how dry the ponds are I have a spot thats nearly always dry then as soon as the rain  fills it stays filled thankfully I have a little farm that as a small running brook through it come Dec Jan when the frost comes it amazing how such a small amount of water can hold so many mallard and teal some nice shots to be had in a good wind sadly no geese ever roost on there 

3 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Yeah I noticed last week how dry the ponds are I have a spot thats nearly always dry then as soon as the rain  fills it stays filled thankfully I have a little farm that as a small running brook through it come Dec Jan when the frost comes it amazing how such a small amount of water can hold so many mallard and teal some nice shots to be had in a good wind sadly no geese ever roost on there 

It will be a challenge if we don’t get water, I am lucky enough  to have some decent bits of river, and some small warm gutters, geese here roost on the solway and flight out on the morning,

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 3175darren said:

It will be a challenge if we don’t get water, I am lucky enough  to have some decent bits of river, and some small warm gutters, geese here roost on the solway and flight out on the morning,

Yeah I get flights out of Morecambe but on one place next door shooters there was 5 out regular last season with autos don't give them a minute peace over 60 barrels last season in a morning flight  I am a member of a wild fowling club so have a decent river to go at if things do dry up 

6 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Yeah I get flights out of Morecambe but on one place next door shooters there was 5 out regular last season with autos don't give them a minute peace over 60 barrels last season in a morning flight  I am a member of a wild fowling club so have a decent river to go at if things do dry up 

I have seen that myself, people shooting in desperation at what they can’t hit, and forcing them higher and higher , that’s the downside of  foreshore shooting, I did it for years, at gedney drove end, 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

I have seen that myself, people shooting in desperation at what they can’t hit, and forcing them higher and higher , that’s the downside of  foreshore shooting, I did it for years, at gedney drove end, 

Yeah as you say Darren some skeins were stretchy to say the least but hopefully they are gone as my farmer who's brother owns next door has had a few run ins with them and said leave it with him .I don't feed a rough hedge on the other side of the farm as next door put pheasants down and I don't so I don't feed it but it's always full .I try and be right but some don't hopefully we get a good down pour shortly  as I can feel the temperature changing now especially early morning 

• Like 1
On 28/09/2022 at 21:10, Blackmag said:

Yeah as you say Darren some skeins were stretchy to say the least but hopefully they are gone as my farmer who's brother owns next door has had a few run ins with them and said leave it with him .I don't feed a rough hedge on the other side of the farm as next door put pheasants down and I don't so I don't feed it but it's always full .I try and be right but some don't hopefully we get a good down pour shortly  as I can feel the temperature changing now especially early morning 

Connected last night on evening flight , came into a shallow pond, 96920D76-68C5-4FD7-93DB-731A8C87E16A.jpeg.8e37014df5eab164770729a45f8f8c7f.jpeg

• Like 1
On 02/10/2022 at 11:45, 3175darren said:

Connected last night on evening flight , came into a shallow pond, 96920D76-68C5-4FD7-93DB-731A8C87E16A.jpeg.8e37014df5eab164770729a45f8f8c7f.jpeg

Going to have a walk out this week being feeding a few ponds and looks like a few coming in .I saw a mink on one farm  so a couple of traps are out that will be checked twice a day .there's 50 or so Grey's on next door I expect them to get amongst them this week 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Going to have a walk out this week being feeding a few ponds and looks like a few coming in .I saw a mink on one farm  so a couple of traps are out that will be checked twice a day .there's 50 or so Grey's on next door I expect them to get amongst them this week 

Good man , there’s loads of pinks flying about up here now and a few greys, looking forward to it this yr ,  

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Good man , there’s loads of pinks flying about up here now and a few greys, looking forward to it this yr ,  

Me as well been a long summer  I said to the Mrs before won't be long my Sunday morning will be back and a doing a bit on the moon I need a new tide book as well pup chewed mine up this morning ? I hopefully we all get a good season 

• 3 months later...

Goose numbers migration

I'm out of touch...............is this really much of a thing still, VAST numbers of Geese now live here permanently, especially Canada geese, are there many migration flights at all? 

On 22/01/2023 at 12:10, Deker said:

Goose numbers migration

I'm out of touch...............is this really much of a thing still, VAST numbers of Geese now live here permanently, especially Canada geese, are there many migration flights at all? 

Pinkfoots do in thousands every year and some Greylag. 

• Like 1