A.P.B.T....

Cracking looking dog Yokel it's a breed that's always fascinated me but I have never seen the need to own one. Remember a mate and his cousin getting two litter sister and brother off Ed Reid about 1982 that's when the breed started to get popular as lads round here did the breed no favours by breeding the arse out of them. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice read that was i couldnt " like " it for some reason....i think the pit bulls were addictive a lot of young lads of our generation had a healthy respect for their physical prowess and that was goo

Most pics of dogs that went through my hands mate ended up with the dead chap spoken about on this topic !....and it wouldnt be right to show other peoples dogs but this is a dog im fairly close to on

My APBT Max.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Doubt it, none the pansie trouble makers like bulls ?

Don't know, katch.  I think it's just more bull cross lurchers they ain't really into?

I'm not really a bull cross fan, but really like staffs/pitbulls.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Nice looking dog i remember them big houndy looking things 23" plus a lot of them old Reid dogs went big like that Dread i think was 24 " @ 70lb odd......too big.

If i had to bet i wouldnt book that as a Reid dog.... i might be wrong.

Yep, these big houndy things were certainly more thick on the ground back then. Personally I prefer a dog 40lb max, anywhere between 30&40lb. A proper bred dog with a "sporting" temperament is more than enough of a handful at those weights I.m.o..

Yokel.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Any famous lines mate?

Never knew his breeding unfortunately. The story behind him, from memory was this...

The litter was bred by a fella in London, the fella was raided and banged up for something or other and the sire and dam and pups were taken to Battersea dogs home. Battersea had a policy not to re-home a.p.b.t's at the time and the sire and dam were destroyed. The pups were due the same fate I believe, but due to a contact at Battersea, a hippy dippy animal rescue shelter not far from me took on the litter and put them up for rehoming....this dog cost the princely sum of £25! Two of the litter mates were close to me also, his brother "bill" and a bitch "dusty". They all looked like peas in a pod, same colour and almost identical markings. And all were up on their toes once they hit a certain age....

Yokel

Edited by YOKEL
Spelling error
  • Like 7
18 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Never knew his breeding unfortunately. The story behind him, from memory was this...

The litter was bred by a fella in London, the fella was raided and banged up for something or other and the sire and dam and pups were taken to Battersea dogs home. Battersea had a policy not to re-home a.p.b.t's at the time and the sire and dam were destroyed. The pups were due the same fate I believe, but due to a contact at Battersea, a hippy dippy animal rescue shelter not far from me took on the litter and put them up for rehoming....this dog cost the princely sum of £25! Two of the litter mates were close to me also, his brother "bill" and a bitch "dusty". They all looked like peas in a pod, same colour and almost identical markings. And all were up on their toes once they hit a certain age....

Yokel

Thanks for the reply mate 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Yep, these big houndy things were certainly more thick on the ground back then. Personally I prefer a dog 40lb max, anywhere between 30&40lb. A proper bred dog with a "sporting" temperament is more than enough of a handful at those weights I.m.o..

Yokel.

Been reading some old match reports about a bitch called Myra that was some game animal according to the match reports. Like I said in the previous posts the breed has always fascinated me after seeing the first one's in 1981 .

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jigsaw said:

You really don't want to bring the headaches some of these dogs can bring lol.....consider a whippet instead lol

Bang on.I can remember bringing a little 12 week old dog pup home who only topped out at 26lb grown.I had a couple of terriers here and a bulldog bitch who was 100%around the terriers and would work along side them and Any other lads dogs I was out with.She could also be left with other biches pups.I thought being a male he should grow up around my bitches fine.I carried him from my car through my back gate and dropped him down and he ran straight across the patio and grabbed my old terrier bich through the head and started shaking her.Fom that day on he couldnt be trusted with anything on 4 legs.Although he was the sweetest little dog around people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Bang on.I can remember bringing a little 12 week old dog pup home who only topped out at 26lb grown.I had a couple of terriers here and a bulldog bitch who was 100%around the terriers and would work along side them and Any other lads dogs I was out with.She could also be left with other biches pups.I thought being a male he should grow up around my bitches fine.I carried him from my car through my back gate and dropped him down and he ran straight across the patio and grabbed my old terrier bich through the head and started shaking her.Fom that day on he couldnt be trusted with anything on 4 legs.Although he was the sweetest little dog around people.

I could tell ye a few blunders,...one concerning ratchet grabbing a bull that wandered into a wood I walked.....I'm just healing mentally .....15 years later

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Some lovely little pics up here lads ☝️☝️?

I’ve always thought half the battle the l apbt faced was the fact that some of those smaller types look like lively little Stafford’s. And people who have no business owning a dog like that Are taken in by that bully appearance . 

About 35 years ago , I knew a dog , what you could call a game type , not a pure , it was mix of about 3/4 apbt , the rest being wheaten and greyhound . It’s job was was to pull out things and end any sort of messing about . It did that job in a fashion that was quite the spectacle . And when his elderly owner was hospitalised , I was distraught to see that taig had been unceremoniously dumped in the deck . 

now I have a boy , the same age I was when taig was disposed of , the idea of a dog like that and it’s unknown character and capabilities terrifies me and I know now why he had to go . 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

I could tell ye a few blunders,...one concerning ratchet grabbing a bull that wandered into a wood I walked.....I'm just healing mentally .....15 years later

There was a pretty well known bull x from the north of England that viewed horses as legitimate targets when lamping 

• Haha 3