A.P.B.T....

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice read that was i couldnt " like " it for some reason....i think the pit bulls were addictive a lot of young lads of our generation had a healthy respect for their physical prowess and that was goo

Most pics of dogs that went through my hands mate ended up with the dead chap spoken about on this topic !....and it wouldnt be right to show other peoples dogs but this is a dog im fairly close to on

My APBT Max.

Posted Images

On 23/09/2022 at 17:06, dogmandont said:

I was gonna ask a similar question the other evening, but as you seemed to be more a conditioner than a handler did you ever get a bond to any of the dogs you were working with, like a proper bond that only happens now and again with dogs you just click with.

On the subject of your above post it's the same with all working dogs to some degree, I heard stories and read about a terrier on here and about the phenomenal worker and producer he was but when I seen him in the flesh while he was up this way to cover a bitch the poor bugger had hardly any hair on him and puss coming out of his eyes, a real sad state to see such a well known talked about little warrior in in his later years, the lad who's yard he was on had him a totally different animal in the couple of weeks he had him but no doubt it wouldn't of lasted when he went back down the road. 

Truth be told mate i wasnt the best at bonding with dogs plenty had much more of a chemistry with dogs than i did.....some dogs had an easy going personality and love for physical exercise that made them easy to get along with and a dream to condition but others would give you that " oh no not you again " look when you went to their kennel.....almost like they were saying " not another one of them ' special ' walks you take me on " ?

Yes you're right its always a shame seeing an old warrior reduced down to a shell of his former self....weakened immune system that can no longer fight things off,you often wonder if it would of been better to go doing what they loved.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Did you have the same measured walks you did? I can remember few of the older lads who walked there dogs out on foot patrol that they would only walk so far an always had the same measured routes ? even as a kid I found counting steps on a dog walk pure madness haha 

Thats it mate yes this was before the days of Pedometers and stuff i never liked walking dogs along the street either so couldnt even use the car trip meter thing....most times i used to drive the dog to the nearest part of the River Lea and count it out first time and then mark the ground for next time.....as i remember 5 miles would be about 9k steps.....certainly was madness !!

31 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Thats it mate yes this was before the days of Pedometers and stuff i never liked walking dogs along the street either so couldnt even use the car trip meter thing....most times i used to drive the dog to the nearest part of the River Lea and count it out first time and then mark the ground for next time.....as i remember 5 miles would be about 9k steps.....certainly was madness !!

5 mile walking or biking gnash 

• 2 weeks later...

I have just read this thread from the start and find it absolutely fascinating. Very informative and personally I think all the feeding, conditioning and breeding is close to being a science. Keep it coming lads.

• Like 4