A.P.B.T....

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice read that was i couldnt " like " it for some reason....i think the pit bulls were addictive a lot of young lads of our generation had a healthy respect for their physical prowess and that was goo

Most pics of dogs that went through my hands mate ended up with the dead chap spoken about on this topic !....and it wouldnt be right to show other peoples dogs but this is a dog im fairly close to on

My APBT Max.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i can remember seeing it kd but the list max put up had some fbk dogs on it and they were stafford’s ? 

Like a lot of the early kennels/owners, they started off with Stafford's before the apbt was a big thing. M Dann, springview etc, all had sporting staffords at the start, once the apbt took a hold and started showing their superiority, most serious kennels moved over. Tho some still kept a decent staff, and they would, on occasion, best their transatlantic cousins....

Yokel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I grew up with bull terriers, of both types, in inner-city Liverpool. My school days were filled with Footy, The Jam, Adidas and bull terriers, so many of us owned (and worked) them. Time dims memory, but i remember both types were 'better' than the dogs of today.

In the early 80's i first heard about those Yank APBT's, and it wasn't long before i seen my first, at those early Wigan lurcher & terrier shows. I was smitten and at the same time Ed Read started advertising both his stock, and his collars in E&M.

I was still living at home and owned a lurcher, terrier, an EBT and about 6 ferrets, so there was no chance of owning them 'real deal' dogs. I could only send off for 'Reids brochure' and bought my dog a collar and lead set (which i still have).

Within 12 months, the APBT had become so popular they had their own ring at local L&T shows. Names like Maurice Dann came to show their stock and it seemed half the country had a game bred dog and a 'break stick' hanging out their back pocket..!

Some of those Reid dogs, those off Skipper in particular, could throw huge animals. Dogs that would struggle to find matches.

They were great times and i learned a lot about the breed, and of those that owned them... 

Bloody good thread this, please keep it this way... ?

29 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I grew up with bull terriers, of both types, in inner-city Liverpool. My school days were filled with Footy, The Jam, Adidas and bull terriers, so many of us owned (and worked) them. Time dims memory, but i remember both types were 'better' than the dogs of today.

In the early 80's i first heard about those Yank APBT's, and it wasn't long before i seen my first, at those early Wigan lurcher & terrier shows. I was smitten and at the same time Ed Read started advertising both his stock, and his collars in E&M.

I was still living at home and owned a lurcher, terrier, an EBT and about 6 ferrets, so there was no chance of owning them 'real deal' dogs. I could only send off for 'Reids brochure' and bought my dog a collar and lead set (which i still have).

Within 12 months, the APBT had become so popular they had their own ring at local L&T shows. Names like Maurice Dann came to show their stock and it seemed half the country had a game bred dog and a 'break stick' hanging out their back pocket..!

Some of those Reid dogs, those off Skipper in particular, could throw huge animals. Dogs that would struggle to find matches.

They were great times and i learned a lot about the breed, and of those that owned them... 

??

1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

??

2 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Wigan became well known round here for its apbt the lad I spoke of earlier use to have a good mate beech hill way and I think that's who's dogs he took on I know a few lurcher lads that kept them both here and over Wigan and Liverpool i would of liked to have learned more about max( pye sire from Manchester) after finding out it wasn't scotchmans max but it's been the best thread on here in a good while 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Was enjoying reading this thread ,input from gentlemen in the know and not the Google lot....then that 'empty tracksuit ' couldn't help himself ?

Bit guilty of stoking that fire myself :icon_redface:  and deffo one of the most interesting threads iv'e read on here about a subject i knew very very little about or was interested in if the truth be known, like you say from someone who walked the walk and it's sure educating me...:victory:...