A.P.B.T....

23 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Did they fight till death ? 

I don’t believe that was the intention, from what I have read they would be parted and then the dog having the worst of it would be released to see if it wanted to go again within like 10 seconds or something….if it didn’t then it was withdrawn.

Owners could withdraw a dog too but not the “ref” 

I think that’s how it worked but what I read could be wrong ?

• Like 1

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice read that was i couldnt " like " it for some reason....i think the pit bulls were addictive a lot of young lads of our generation had a healthy respect for their physical prowess and that was goo

Most pics of dogs that went through my hands mate ended up with the dead chap spoken about on this topic !....and it wouldnt be right to show other peoples dogs but this is a dog im fairly close to on

My APBT Max.

Posted Images

13 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

My memory is normally pretty good for peds but cant quite remember now wasnt he a Two Toes dog or grandson of Two Toes....must admit i thought he was owned by Oddbod who was spoke about earlier in the thread but i could be wrong or he was sold on etc

Oddbod did have a dog ch chuckie and the Asian fella had a son of him ch chuckie JR but I think the dog in Ireland was a different Chuckie???

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I find it hard to believe that lads who keep dogs , can’t just see the level of attrition needed to keep a juke in the physical order for that game …..

you only have to have it right a few times in it’s life stuff don’t ya mate 

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I find it hard to believe that lads who keep dogs , can’t just see the level of attrition needed to keep a juke in the physical order for that game …..

ive heard of a keep but didnt know how intensive it was for such a spell, had terriers and greyhounds all my life and had them in top nick for what they did but neither had to have what a gamedog has to have, when you consider a terrier can work day after day as long as its not reckless and greyhounds can have two runs in seven days and getting them ready is quite different.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, big sid said:

thanks gnasher, although i was never involved in the game i have often admired the animals when in a fit condition, plus i didnt know so much work devotion and cost went into the sport plus the keeper would have to be pretty sharp in knowledge to get the best on a given day.

Like most things mate theres a lot more involved than first impressions show you.....good on you for looking into it a little bit instead of taking the usual News of the World horror show attitude.

2 hours ago, WILF said:

I don’t believe that was the intention, from what I have read they would be parted and then the dog having the worst of it would be released to see if it wanted to go again within like 10 seconds or something….if it didn’t then it was withdrawn.

Owners could withdraw a dog too but not the “ref” 

I think that’s how it worked but what I read could be wrong ?

Not entirely true mate but close enough......it was actually called a " Scratch in turn " contest......so as soon as a dog turned its head and shoulders away,the opponents handler would call a " turn " on the dog and it would be that dog to scratch ( scratch meaning to cross the pit and at least mouth the other dog in order to show willingness to continue )......it then became a " scratch in turn " contest but you could only pick a dog up when out of holds a lot of it would become very tactical a good handler would choose his moments carefully and a really good handler like the gent mentioned earlier could literally call his dog into a turn to get the scratching going and so almost predict when he felt the opponent was going through a bad patch and may likely quit......it was all done in such a way that cruelty was avoided and dogs couldnt be " forced " to fight as the drama queens always like to portray it.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Money will always play its part and only an idiot would pretend deaths didnt and dont happen in the sport but the vast majority of dogs who take their death do so because of bad medical care afterwards....so many dogs have been lost by people who learned everything about breeding and conditioning but never learned fully how to doctor a dog afterwards....obviously shock kills more fighting dogs than anything else and you'd be amazed how many people who match dogs dont know how to deal with it.

But at a guess you'd probably estimate under 20% of dogs are lost directly.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, downsouth said:

Oddbod did have a dog ch chuckie and the Asian fella had a son of him ch chuckie JR but I think the dog in Ireland was a different Chuckie???

Rustlers Chuckie=Rico x Sweep

Lee's Chuckie=Jett x Smutt....

Yokel

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

A lot of dogs will die after fights as sometimes a dog will be aloud to go past the point of no rerturn so to speak , any good dog handler should no if his dog is out matched and beaten, then he could ask who ever he was matching if he could scratch after ( so if your dog was beat and you new it you can step in pick your dog up and then scratch one l’art time to see if your dog was still game to continue by crossing the pit and taking hold of the other dog , that way the dog goes down as 1 x LG ( lost but still game ) . Some lads tho didn’t give a shit about there dogs , some lads had better medical after care and knowledge better than most medically trained first response teams , that’s the difference in dog men and men who kept dogs 

• Like 8
43 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Rustlers Chuckie=Rico x Sweep

Lee's Chuckie=Jett x Smutt....

Yokel

arrrr mystery solved....and Sweep was from Two Toes thats right.

I can barely remember my own name most days but a 30 year old dog pedigree no problem at all ?