A.P.B.T....

18 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

a gamebred dog that isn’t dog aggressive is useless though wilf surely 

A truly brave fighting bull often has something called 'nobility' . Or is described as such. When it's in the ring it will repeatedly charge the picadors even though it's being punished, will keep looking back at them even when it's lead away. When it's passed with the muleta or small red cloth it will simply charge at it, never searching for the man but charging the target that is used to challenge it. When a bull like that is pardoned they will often leave the ring like a pussy cat, calmly following the steers from the ring or excepting a stroke from the herds man that bred it.

I know nothing about game dogs at all. I just wondered if there was an element of something similar in a truly game pit dog or if the aggression is completely different. I've read about individual game dogs being good with kids or men, or being different in different situations. Just got me wondering that's all

• Like 1

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice read that was i couldnt " like " it for some reason....i think the pit bulls were addictive a lot of young lads of our generation had a healthy respect for their physical prowess and that was goo

Most pics of dogs that went through my hands mate ended up with the dead chap spoken about on this topic !....and it wouldnt be right to show other peoples dogs but this is a dog im fairly close to on

My APBT Max.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

What would happen if you bumped into another dog while out walking it off the lead, a farm Collie barking at it say or a dog on a lead? Just out of interest?

To be honest mate he was rarely on a lead, he was reared like a lurcher and was quite trustworthy. He was kenneled with three lurcher bitches.  There were a couple of incidents in the ten or so years I had him but best left unsaid.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

A truly brave fighting bull often has something called 'nobility' . Or is described as such. When it's in the ring it will repeatedly charge the picadors even though it's being punished, will keep looking back at them even when it's lead away. When it's passed with the muleta or small red cloth it will simply charge at it, never searching for the man but charging the target that is used to challenge it. When a bull like that is pardoned they will often leave the ring like a pussy cat, calmly following the steers from the ring or excepting a stroke from the herds man that bred it.

I know nothing about game dogs at all. I just wondered if there was an element of something similar in a truly game pit dog or if the aggression is completely different. I've read about individual game dogs being good with kids or men, or being different in different situations. Just got me wondering that's all

i haven’t been around many mate but the ones i have want any animal they see dead from a cat to a pig 

the litters i seen are trying to kill each other at 6 week old ? 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

i haven’t been around many mate but the ones i have want any animal they see dead from a cat to a pig 

That would be my modern day impression of them, obviously my only knowledge would be from media stories.

My mates once a a lurcher with a lot of pit in it. Fck it was some weapon and you couldn't have anything but respect for it and what it did. On the lamp it was fantastic and came to a recall and would ignore sheep. In the day if it escaped you could follow the trail of dead sheep and destruction until you found it ?

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

some are aren’t they but if i was handling em i would want it ? 

No, you wouldn’t !…..I have done man work with dogs and the last thing you want to train a dog to that level is one that will take your face off of its own accord.

Anyway, let’s not take the thread off track, it’s about a specific kind of dog and there’s men with a specific kind of knowledge talking about it, so let’s enjoy huh ?

Edited by WILF
3 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

That would be my modern day impression of them, obviously my only knowledge would be from media stories.

My mates once a a lurcher with a lot of pit in it. Fck it was some weapon and you could have anything but respect for it and what it did. On the lamp it was fantastic and came to a recall and would ignore sheep. In the day if it escaped you could follow the trail of dead sheep and destruction until you found it ?

? i’ve had unlucky times with bull greys put one that was trying to take the piss with me bullying me on me pals farm in a room killed all his breeding sows  he was fuming  it was an accident but was better than me 

another mate had a pure pit kennelled near his horses out in the field  he had a goat that was with the horses thought it was a horse he loved it got there pit was off he’s tied it up said thank f**k it hasn’t knacked the horses the seen the goat dead ? 

my runner ?‍♀️ walk in the night because there a liability with hares deer etc 

with a pit there a liability with just about everything from the few i been around 

4 minutes ago, WILF said:

No, you wouldn’t !…..I have done man work with dogs and the last thing you want to train a dog to that level is one that will take your face off of its own accord.

Anyway, let’s not take the thread off track, it’s about a specific kind of dog and there’s men with a specific kind of knowledge talking about it, so let’s enjoy huh ?

i thought i had put wouldnt wilf like you say they need handling a man biter is the last thing you need 

50 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

a gamebred dog that isn’t dog aggressive is useless though wilf surely 

Ive personally seen and been told of ch bulldogs that were safe around other dogs and pups unless it was time to go to work.A pal had a little very well known bitch that could be loose with and walked out with other dogs as long as they behaved but hold her between your legs and she'd go into anything.Another good friend who I met when I was a kid in the 80s had a ch dog that he could put in the back of his car with his 3 british bulldogs and take him down the park and he wouldnt look at another dog unless he spotted his own kind

• Like 11
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Ive personally seen and been told of ch bulldogs that were safe around other dogs and pups unless it was time to go to work.A pal had a little very well known bitch that could be loose with and walked out with other dogs as long as they behaved but hold her between your legs and she'd go into anything.Another good friend who I met when I was a kid in the 80s had a ch dog that he could put in the back of his car with his 3 british bulldogs and take him down the park and he wouldnt look at another dog unless he spotted his own kind

There, that’s what I’m talking about.

Cheers mate, very informative ?

Now we all know it’s not a one size fits all for dogs, dogs like people, have different natures and traits but it’s interesting to hear that being a liability isn’t a requirement ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Your big dog was a nice dog as I remember mate ?

Bitch wasn’t it ?……she wasn’t at the end of chain going barmy when I seen her.

16 minutes ago, WILF said:

Your big dog was a nice dog as I remember mate ?

Bitch wasn’t it ?……she wasn’t at the end of chain going barmy when I seen her.

I wouldnt put up with any dog acting around me mate.Dont matter how good they are at their job the have to fit in with me,my family and other dogs

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I must have had a dud lol, kenneled with bitches, tolerated dogs, lived with a cat, went ferreting and broken to all livestock.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1