A.P.B.T....

3 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

As an aside (inverted sub question inbound ) would any of you lads say that the keep of the bulldogs raised the game and is the ancestor of todays high performance dog sports ? 

as in reality , until the 90s lurcher lads were f***ing clueless with regards to nutrition, feeds etc , 

Did the owning and the keeps placed on bulldogs inspire the magnificently kept animals from through coursings hey day in the 90s /00s to even the instagram friendly canines of todays world ?? 

I know of one bloke to conditioned a dog or 2 the same way and from what I've heard it made them excel at their chosen tasks.

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Gnash did you ever know a paki that was real good at conditioning bulls, think his name began with a P, heard a few of my elder relatives who kept a bull or 2 blow smoke up the man’s arse haha wasn’t till years later ( only about 10/15 ago) I found out he was well known an they wasn’t blowing smoke up his arse, the man had earned his stripes an knew his shit

might have never heard of him lol just come to me when I was reading this thread about conditioning back in the day ?

There's several bullxs named after his bulls I was told. Looked into it and they shared alot of names; I heard alot of stories about P growing up aswell and if only half of it was true then he must of been some handler.

The accidents part at the start reminded me of a story my old man told me; he had a bitch called siouxsie ( named after siouxsie and the banshees) and he'd raised her to work beside the terriers. He also had a really hard black dog that was a horrible c**t but good grafter, Jacob got into siouxsies pen and fired her up so she had to go. She apparently was a handy bitch ; nearly 2 years without an issue f****d in 5 seconds 

• Like 1

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice read that was i couldnt " like " it for some reason....i think the pit bulls were addictive a lot of young lads of our generation had a healthy respect for their physical prowess and that was goo

Most pics of dogs that went through my hands mate ended up with the dead chap spoken about on this topic !....and it wouldnt be right to show other peoples dogs but this is a dog im fairly close to on

My APBT Max.

Posted Images

I seen a few that have that real thin furred look to them if you know what i mean you can see the skin through the fur on certain parts of the body. Anyone know a remedy to this or is it just something that pops up now and again in these types ?

7 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Gnash did you ever know a paki that was real good at conditioning bulls, think his name began with a P, heard a few of my elder relatives who kept a bull or 2 blow smoke up the man’s arse haha wasn’t till years later ( only about 10/15 ago) I found out he was well known an they wasn’t blowing smoke up his arse, the man had earned his stripes an knew his shit

might have never heard of him lol just come to me when I was reading this thread about conditioning back in the day ?

a funny fella and a font of knowledge re: the dogs...

Yokel

Edited by YOKEL
Other
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

The man you mention I know very well he his a top dogman I was also very good mates with his brother whose funeral I attended some year's ago  he also had good lurchers and terriers before the bulls. 

6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye he was well thought of up our way for sure, it’s a name that always stuck with me an then a good few years back I started chatting with another lad from your wayish as we chatted bullx lurchers an the name come up, I couldn’t belive it so I asked an that lad said similar to you, bet that man could have told  a tale or 2 ?

Had some laughs with him and his brother year's ago and once when some locals tried coming the c**t in a pub up Mexborough they were offended by mixed race lads having a drink with a few locals we knew when it kicked off the pub looked like an heard of elephants had gone through it though the landlady was on our side as the local trouble makers got a pasting. 

9 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

As an aside (inverted sub question inbound ) would any of you lads say that the keep of the bulldogs raised the game and is the ancestor of todays high performance dog sports ? 

as in reality , until the 90s lurcher lads were f***ing clueless with regards to nutrition, feeds etc , 

Did the owning and the keeps placed on bulldogs inspire the magnificently kept animals from through coursings hey day in the 90s /00s to even the instagram friendly canines of todays world ?? 

Id say its no coincidence that 2 of the top coursing men of the late 90s early 2000s were ex bulldog lads

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, JBs Left Peg said:

Your bred down of a St Bernard ya big fat cuddly mess lol 

What a worthwhile post to a decent thread....do you feel better for getting that off your chest??? Strange f.ucker.

Yokel

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Are there better more capable animals now than there was pre 90s? 

I think running dog fitness and nutrition progressed on its own accord in tandem with greyhound and whippet racing which all have their own obsessed and dedicated fanciers. 

My non-ped whippets of the 60's and 70's were as well fed and conditioned as any running dog I've had since.

I think the improvement has more to do with selective breeding than improved nutrition.........but, as allways, that's just my opinion ?

Cheers.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Looked everywhere for a picture I had of a daughter of the iceman; mate had her as a pet and she used to condition herself just chasing fallow around. She was soft as a brush and good as gold with everything but cats

Did the daughters name begin with M by any chance ?....owned by a chap in Plymouth or close by.

7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

My non-ped whippets of the 60's and 70's were as well fed and conditioned as any running dog I've had since.

I think the improvement has more to do with selective breeding than improved nutrition.........but, as allways, that's just my opinion ?

Cheers.

Another thing the same bulldog men brought to the coursing dogs.Selective breeding and line breeding

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, downsouth said:

Id say its no coincidence that 2 of the top coursing men of the late 90s early 2000s were ex bulldog lads

I find that really interesting.....again running dogs were never my gig but i would never have made such a link between the 2 sports....similarities i suppose yes but thats interesting to hear.

I have never owned any bull type breed other than a lurcher and a little staff my Mrs owned when we first lived together but I have to say, I’m really enjoying reading all you lads….top class gentlemen, top class ?

Heres one I’ll ask you, did you find them to be intelligent dogs ?…..that little staff my wife owned was a doddle to train having been allowed to do whatever it wanted up-to the point we moved in together, picked up anything quick as you like.