Deer whacking thread

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe some people don’t want to post continuously about what they shoot. Doesn’t mean they don’t “do a bit” 

Was out before dawn this morning as the roe are out of control and the wethers cool enough for the meat not to go manky.. few of the old boys I know ain’t too good at the moment so I’ve filled there f

Was out for a munty last night and within 10 mins found this guy holding 3 hinds with a calf each. Shit pic, but he was tearing up the field, head back with his lip curling. Let out the odd roar.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

How do you know how big the sapling is?

Do you think I was born yesterday?

Don’t think anything about you mate .I have eyes and years of experience of deer .Makes no odds to me whether you think it’s fallow ,roe or fairies .

Roe bucks do not thrash anything stationary ,ever but fallow will push sapling over when cleaning velvet .You’ve had a fallow buck pass by at sometime ,mate .

30 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Don’t think anything about you mate .I have eyes and years of experience of deer .Makes no odds to me whether you think it’s fallow ,roe or fairies .

Roe bucks do not thrash anything stationary ,ever but fallow will push sapling over when cleaning velvet .You’ve had a fallow buck pass by at sometime ,mate .

I think you need to read up a little.

As Roe Deer antlers develop they are covered in a grey furry skin known as velvet. Under the velvet there are blood vessels and nerves that feed the antler during is development. On occasions Roe Bucks damage the velvet whilst the antlers are developing which may cause abnormal non-typical antlers to form. By April Roe Deer antlers are usually fully developed, although in older animals this could be as early as March. As the hours of daylight increases it causes Roe Bucks to have an increase in testosterone which stops the blood supply to the velvet covered antlers. The velvet then dries out and shrinks, this is when Roe Bucks cause a lot of damage to forestry as they rub their antlers on saplings to assist in the removal of the velvet, this is called fraying. The antlers when clean are bright white and only get their dark colouration from the fraying activity as the sap and bark from the trees they damage colour their antlers.

Mature Bucks start to mark out their territories from April onwards, this is the significant time when Roe Bucks cause damage as they franticly and aggressively rub their antlers on the bark killing lots of trees every year. The reason they fray is so they leave their scent on and around their territorial boundary, their preorbital gland found in their head deposits the warning sign to other Bucks that this is their territory and to stay away.

WWW.IQPESTCONTROL.CO.UK

Roe Deer Managment

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/fraying-question.187129/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Whatever, I have a large farm a couple of miles north east of Oxford.   All the other usual suspects, but Roe, Fallow, and Muntjac, in that order.   

A few Hare as well, that is uncommon for me as I next to never see any in Berkshire!

:good:

4 minutes ago, Deker said:

Whatever, I have a large farm a couple of miles north east of Oxford.   All the other usual suspects, but Roe, Fallow, and Muntjac, in that order.   

A few Hare as well, that is uncommon for me as I next to never see any in Berkshire!

:good:

Where I was was overrun with them .Mate is going to have a clear up .

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

but never roe who prefer to clean on hedgerows and branches of bushes 

You are wrong Tim ,why do you think roe are the foresters enemy?

You only have field roe where you are and that is why you mostly see them thrashing hedgerows but if you look carefully you will find saplings frayed ?

Here you go ...this is what I find all the time.

download.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

You are wrong Tim ,why do you think roe are the foresters enemy?

You only have field roe where you are and that is why you mostly see them thrashing hedgerows but if you look carefully you will find saplings frayed ?

Here you go ...this is what I find all the time.

download.jpeg.jpg

Obviously Photoshop!!!!   :whistling:;):laugh::thumbs:

• Haha 4