Deer whacking thread

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe some people don’t want to post continuously about what they shoot. Doesn’t mean they don’t “do a bit” 

Was out before dawn this morning as the roe are out of control and the wethers cool enough for the meat not to go manky.. few of the old boys I know ain’t too good at the moment so I’ve filled there f

Was out for a munty last night and within 10 mins found this guy holding 3 hinds with a calf each. Shit pic, but he was tearing up the field, head back with his lip curling. Let out the odd roar.

Posted Images

Nice head.

Just a shame your a bit full of yourself about it but I'm still happy for you.

Being of limited income I forsake traveling to just shoot deer many years ago and decided to wait patiently for them to come to me.

I now have six roe and recently found fresh sign of my buck.

IMG_20220909_083412.jpg.50d1763513260e7d95ed2bda32fb9b1f.jpg

We have fallow very close to and munties so I am ever hopeful.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

f****n touchy today lads .Was a bit of light hearted banter but no bother .Just thought as it’s a hunting site I’d keep the ball rolling .Used to be full of days out with proper lads but now seems to be more of a put Britain right and I don’t go out much because ……

When this site finally bans days out then I’ll stop posting and join pigeon watch but until then bollocks to the moaners and have some of this ——-

87E448D1-D487-4A9E-8382-BF494FA41988.jpeg.5a5c90a5c228d7b2a7a44a68bc901829.jpeg6F0E7367-59CD-4247-BF59-B536C791AE6E.jpeg.72e96db6ecdeac70b39f75ed540fdb1c.jpeg

Edited by foxdropper
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, foxdropper said:

As not many seem to visit tge deer section here is a thread for those who do a bit .We know who we are don’t we ???

Invite to near Oxford today and managed a muntie and roe buck in the fog .Decent roe actually .

2AACD7C9-B2E2-4353-B4B0-C71D3FD9355A.jpeg.1abc03cb2dd46360883c377df54675e0.jpeg

DD7F05D7-29A6-40A2-9BD8-DB6AE3DDB4F4.jpeg

542C5B57-3D23-482E-9B95-4358A9FBB6C8.jpeg

That buck was “ going back “ a bit by the look of him . Nice result . I reckon I know who invited you as well. ?

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

What sort of age will that buck be, that’s quite a nice looking head, I’ve never been interested in head scoring I’m more interested in eating it than displaying it but I do like to have a ruff idea of age ?

An old buck as he has no pedicles left. Big ,heavy coronets, a real nice buck.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, foxdropper said:

f****n touchy today lads .Was a bit of light hearted banter but no bother .Just thought as it’s a hunting site I’d keep the ball rolling .Used to be full of days out with proper lads but now seems to be more of a put Britain right and I don’t go out much because ……

When this site finally bans days out then I’ll stop posting and join pigeon watch but until then bollocks to the moaners and have some of this ——-

87E448D1-D487-4A9E-8382-BF494FA41988.jpeg.5a5c90a5c228d7b2a7a44a68bc901829.jpeg6F0E7367-59CD-4247-BF59-B536C791AE6E.jpeg.72e96db6ecdeac70b39f75ed540fdb1c.jpeg

Good stuff mate but a blind man can shoot deer in Oxford ??? place is moving .

Remember I once went on a 2 day trip and shot 15 ,mix of fallow , roe and munty.

The thing that annoys me is all the guys that have leases and permission to good numbers of deer but dont do the job...

I have limited amounts and do OK but if  I had ground with good numbers would do a lot more. 

No wonder the country has more deer than ever when lots of ground is held by those that are unable to manage the population....about time it was passed on to  those that can do the job.

20210123_160957.jpg

• Like 3

If you have land you want to be glad it’s not owned by forestry, them lot are brutal, I know the lad that does the deer control around my shoot ( he works for forestry) and he shoots everything he sees if it’s in season, the lad who does the other side of the moor is the same and you’ll almost never see a fallow on the grouse moor I shoot rabbits on, they have all but wiped them out, we’re quite lucky at the shoot, although we don’t have a lot of fallow there is a few because the land isn’t owned by forestry so he not allowed to shoot them in the fields which makes it difficult for him and not really worth his while just to do a couple of small block and a couple of rides, on the up side forestry have an outlet for them because it would be criminal to kill them just because you can and let them go to waste

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

What sort of age will that buck be, that’s quite a nice looking head, I’ve never been interested in head scoring I’m more interested in eating it than displaying it but I do like to have a ruff idea of age ?

Can you age deer via teeth, like with a ewe? I can drop bottom lip on any sheep & have very good idea of age 

Edited by BenBhoy
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

If you have land you want to be glad it’s not owned by forestry, them lot are brutal

I wouldn't call it brutal just efficient,the guy is just doing his job.

If I was a ranger I would be brutal too , not a job for someone who fannies about ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Good stuff mate but a blind man can shoot deer in Oxford ??? place is moving .

Remember I once went on a 2 day trip and shot 15 ,mix of fallow , roe and munty.

The thing that annoys me is all the guys that have leases and permission to good numbers of deer but dont do the job...

I have limited amounts and do OK but if  I had ground with good numbers would do a lot more. 

No wonder the country has more deer than ever when lots of ground is held by those that are unable to manage the population....about time it was passed on to  those that can do the job.

20210123_160957.jpg

Well if you want more deer shooting you could also lease ground that has good numbers just as well as anyone else.

• Like 1
Just now, ianm said:

Well if you want more deer shooting you could also lease ground that has good numbers just as well as anyone else.

Gone are the days when I've leased stalking , I've spent a fortune and nothing left to achieve. All my shooting is free but I still pay for the odd day , I would rather stalk different pieces of ground rather than the same patch .

Off on the Hinds in November which I'm looking forward to ?

3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I wouldn't call it brutal just efficient,the guy is just doing his job.

If I was a ranger I would be brutal too , not a job for someone who fannies about ?

I mean brutal in the efficient sense, they are really good at what they do, to me when I hear people talking about deer management in forestry I think to myself “ what are you talking about “ there is no management in a working forestry environment they are there to clear them out, management is for a financial reason the majority of the time, getting yourself a better quality of animal that you can charge some whopper a lot of money to shoot just because they want to shoot it, now although that’s not my thing I don’t have a problem with it because everything needs a value to be sustainable, if people wouldn’t pay for it then why bother looking after it at your own cost, one of the worst things that happened for deer was the change in all the game dealer regulations, I couldn’t tell you a game dealer I could take a deer to now and give them it, let alone get paid for it and this is a small part of the reason why there’s less getting shot, not that long ago people like myself and a few mates used to supplement our wages with deer/rabbit/fish some sold to game dealers some down the working mens clubs, now you can’t give it away and like I said it would be a crime just to shoot them and stuff it in a hedge back

i don’t know where that rant came from ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1