Nuts

Thinking of lightening his load , he will be 13 months at the time if I go ahead with booked op …. Too soon ? Never castrated this young before but his testosterone is overtaking his brain ,causing dog to think he’s billy big spuds ,any scent of a bitch and he’s one track minded and unresponsive ,and being a pain in the ass like a teen outside bargain booze on balloons ….. I usually ride  it out with dogs till they’re +3  only had males (apart from jrt) 2  rotts ,and a German shep and  a Heinz .and now Frankenstein …. thoughts and experiences welcome .. 

• Haha 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Personally, I WANT a working dog to think he is the main man,...a Male canine needs to , 'have some balls'...? Your mission,... should you choose to accept it, is to school the tyke (and whilst

It's only a stage he's got to go through. Grit your teeth and try to engage him in meaningful pursuits. Castration is, in my opinion, not a cure all, and long term it won't do his body any good at all

the mates wife’s a vet and when they met he had a big hairy Lurcher wanting shag everything fight everything and kill everything so they took the poor buggers nuts off him...... and that lurcher was a

Posted Images

Got to say disappointed not more experiences written on this thread. I have never had a dog castrated but of 12 dogs in 42 years, 8 were bitches, I've two dogs now and one is a massive PIA so I feel your pain, Frank's dad. It's crossed my mind that castration would sort a few things. Equally I don't want to take the edge of performance and all the pet dogs I've seen spayed or castrated seem out of shape after the ops  ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's only a stage he's got to go through. Grit your teeth and try to engage him in meaningful pursuits. Castration is, in my opinion, not a cure all, and long term it won't do his body any good at all: weaker bones, muscles etc. The teenage stage can be a pain in the butt, but it will pass eventually. Just be firm, fair and get him on side with you by working and exercising him hard. Never had any dog castrated, despite living with entire bitches. Of course they need to be separated when a bitch is on heat, but once they realise that they must bow down to you as pack leader they tend to accept their situation in life. 

Of course, if you have spoiled him rotten, been too lenient throughout his life, now is the time when he is testing his limits, seeing where he fits in the pack, and you need to set those limits, make rules, if you haven't already ( and if not why not?) Dogs are social creatures, and most, not all, want to fit in with the people and other dogs around them. But there has to be a learning process, and it can be painful, for the owner. Yes, some things do depend on the individual dog, and there are some who are real pains and won't accept their place in life or have the sort of temperament that means they get off on winding everyone up. But I'd only recommend castration as a last resort. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
23 hours ago, Franks dad said:

Thinking of lightening his load , he will be 13 months at the time if I go ahead with booked op …. Too soon ? Never castrated this young before but his testosterone is overtaking his brain ,causing dog to think he’s billy big spuds ,any scent of a bitch and he’s one track minded and unresponsive ,and being a pain in the ass like a teen outside bargain booze on balloons ….. I usually ride  it out with dogs till they’re +3  only had males (apart from jrt) 2  rotts ,and a German shep and  a Heinz .and now Frankenstein …. thoughts and experiences welcome .. 

? Personally, I WANT a working dog to think he is the main man,...a Male canine needs to , 'have some balls'...?

Your mission,... should you choose to accept it, is to school the tyke (and whilst still retaining his youthful vigour),.. let him know in no uncertain terms, that YOUR balls are much bigger than his....

You are the Boss.?

Admittedly, some Alfa male canines can be a pain,.. but when ya do get a good'un,...its frequently a real powerhouse hunting machine...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I think it is a phase mine went through the same but after about 9 years he came out the other side ?  He has even accepted the pup which absolutely amazed me and I was dreading it. When I think back to his younger years he really did try and rule the roost and got to admit it was touch and go at times ?

cal.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, terryd said:

I think it is a phase mine went through the same but after about 9 years he came out the other side ?  He has even accepted the pup which absolutely amazed me and I was dreading it. When I think back to his younger years he really did try and rule the roost and got to admit it was touch and go at times ?

cal.jpg

He's got that look 100 yard stir ? brilliant ? 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Franks dad said:

the mates wife’s a vet and when they met he had a big hairy Lurcher wanting shag everything fight everything and kill everything so they took the poor buggers nuts off him...... and that lurcher was an arsehole till the day it died .... and in my opinion it’s mostly the arsehole pain in the arse types that u remember....... 

1376D621-D8FE-4F63-A0A9-B23B438A8B12.jpeg

• Like 7