German shepards

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the gundog lads had a family nearby who come for lessons, not farmers but had a small holding, few out buildingd and a shed with some collectable cars and a few gundogs.  They got a Neo th

Just go look at a few litters I thort I wanted a European shepherd but they was to much work for us ( family/ gaurd dog ) went to see some show line ones but they just looked terrible with slanty hips

No, out of looking after my money.  I'll leave you to this now that you have convinced yourself that you were right all along. Nobody else, but it is only you that matters. Classic Walt. I know I

Posted Images

10 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Must of been a shepherd x then 

remember stoke away early 2000s coppers had a mastiff type

A lot of forces got their dogs from dealers and they got their stock from all sorts of places. If they came across a big young dog that showed possessiveness or play drive and confidence then it would be offered to the services. Over the years we tried Rotties and all sorts of GSD crosses and latterly Mallies. Other forces would have done the same. We needed around 12 GP dogs a year to maintain the numbers. If they were short of dogs  for a course it could mean a handler being off the streets for several months so sometimes they took on dogs that they would normally have refused.

In my own circumstances my first GP dog had his retirement date extended as he was still fit and other handlers were in more need of the course than me. After the course candidates had been fixed Jet suffered an injury that the vet said would end his working life. It didn't, but after a few months he lost a lot of his mobility. I had 6 months to wait to get on the next course so began to look for my own dog. I went to look at one who had been viewed and rejected by an instructor. I saw something in him, took him for a  month trial, extended that for another month and trained him myself. He only needed 4 weeks of the 14 week course to pass licensing and won 2 trophies in his first 4 months. 

If Jet hadn't become injured when he did that dog would have been lost to the force. Over the succeeding years I brought in some other dogs that the army or prisons and even other forces had rejected. There is a flaw in the assessment process that leads to good prospects being overlooked when times are good and less able dogs being brought in when times are hard. That is why you see oddities amongst the normal police dog breeds.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Nicepix said:

A lot of forces got their dogs from dealers and they got their stock from all sorts of places. If they came across a big young dog that showed possessiveness or play drive and confidence then it would be offered to the services. Over the years we tried Rotties and all sorts of GSD crosses and latterly Mallies. Other forces would have done the same. We needed around 12 GP dogs a year to maintain the numbers. If they were short of dogs  for a course it could mean a handler being off the streets for several months so sometimes they took on dogs that they would normally have refused.

In my own circumstances my first GP dog had his retirement date extended as he was still fit and other handlers were in more need of the course than me. After the course candidates had been fixed Jet suffered an injury that the vet said would end his working life. It didn't, but after a few months he lost a lot of his mobility. I had 6 months to wait to get on the next course so began to look for my own dog. I went to look at one who had been viewed and rejected by an instructor. I saw something in him, took him for a  month trial, extended that for another month and trained him myself. He only needed 4 weeks of the 14 week course to pass licensing and won 2 trophies in his first 4 months. 

If Jet hadn't become injured when he did that dog would have been lost to the force. Over the succeeding years I brought in some other dogs that the army or prisons and even other forces had rejected. There is a flaw in the assessment process that leads to good prospects being overlooked when times are good and less able dogs being brought in when times are hard. That is why you see oddities amongst the normal police dog breeds.

Good read that nicepix 

2 hours ago, C.green said:

Bull herders bred various ways put most these other types to shame at any job. Can have a decent hunt with them too

Seems the way everyones going now though.Some big whoppers being told about a lot of the bulldogs they're being bred out of though.A few of the people breeding them are ploughing through the generation too.seeing a few of these bull herder programme that are 4 or maybe even 5 generation deep and the foundation dogs are the same age as my bitch I have here.

22 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

I recall the mali x presas one got sent to the jamacican police force

Well that was only maybe 7 years ago tops.And they're now 2 or 3 generation deeper on them.Thats why I lost interest in the pp scene.Even worse the dreamers and peddlers than the terrier and lurcher game.

17 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Seems the way everyones going now though.Some big whoppers being told about a lot of the bulldogs they're being bred out of though.A few of the people breeding them are ploughing through the generation too.seeing a few of these bull herder programme that are 4 or maybe even 5 generation deep and the foundation dogs are the same age as my bitch I have here.

I wonder if any of these amateur genetisists actually know what they are doing. Its not like mixing paint. Unless you have studied the blood lines and the dogs themselves of all the family members you could easily be tranferring the worst traits of each breed and missing the traits you are looking for. Some of these 1/4 pit bull, 2/3 greyhound and a dash of beddie x whippet to make the best lamping dog comments are hillarious. Why not add a bit of rabbit or owl? They can see well in the dark.

Edited by Nicepix
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Well that was only maybe 7 years ago tops.And they're now 2 or 3 generation desperation on them.Thats why I lost interest in the pp scene.Even worse the dreamers and peddlers than the terrier and lurcher game.

Probably longer then that mate

1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Very true some them bitches are like cash point machines. But one the fellers breeding the most i gotta be honest not seen a bad one from him. 

The very best one i seen tho is bvk dog to a herder bitch theres nothing that cant do and competes at a high level. Pp scene is pretty boring but some of the sport stuff really interests me

5 minutes ago, C.green said:

Very true some them bitches are like cash point machines. But one the fellers breeding the most i gotta be honest not seen a bad one from him. 

The very best one i seen tho is bvk dog to a herder bitch theres nothing that cant do and competes at a high level. Pp scene is pretty boring but some of the sport stuff really interests me

Scott has gone through a few dogs who remembers that big black presa he had “rhino”

34 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

Scott has gone through a few dogs who remembers that big black presa he had “rhino”

Yeah.Think he shit himself and got rid of it as soon as it showed that presa male trait and started growing at him