German shepards

Do any of you lads know what lines or breeding I should be looking at as the Mrs wants one preferably rough haired I know a lot come with health problems but could you point me in the right direction I don't want a liability just something that fits in with the family 

Edited by Blackmag

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the gundog lads had a family nearby who come for lessons, not farmers but had a small holding, few out buildingd and a shed with some collectable cars and a few gundogs.  They got a Neo th

Just go look at a few litters I thort I wanted a European shepherd but they was to much work for us ( family/ gaurd dog ) went to see some show line ones but they just looked terrible with slanty hips

No, out of looking after my money.  I'll leave you to this now that you have convinced yourself that you were right all along. Nobody else, but it is only you that matters. Classic Walt. I know I

Posted Images

I’ve been around couple that where Eastern European bloodlines 

healthy body confirmation back end like it should be but I’d say they where quite nervy that’s personal experience mind and probably depends on the line 

Dutch herder? Considered one of them I ran a pup on for a friend for three months before it went abroad I’ve never enjoyed a pup so much she was only in house for 2 days at weeks old before she decided my daughter was as her world it’s like she imprinted on her picked up everything so quick I was astounded no need to toilet train fetch every time after two retrieves always had freezer bag of cooked tuna pasta and she’d do anything for that sit stay lie 

I actually shed a tear taking her back l

Defo not as high wired as the Belgium malonis again personal opinion but with them all people breed for money and I’m sure there’s nervy badly bred from this breed as well 

failing that my friends dog from childhood German Shepard cross collie was a dog all always remember fondly 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Do any of you lads know what lines or breeding I should be looking at as the Mrs wants one preferably rough haired I know a lot come with health problems but could you point me in the right direction I don't want a liability just something that fits in with the family 

Just go look at a few litters I thort I wanted a European shepherd but they was to much work for us ( family/ gaurd dog ) went to see some show line ones but they just looked terrible with slanty hips , ended up with one from a litter of yard dogs kc registered but no fancy lines the sire was 8 or 9 and fit as a fiddle,  minnie has made a good dog and fits in well with what we need 

Screenshot_20220911-085023_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7

My old boss had 2 Dutch hurders and and it's easy to see the Dutch shepherds are a totally different from German type ,

I've never trusted these types but maybe that's because one grabbed hold of me at footy match years ago 

,I also no a lad who was on his toes from boys in blue after a smash and grab on jewelers and a shepherd grabbed hold of him next to a underpath, it was winter time and lad was wearing few layers and big leather jacket so when dog grab his arm to pull him down he picked the dog up and slipped out of the leather coat  dropping it over the underpath fence with dog attached to drop 20 ft 

He said he could see the dog panic once he picked up as its not something that would happen in training ,he got extra five year for hurting a police dog while on duty ,

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

My old boss had 2 Dutch hurders and and it's easy to see the Dutch shepherds are a totally different from German type ,

I've never trusted these types but maybe that's because one grabbed hold of me at footy match years ago 

,I also no a lad who was on his toes from boys in blue after a smash and grab on jewelers and a shepherd grabbed hold of him next to a underpath, it was winter time and lad was wearing few layers and big leather jacket so when dog grab his arm to pull him down he picked the dog up and slipped out of the leather coat  dropping it over the underpath fence with dog attached to drop 20 ft 

He said he could see the dog panic once he picked up as its not something that would happen in training ,he got extra five year for hurting a police dog while on duty ,

flying squad

• Haha 5

Strangely enough,I got a call from a lady just an hour ago,she's split from her partner,he owns the house,and she had 2 dogs,1shepherd ,5 years old ,one lab,12 months old,shepherd is a serious guard dog, brought up with a young girl,so great with kids,..the lab is a friendly dog,both free to a good home....anyone looking for a dog to mind their property /kennels,in Ireland ,there's a good shepherd available I'm told,broken to horses too as an addition 

16 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

A few lads down this way have the malanois,and they'd eat ye alive,,their that bit more serious than the German shepherd,and the savegery they display when fired up is terrifying lol

I’ve a Labrador , he’s fairly even natured as labs are and every dogs mate . He comes all over with us ,today was out at the river park with him , a hugely morbid obese couple , clearly not in the prime of their lives , came sauntering along , resplendent with a young very young in fact mallnois puppy , very much the epitome of military Waltery , complete with Julius k9 harness. 

as ever with most people I pray for them to just die before they get to me , with no such luck I was made to enthral tales of killer sas dogs as the pup barked at my sat lab , my dog sniffed him twice hackles up , before deciding to find more interesting conversation elsewhere . Lucky him . 

the fella grinned an inane smile “he won’t try that next year “ 

“no cause you won’t have it next year” 

How the f**k do people set themselves up for disaster constantly ?? What pension aged couple on medical crutches plastic , decide you know what ? I fancy a Malli !!

Lunacy 

• Like 6

Just look for a Shepherd from health tested parents with decent hip and elbow scores.Then check that the parents have good nerves and that should be enough.Unless you're going to give it a serious amount of work you dont need anything from serious working blood lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My neighbours think I’m telling lies an think my half cross is a shepherd cross haha she a serious guard dog aswell, we had a lad look over back fence few weeks ago looking for a gate handle( he thought it was next doors gate am had been told to open gate am leave parcel at back door) fcuk this bitch missed the lad by a ball hair, near took his face off ? got a hatred for cops in uniform aswell, an a serious distrust of any with drink in them, sweetest dog I ever known with the family an even outside, but another time me and me lad was out an a guy started getting lippy, as soon as my mood changed so did hers an she was just waiting to get close enough to lunge haha sayin that my wheaten x wasn’t dissimilar, it must be the whole we bring them up or summat, cos we are quite a wierd family ?

You on about the kelpie x??

19 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Just look for a Shepherd from health tested parents with decent hip and elbow scores.Then check that the parents have good nerves and that should be enough.Unless you're going to give it a serious amount of work you dont need anything from serious working blood lines.

I was unlucky,my shepherd was from a Croatian police dog sire(retired and imported )and a trained schutzhund dam....no nerves in either ,but my thing was border line scytzophrenic,the odd day he was chilled,most days manic,walk him miles,loose running,he was still mad,he swam one day for 25 minutes against a strong current when the dam was opened,people were freaking out he might drown,I was freaking out he might survive,....I had him 8 years,and he did his job,he kept people out,...

• Haha 6
2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’ve a Labrador , he’s fairly even natured as labs are and every dogs mate . He comes all over with us ,today was out at the river park with him , a hugely morbid obese couple , clearly not in the prime of their lives , came sauntering along , resplendent with a young very young in fact mallnois puppy , very much the epitome of military Waltery , complete with Julius k9 harness. 

as ever with most people I pray for them to just die before they get to me , with no such luck I was made to enthral tales of killer sas dogs as the pup barked at my sat lab , my dog sniffed him twice hackles up , before deciding to find more interesting conversation elsewhere . Lucky him . 

the fella grinned an inane smile “he won’t try that next year “ 

“no cause you won’t have it next year” 

How the f**k do people set themselves up for disaster constantly ?? What pension aged couple on medical crutches plastic , decide you know what ? I fancy a Malli !!

Lunacy 

Yeah them Mal's are a time bomb in the wrong hands,I looked into them and decided " FUK THAT "....they need a lot of attention