• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A true friend of the countryside and everything involved with it 

Well played old girl ,  The lads will never forget you.  it was an honour . 

Literally toilet humour again .    And why do you think it went like clock work and immaculately ? Cause the armed forces ran the gaff , not some panel of industry jostling for position. 

Posted Images

Does anyone honestly think we, as a nation, would be better off without the monarchy?

Like if it all came to an end tomorrow, there would be a national divvy up of the land and cash and we'd all get a lump?

I go back to an early comment i made about us continually moaning about lack of tradition, our values and history disappearing before our eyes...so the obvious thing to do is remove the biggest thing that attaches us to that history/tradition and actually brings money into our economy along the way...

So whilst we have Muslims and Hindus ripping up the Midlands and Africans smashing up the outskirts of London.... we moan and look for negatives in a spectacle which was so British, so perfectly executed and felt of bygone times... 

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
4 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Does anyone honestly think we, as a nation, would be better off without the monarchy?

Like if it all came to an end tomorrow, there would be a national divvy up of the land and cash and we'd all get a lump?

I go back to an early comment i made about us continually moaning about lack of tradition, our values and history disappearing before our eyes...so the obvious thing to do is remove the biggest thing that attaches us to that history/tradition and actually brings money into our economy along the way...

So whilst we have Muslims and Hindus ripping up the Midlands and Africans smashing up the outskirts of London.... we moan and look for negatives in a spectacle which was so British, so perfectly executed and felt of bygone times... 

outstanding post mate.

Focusing all this dissatisfaction inwards is a fools game, we have the tools, we have the power to change our outcomes…..we just need to stop being narrow minded about everything and use that which we have available.

Some folks world really is as simple as “write us a cheque Charlie” and that is the problem.

I have encountered that mindset for more years than I care to remember until I finally couldn’t take it anymore.

For every libertarian there are 4 nerds saying “shouldn’t have parked there” when someone cops a ticket, for every poor soul copping £60 off the dole there are 10 saying he’s a f***ing parasite, for every middle age British person that wants to protest there are 10 saying “Sling em in jail”…..the reality is, everyone’s enemy is the same…..it’s just most folks are looking in the wrong direction. 

Everything matters, everything is connected and it all leads back to the same place.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, big sid said:

wouldnt miss them to be honest, driving a dead 96 yr old around london for six hrs doesnt do it for me, harry's got the best deal make i good living telling wee stories.

Im not saying you'd miss them mate, I'm saying do you think it would make the country better/richer if they were gone?

Our cities have history, loads and loads of it ... and London maybe the most, the monarchy connects the dots, brings the history to life in some ways.. the architecture, art, writings, monuments etc etc .. they all mean something to someone.. so do we get rid of the royals and make Buckingham Palace an immigration hostel, Windsor Castle can be used as a drying out clinic... etc...

I'll say again im not a royalist but I can see how important to our national pride and identity days like Monday are, and everything that goes with days like Monday

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, WILF said:

outstanding post mate.

Focusing all this dissatisfaction inwards is a fools game, we have the tools, we have the power to change our outcomes…..we just need to stop being narrow minded about everything and use that which we have available.

Some folks world really is as simple as “write us a cheque Charlie” and that is the problem.

I have encountered that mindset for more years than I care to remember until I finally couldn’t take it anymore.

For every libertarian there are 4 nerds saying “shouldn’t have parked there” when someone cops a ticket, for every poor soul copping £60 off the dole there are 10 saying he’s a f***ing parasite, for every middle age British person that wants to protest there are 10 saying “Sling em in jail”…..the reality is, everyone’s enemy is the same…..it’s just most folks are looking in the wrong direction. 

Everything matters, everything is connected and it all leads back to the same place.

Mate, there's things that have been allowed to happen and now gone beyond the point of repair, you only need to look at the news and most of it has your head in your hands.... 

I dont see the Royals (in the main) as the bad guys... its an institution which is only a benefit to the country.. 

I'll wait for the "your a pedo supporter" and "they took our lands and all our money" type comments...but I'm pretty sure we would be a lesser nation without them..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, WILF said:

Sweden has changed its direction, it’s looking like Italy next…..let’s hope they make a go of it because I personally have had enough of being used and abused.

Do you honestly think we can go backwards on communities that have been built up over 40 or 50 years mate?

We have huge areas of major cities that have Asian or African communities completely deep rooted... 

I've little knowledge of Sweden, but I dont think they have these types of common in their cities until more recently...and it has been such a huge change in such a short space of time their is national support...

If you look at the Midlands and Northern towns these have had Asian strong holds since I was a kid, London has huge black areas for a long long time... the new immigrants are alien to many, as even in these communities they don't fit.. but they will still be accepted no doubt...

How long have we been at a critical point? When does it tip over the edge?

• Like 1

i doubt they make as much as they cost,the palaces good certainly be used for a better purpose considering most rooms like unused yet cost plenty, some may be happy to pay for all the elite as they think they are, tug the forelock and brown nose them, but plenty others see them as leeches that wont let go of a artery

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, big sid said:

i doubt they make as much as they cost,the palaces good certainly be used for a better purpose considering most rooms like unused yet cost plenty, some may be happy to pay for all the elite as they think they are, tug the forelock and brown nose them, but plenty others see them as leeches that wont let go of a artery

What you on about ???
Seriously straight out of “not the view”.  mince . 

“As the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh celebrate their Platinum Wedding Anniversary, leading brand and business valuation consultancy Brand Finance has estimated the total worth of the UK Monarchy. Growing every year since the inception of the study in 2012, the value of the British Monarchy now amounts to approximately £67.5 billion.
The Monarchy’s tangible assets – the Crown Estate, the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall, and the Royal Collection, including the Crown Jewels – account for £25.5 billion. The intangible value, understood as the present value of the benefits that the Monarchy is expected to bring the UK economy over the years, constitutes the remaining £42 billion.
Brand Finance estimates that in 2017 the Monarchy generated a gross uplift of £1.766 billion to the UK economy. The contribution includes the Crown Estate’s surplus as well as the Monarchy’s indirect effect on various industries. The respect for the institution boosts the price and volume premium of brands boasting a Royal Warrant or a Coat of Arms; the appeal of pomp and circumstance set in living royal residences draws millions of tourists; the mystique surrounding the Monarchy adds to the popularity of shows like The Crown and Victoria that offer a glimpse of the private lives of the Royal Family.
The economic benefits generated by the Monarchy come at a very low cost to the British nation, equal to only £4.50 per person per year or just over 1p a day. The total costs of the Monarchy, totalling approximately £292 million, include the Sovereign Grant, earnings from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall ceded to the Queen and the Prince of Wales, and security expenses, among others. A significant proportion of these costs is in fact incurred by residence maintenance, staff salaries, and travel expenditures required by any head of state.
David Haigh, CEO of Brand Finance, commented:
“Exactly 25 years ago, the Windsor Castle fire marked the nadir of the Queen’s annus horribilis when scandals drove the Monarchy’s popularity down. Today, its universal appeal translates to the attraction of Brand Monarchy offering considerable commercial benefits to all businesses and institutions associated with it.”
“The Monarchy is Britain’s national treasure, both symbolically and economically. Especially in the age of Brexit, Britain can rely on royal diplomacy to facilitate trade relations with the commonwealth “ 

in short , royal family cost the uk tax payers a fiver a year apiece. 

price is what you pay , value is what you get . 

11 minutes ago, big sid said:

What would you use the palaces for ??

9 minutes ago, big sid said:

Fair enough mate, we all have our different views...

I can't be assed to Google what the royals generate and add to the UK economy... but I very much doubt, no in fact I know, there isn't another country on Earth that would get 4 billion tuning into a national event...

But I get the counter arguments, and a lot leads to old feelings of "hate the rich" "up the poor"... I see it as short sighted, but certainly don't feel the need to "tug the forelock" or "brown nose" anyone...its just a view point