Jump to content

Any pics .....Small lurchers past and present


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

Times are changing,...and changing fast.....🤔

In many parts of our country,.. this type of roustabout vermin hunting tyke , might soon become, the chosen one.

when we all start chasing rats and bushing rabbits phil ? 😂 

  • Sad 1
Link to post

  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shes old and not long left now, but had some good times.. 

Rosie....... springer x lurcher....about 21 inch.....she knew her craft well and was a pleasure to watch...many lovely memories.

Taz,first X Kelpie X greyhound.....all I can say is 10 years of unbelievable fun    

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

when we all start chasing rats and bushing rabbits phil ? 😂 

Horses for courses my old son. Them super duper stamina fen runners of yours would be blowing out their hoop after two hours in a waste site killing rats and the little whippet x terrier mongrels will still be going strong. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 minute ago, socks said:

Horses for courses my old son. Them super duper stamina fen runners of yours would be blowing out their hoop after two hours in a waste site killing rats and the little whippet x terrier mongrels will still be going strong. 

mine a super duper fast killers on all land socks 😂 blowing out there hoop 😂 

the little dogs are ideal for ratting and bushing mate 

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, socks said:

Horses for courses my old son. Them super duper stamina fen runners of yours would be blowing out their hoop after two hours in a waste site killing rats and the little whippet x terrier mongrels will still be going strong. 

Iv saw coursing digs spit rats out an refuse to pick em back up, needed to let a Russel pup at 5 month old follow the dog an let it kill the rats it spat out haha it would kill em unless rat nipped him then he would spit em out haha 😆

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post

🤔 Bit illogical to make comparisons, twixt totally different types of canine hybrid...🙄

Personally,....I would always use the right tool for the job in hand,...anything else,... is just a waste of a good dog...

Times are changing,....😉

 

 

 

 

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
Link to post
2 hours ago, OldPhil said:

🤔 Bit illogical to make comparisons, twixt totally different types of canine hybrid...🙄

Personally,....I would always use the right tool for the job in hand,...anything else,... is just a waste of a good dog...

Times are changing,....😉

 

 

 

Winchester Rats 3 169.tif.jpg

My comparison was very tongue in cheek ……… 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
On 13/09/2022 at 20:43, mC HULL said:

when we all start chasing rats and bushing rabbits phil ? 😂 

Well, I hope that you can continue with the Hare hunting, I honestly do...👍

We have loads of hares here, so it is  inevitable that accidents occur,...same all over the country I suppose🤔

No, I was only thinking about my own early days (1960's) with working dogs, and remembering locally, just how scarce on the ground, and how few in number,  the proper running dog types actually were..

Truth is, I never knew anyone with a genuine Greyhound , let alone a Saluki!

However, as the seasons moved on, we kinda drifted away from roustabout curs, and ended up with Deerhound and Saluki hybrids, all of a sudden...and then,.. well,...life changed dramatically....😉

Great times, all through the 1970's/1980's ,...and I would not have missed those days and nights, for all the World,.. but,.. personally, I can now see a gradual return, to the less conspicuous types of canine hybrid.

As in all things, some folk will still continue to walk out, and possibly say,.." They will never stop me",. etc, etc.. but,.. I felt several years ago that for a genuine, mad keen, crazy hunting man,.. the writing was on the wall...🙄

The choice of lurcher composite to keep, and what quarry to pursue, is entirely optional,...no right or wrong,.. and I wish anyone who desires to walk on the wild side, all the good luck and grand sport they can find,...but,....facts are,...its gonna get emotional...and that's the truth....😎

 

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10
Link to post
46 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Well, I hope that you can continue with the Hare hunting, I honestly do...👍

We have loads of hares here, so it is  inevitable that accidents occur,...same all over the country I suppose🤔

No, I was only thinking about my own early days (1960's) with working dogs, and remembering locally, just how scarce on the ground, and how few in number,  the proper running dog types actually were..

Truth is, I never knew anyone with a genuine Greyhound , let alone a Saluki!

However, as the seasons moved on, we kinda drifted away from roustabout curs, and ended up with Deerhound and Saluki hybrids, all of a sudden...and then,.. well,...life changed dramatically....😉

Great times, all through the 1970's/1980's ,...and I would not have missed those days and nights, for all the World,.. but,.. personally, I can now see a gradual return, to the less conspicuous types of canine hybrid.

As in all things, some folk will still continue to walk out, and possibly say,.." They will never stop me",. etc, etc.. but,.. I felt several years ago that for a genuine, mad keen, crazy hunting man,.. the writing was on the wall...🙄

The choice of lurcher composite to keep, and what quarry to pursue, is entirely optional,...no right or wrong,.. and I wish anyone who desires to walk on the wild side, all the good luck and grand sport they can find,...but,....facts are,...its gonna get emotional...and that's the truth....😎

IMG_0551.JPG

you lived and worked dogs through the golden era phil and by the looks had plenty of it and it’s a shame things are how they are now and it’s only going to get worse but what will be will be you just have to enjoy it and see what comes 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...