Strike Training

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like your script fellah....? If you need a chat,...call me,... and I'll try to offer a wee bit of advice.....?

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will

Cheers.

Posted Images

Some dogs will, some won't but only time will tell. The fella is clearly wanting the best for his cur and prepared to explore every possible avenue to learn for himself and from others more experienced, kudos for that ? and I for one wish him all the luck in the world with her, there are a lot of dim-witted muppets in the lurcher game and from what I've read he's got a positive outlook and a brain. 

Just Keep on going, slow and steady Scott 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Na not havin that, a natural that hardly gets any work won’t end up better then a late starter that’s grafted all time an comes together, iv saw it happen, you be surprised how good practice makes ?

we talking rabbits ? ? 

15 hours ago, stop.end said:

Lol... some great stories and theories and scenarios... interesting  reading and some great pictures.... but strike training?  Is it just me?... or is this some kind of hybrid lurcher x golden Eagle..

A lurcher will ONLY need training to be broken to livestock... pets and farmyard fowel.  Everything else should be natural? 

strike training a lurcher only on thl ? 

16 hours ago, OldPhil said:

? The easiest rabbits, are the ones hanging on your carrying straps,...nothing is ever certain, until its captured...

The catching of rabbits is a varied old subject, and is not quite as cut and dry as some folk imagine...?

I envy lads who harbour definitive opinions and who are not hampered by the realities of constantly playing away from home...A well known terrier man once said to me, 'that a rabbit is a rabbit',...no matter whereabouts it runs, in the UK... ?

I have hunted throughout the land, and I have not found this to be the case...far more variables than one might think..

Hopefully we shall all have plenty of conies to pursue this Winter,..it would be a crying shame, to say goodbye...?

plenty this year phil 

7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv saw a few start late like that but turn into decent dogs, I’d much rather a late starter than one that started like a pure natural then decides one day enough is enough, an iv saw that a good few times, that’s one reasons I would never breed off a young dog cos iv saw a fair few yous have bet your life on throw towel in on 3rd 4th 5th season, you’ll prob know better but that’s just my take on the mutts I been around 

seen plenty of herding types pick runs but never a dog jack to rabbits but i suppose any dog can get sickened 

9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv saw bullx pretend they never saw rabbits, I also saw saluki crosses run behind them but never really try, saw terrier types pretend not see em, it’s not always herding types

the herding types its more pick runs as they get older can be infuriating but the have nearly hundred percent kill ratio ? 

some will as you say run and not try there good for fack all ? 

6 hours ago, mC HULL said:

i know that ? it’s not a late starter it’s a none starter ? a dog that won’t use its mouth it’s never going to be any good is it ? 

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will still be with me, perhaps I should be sticking her on fb telling people she's "green" and "not seen much just a few runs". Try get a few quid off her and palm her off onto some other unsuspecting fool. Laugh at my questions if you must, I really don't mind, I honestly don't, I get that some people wouldn't keep a dog like this and I get why, and I truly understand that some will be reading this thread thinking I'm saft or brain dead, which could well be true when it comes to lurchers, but the man who never made a mistake never did anything. The dog is here to stay wether she learns to use or mouth or not. We will have some fun either way.

Have a good season ?

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will still be with me, perhaps I should be sticking her on fb telling people she's "green" and "not seen much just a few runs". Try get a few quid off her and palm her off onto some other unsuspecting fool. Laugh at my questions if you must, I really don't mind, I honestly don't, I get that some people wouldn't keep a dog like this and I get why, and I truly understand that some will be reading this thread thinking I'm saft or brain dead, which could well be true when it comes to lurchers, but the man who never made a mistake never did anything. The dog is here to stay wether she learns to use or mouth or not. We will have some fun either way.

Have a good season ?

i was more having the craic with katchum mate 

but a lurcher doesn’t need strike training it will come natural or won’t 

if your happy with the dog that’s all that matters mate ?

10 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i was more having the craic with katchum mate 

but a lurcher doesn’t need strike training it will come natural or won’t 

if your happy with the dog that’s all that matters mate ?

Fair enough, my apologies if seemed like I was going off at you!