Strike Training

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like your script fellah....? If you need a chat,...call me,... and I'll try to offer a wee bit of advice.....?

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will

Cheers.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? The easiest rabbits, are the ones hanging on your carrying straps,...nothing is ever certain, until its captured...

The catching of rabbits is a varied old subject, and is not quite as cut and dry as some folk imagine...?

I envy lads who harbour definitive opinions and who are not hampered by the realities of constantly playing away from home...A well known terrier man once said to me, 'that a rabbit is a rabbit',...no matter whereabouts it runs, in the UK... ?

I have hunted throughout the land, and I have not found this to be the case...far more variables than one might think..

Hopefully we shall all have plenty of conies to pursue this Winter,..it would be a crying shame, to say goodbye...?

608.JPG

Got one place I go. One side the hedge grass is always long and rabbits seem abit slower. Go the other side the fields are grazed tight by sheep and horses all year around. They seem to have a rocket up there arse and there is far more slipping from the dog on turning. Makes you realise how types of land play a difference 

• Like 5

Just had a couple hours out with a member off here and the bushers, probably saw 15 -20 rabbits, as it’s a nice little spot. But would have seen half a dozen roe. If I go lamping tonight I’d see five deer faster than ten rabbits. 

Tend to just enjoy hunting the bunnies now with the little dogs and don’t put a lot of effort into trying to kill them. 

• Like 1

Lol... some great stories and theories and scenarios... interesting  reading and some great pictures.... but strike training?  Is it just me?... or is this some kind of hybrid lurcher x golden Eagle..

A lurcher will ONLY need training to be broken to livestock... pets and farmyard fowel.  Everything else should be natural? 

• Like 3

dogs can only catch what is put in front of it.some people get far more opportunities with their dogs than others ,but some are far more natural at striking and picking up,that will never change no matter how much work they have .

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, stop.end said:

Lol... some great stories and theories and scenarios... interesting  reading and some great pictures.... but strike training?  Is it just me?... or is this some kind of hybrid lurcher x golden Eagle..

A lurcher will ONLY need training to be broken to livestock... pets and farmyard fowel.  Everything else should be natural? 

I can assure you she has no golden Eagle in her.....that I know of!

I'm assuming you read my original post and what I was hoping to get some advice on, it would also be fair to say that from your comment, I can say she's clearly not a natural, so I'll plod on with my un-natural, golden Eagle hybrid and hope she comes good. Like I've mentioned, be it foolish or not, I'm not going to be giving up on this dog.

Thanks.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

I can assure you she has no golden Eagle in her.....that I know of!

I'm assuming you read my original post and what I was hoping to get some advice on, it would also be fair to say that from your comment, I can say she's clearly not a natural, so I'll plod on with my un-natural, golden Eagle hybrid and hope she comes good. Like I've mentioned, be it foolish or not, I'm not going to be giving up on this dog.

Thanks.

years ago me and a mate bought 2 bitch pups,a mix of collie whippet greyhound and deerhound greyhound .both brindle broken coated around 25 tts.mine struggled at picking up rabbits ,eventually made a decent dog,but his was far better ,had a natural strike and made it look easy .both dogs had same amount of work ,some things I believe you can't change .

29 minutes ago, bobza said:

Give over

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Na not havin that, a natural that hardly gets any work won’t end up better then a late starter that’s grafted all time an comes together, iv saw it happen, you be surprised how good practice makes ?

Agreed! But some dogs are just naturals and some are just shite ? 

• Like 1