Strike Training

Soon as the dog sees a few kills there will be no turning back ,all dogs are different some will do it some need a little help ,everyone has different ways of bringing them on but I wouldn't want to keep running rabbits if the dogs not making the kill , sure there's someone that will take you out with there dog and let you double up on a few kills , not saying double up all the time just might need to be showing the once then hopefully the penny will drop ,good luck atb

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like your script fellah....? If you need a chat,...call me,... and I'll try to offer a wee bit of advice.....?

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will

Cheers.

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, bobza said:

Soon as the dog sees a few kills there will be no turning back ,all dogs are different some will do it some need a little help ,everyone has different ways of bringing them on but I wouldn't want to keep running rabbits if the dogs not making the kill , sure there's someone that will take you out with there dog and let you double up on a few kills , not saying double up all the time just might need to be showing the once then hopefully the penny will drop ,good luck atb

I know a very small amount of lads with lurchers personally and they all live a decent drive away, going out with them not a problem, it would just be difficult to be out with them regularly, as I previously mentioned if I could get out with them 3 times a season then that would be good going, managed 1 night with them last year and she was keen enough to run/chase but not to make the kill, she just stopped the chase and happily let the other dogs do the kill, wouldn't even play with catch afterwards 

On 10/09/2022 at 14:55, poxon said:

That’s the way Id do it if the dog actually knows what it’s doing by running down the beam but as the lad as said he’s not having no luck I was thinking an trying to comment without trying to offended him by saying literally walk out from we’re the rabbits will be heading for home that way you can be completely on top of the rabbit you know the dog as seen it before slipping plus your as close as you can get the dog to it the dog could even take it out of its seat with you close enough to relieve the dog of the catch I get what your saying gilbey I don’t think there’s no right or wrong way it’s what ever works but I was sort of thinking it’s probably better being behind a novice dog running reckless away from you after a rabbit than towards you at full tilt with a lamp shining directly in its face that ain’t got a clue what it’s doing yet 

Yeah I've done it that way with rabbits sitting way out on white grass etc ?

obviously keep the lamp off the dog same as any other situation 

Edited by Gilbey
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

No not that ......

But what makes a good rabbiting dog ? As in what makes a dog with the potential to be a good rabbiting dog really shine ???

I know what your on about but more complaining about lack of game is likely 2 ruin my high

Just now, Gilbey said:

Rabbits and a owner that wants to catch them

Yep. All of the real good rabbiting dogs I’ve ever seen, had seen and were seeing regularly, a hell of a lot of rabbits. I just don’t think you can show a dog the sort of work on them you could before. 20/30 rabbits used to be a local walk for a couple or three hours. You could ferret 30-50 regular etc. Dogs were catching 100 rabbits most weeks of the season and plenty of lads doing a lot more. That’s what makes a great rabbiting dog. Those times are gone.

• Like 1