Strike Training

31 minutes ago, Borr said:

My tuppence would be sack the hunting go have a ball with her , play, chase stuff and create a bond . Make her your pal and stay away from dogs and training for a bit, atb with her think some dogs come good later with a relaxed relationship ?

Yeah we've spent the off season just trying to enjoy it, no training, relaxing and not doing much of anything, I will give her a go with the lamp when we get the night this season and see how she goes, gonna try go into this season with no expectations and if she does manage a catch then bonus, if not again just try take it easy and be patient with her 

• Like 4

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like your script fellah....? If you need a chat,...call me,... and I'll try to offer a wee bit of advice.....?

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will

Cheers.

Posted Images

On 08/09/2022 at 13:23, stevemac said:

That's a shame monkey see monkey do is great but if you can't its a long road doesnt mean you can't get their in the end. Good luck.

Never saw a lurcher whippet or terrier brought on the monkey see monkey doo not do something...... but something for someone’s not something for others .....mind how u go lads

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I reckon just get her out into the wild as much as you can. I think they need to go slightly feral for their instincts to emerge.

I like the idea of going off grid for a week and eating only what we catch....unfortunately I think we both might resort to eating grass if previous success is anything to go by ?

• Haha 4

If your dogs old enough to run drop it on top of green rabbits far out in the open field walk out from were there going to be heading for home try an box them out in the open offer the dog a good chance of a catch to build confidence no long winded slips at edge lines just yet But remember you showing being disheartened of no catch if the dog doesn’t make a catch will feed of that knocking the dogs confidence more. Your job is to make the dog think it’s the best thing since sliced bread to walk this earth using your field craft your job is to build a young dog up offering opportunities that go slightly more to the dogs favour to begin with then you can relax more 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, poxon said:

If your dogs old enough to run drop it on top of green rabbits far out in the open field walk out from were there going to be heading for home try an box them out in the open offer the dog a good chance of a catch to build confidence no long winded slips at edge lines just yet But remember you showing being disheartened of no catch if the dog doesn’t make a catch will feed of that knocking the dogs confidence more. Your job is to make the dog think it’s the best thing since sliced bread to walk this earth using your field craft your job is to build a young dog up offering opportunities that go slightly more to the dogs favour to begin with then you can relax more 

Just a different take on it, I prefer to stand where you think the rabbit will head and slip the dog, that way the dog will get more chances and hopefully you won't just end up lighting up the rabbits path home ??‍♂️

• Like 4

You have got me thinking now about my old beddy whippet. When she started she would would hum and hah about the place really gingerly and eventually when she started to catch she would all most hold the rabbits by the skin. I actually started to think she had some thing wrong with her mouth. But as time went on her confidence grew and turned into awesome little dog though she all ways held rabbits a light as possible which is no bad thing.

You imagine a nice green young rabbit on the lamp this time of year. Bit of long grass clumped about or a thick hedge. Once off course if you were to literally chase it your self geeing the young dog up and basically showing what you want to it do. Rabbit wouldn't have a clue you would dam near catch it your self. I remember doing some along them lines with the beddy cross  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

I like the idea of going off grid for a week and eating only what we catch....unfortunately I think we both might resort to eating grass if previous success is anything to go by ?

Don't worry mate it's getting like that around my way with the lack of rabbits, like trying to hunt thylacine.

2 hours ago, poxon said:

Yes if the dog misses just laugh ,I'm constantly cackling I am 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, poxon said:

Definitely old enough to run, nearly 2 years old ? 

I'm hoping it's just a confidence thing and with the playing around this year with no real stress or importance on learning anything, fingers crossed she will be more confident. 

I try not to be disheartened after her failure to catch but at same time I'm reluctant to praise her too much in case she thinks it's a good things she's just chasing a rabbit in circles before she let's it go gone.

2 hours ago, terryd said:

You have got me thinking now about my old beddy whippet. When she started she would would hum and hah about the place really gingerly and eventually when she started to catch she would all most hold the rabbits by the skin. I actually started to think she had some thing wrong with her mouth. But as time went on her confidence grew and turned into awesome little dog though she all ways held rabbits a light as possible which is no bad thing.

You imagine a nice green young rabbit on the lamp this time of year. Bit of long grass clumped about or a thick hedge. Once off course if you were to literally chase it your self geeing the young dog up and basically showing what you want to it do. Rabbit wouldn't have a clue you would dam near catch it your self. I remember doing some along them lines with the beddy cross  

Tbh, when she is on the chase she seems to be giving it her all and going flat out to make the catch, just won't do the final part of making the catch, she gets her head down to rabbit level and everything just no grabbing it. 

I'm gonna give chase myself too this year as your not the first person to mention that. Hopefully we can find some nice young rabbits out in the field and give it q good try again ?

6 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Look forward 2 you showing off her catches this season ,it's gonna happen me knowsa

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I can assure you if she does manage to make a catch ill be letting you all know since 99% of people who have commented of my various posts have been brilliantly helpful! ?

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Just a different take on it, I prefer to stand where you think the rabbit will head and slip the dog, that way the dog will get more chances and hopefully you won't just end up lighting up the rabbits path home ??‍♂️

That’s the way Id do it if the dog actually knows what it’s doing by running down the beam but as the lad as said he’s not having no luck I was thinking an trying to comment without trying to offended him by saying literally walk out from we’re the rabbits will be heading for home that way you can be completely on top of the rabbit you know the dog as seen it before slipping plus your as close as you can get the dog to it the dog could even take it out of its seat with you close enough to relieve the dog of the catch I get what your saying gilbey I don’t think there’s no right or wrong way it’s what ever works but I was sort of thinking it’s probably better being behind a novice dog running reckless away from you after a rabbit than towards you at full tilt with a lamp shining directly in its face that ain’t got a clue what it’s doing yet