Strike Training

On 06/09/2022 at 10:45, scottpenn28 said:

Title pretty much says it all, last season was my first with the lurcher and things obviously didn't go to plan, I've posted about it before so don't want to go into too much detail but basically seems she doesn't want to actually strike or commit to the catch. This I believe is because of how I trained her, so this year I've been doing everything I can to get her in the right shape and right frame of mind in the hope she breaks her duck this season. Playing with flirt pole, giving her dead rabbits so she's used to fur in her mouth. No interest in balls or dummies so can't really play "fetch" with her, is there any other way I could train her to help her commit and actually make the catch? She's been mm from the back of rabbits but just follows them until they make it to hedgerow. It's also been suggested to me that she may benefit from watching other dogs catch/run, unfortunately she's a bit queer around other dogs and wants to play but almost won't let herself play, other than with a few dogs she knows quite well. Is there anyone local to Worcestershire who fancies a run or wouldn't mind me tagging along and letting her watch their dog run? Been invited with lads but they are fair distance away so would struggle to run with them on the regular.

A sad tale,...I would be interested to know why you think her behaviour is to do with the way you trained her?

What method did you employ....?

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like your script fellah....? If you need a chat,...call me,... and I'll try to offer a wee bit of advice.....?

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will

Cheers.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

A sad tale,...I would be interested to know why you think her behaviour is to do with the way you trained her?

What method did you employ....?

The same training method I did with the spaniels, basic command and then reinforcing the rules and commands I set, if a command was ignored then I got on her straight away with a firm telling off so she understood she was wrong, this I believe has somewhat shattered her confidence in herself. It never affected the spaniels I've trained but I think she's is possibly too fragile of mind for how I trained her. Looking back and speaking to a good lad about it I've now spent the time since last season trying to really increase her confidence. She got chased by a German shepherd as a pup which is why I think she's timid around dogs, she hit a gate and fell during jump training and is now reluctant to jump anything above a metre high. Like I say, I think I've shattered the confidence within herself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, scottpenn28 said:

The same training method I did with the spaniels, basic command and then reinforcing the rules and commands I set, if a command was ignored then I got on her straight away with a firm telling off so she understood she was wrong, this I believe has somewhat shattered her confidence in herself. It never affected the spaniels I've trained but I think she's is possibly too fragile of mind for how I trained her. Looking back and speaking to a good lad about it I've now spent the time since last season trying to really increase her confidence. She got chased by a German shepherd as a pup which is why I think she's timid around dogs, she hit a gate and fell during jump training and is now reluctant to jump anything above a metre high. Like I say, I think I've shattered the confidence within herself.

I think you've just answered your questions.

Good luck with it.

2 hours ago, shaaark said:

I think you've just answered your questions.

Good luck with it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure know where I've gone wrong, the whole idea of this post was to see if there was any way to teach her to strike as all we've really done rigs year is play around trying to build her confidence back up. 

Thanks ?

• Like 2
On 06/09/2022 at 23:16, scottpenn28 said:

Yeah would be ideal to let her watch some older dogs but like said in post, dont know people local who run dogs, to go with lads I do know isn't possible more than couple of times a season 

That's a shame monkey see monkey do is great but if you can't its a long road doesnt mean you can't get their in the end. Good luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stevemac said:

That's a shame monkey see monkey do is great but if you can't its a long road doesnt mean you can't get their in the end. Good luck.

Yeah would have been ideal but oh well, me and her will be flying solo again this year and fingers crossed with some more success ?

My tuppence would be sack the hunting go have a ball with her , play, chase stuff and create a bond . Make her your pal and stay away from dogs and training for a bit, atb with her think some dogs come good later with a relaxed relationship ?

• Like 2