Strike Training

Title pretty much says it all, last season was my first with the lurcher and things obviously didn't go to plan, I've posted about it before so don't want to go into too much detail but basically seems she doesn't want to actually strike or commit to the catch. This I believe is because of how I trained her, so this year I've been doing everything I can to get her in the right shape and right frame of mind in the hope she breaks her duck this season. Playing with flirt pole, giving her dead rabbits so she's used to fur in her mouth. No interest in balls or dummies so can't really play "fetch" with her, is there any other way I could train her to help her commit and actually make the catch? She's been mm from the back of rabbits but just follows them until they make it to hedgerow. It's also been suggested to me that she may benefit from watching other dogs catch/run, unfortunately she's a bit queer around other dogs and wants to play but almost won't let herself play, other than with a few dogs she knows quite well. Is there anyone local to Worcestershire who fancies a run or wouldn't mind me tagging along and letting her watch their dog run? Been invited with lads but they are fair distance away so would struggle to run with them on the regular.

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like your script fellah....? If you need a chat,...call me,... and I'll try to offer a wee bit of advice.....?

Possibly not, unfortunately I don't have it all figured out yet. She's still with me now and even if she doesn't get going and only fulfils her potential as a pot licker and not a pot filler she will

Cheers.

Posted Images

on the lamp and easy rabbits and gee her up if you leg it after the rabbit your self just to fire her up. You can't train a dog to strike as such that will boil down to enthusiasm at the end of the day. If you had a ferret and let her pin a netted rabbit etc but failing that lamp is the best way and be really selective with your runs. Get between the rabbit and base camp so she sees it coming and go for it. Worry about finesse once your up and running. Just my thoughts

49 minutes ago, terryd said:

on the lamp and easy rabbits and gee her up if you leg it after the rabbit your self just to fire her up. You can't train a dog to strike as such that will boil down to enthusiasm at the end of the day. If you had a ferret and let her pin a netted rabbit etc but failing that lamp is the best way and be really selective with your runs. Get between the rabbit and base camp so she sees it coming and go for it. Worry about finesse once your up and running. Just my thoughts

We've got ferrets but hardly managed to get out last year with them due to thin numbers but have some new ground this year and looks like could be a better season for ferreting. Was told to run after it myself so will definitely try that this year, yeah not worried about finesse as such just want to be absolutely prepared this year so at least I've done everything I can to get her catching 

1 hour ago, scottpenn28 said:

Title pretty much says it all, last season was my first with the lurcher and things obviously didn't go to plan, I've posted about it before so don't want to go into too much detail but basically seems she doesn't want to actually strike or commit to the catch. This I believe is because of how I trained her, so this year I've been doing everything I can to get her in the right shape and right frame of mind in the hope she breaks her duck this season. Playing with flirt pole, giving her dead rabbits so she's used to fur in her mouth. No interest in balls or dummies so can't really play "fetch" with her, is there any other way I could train her to help her commit and actually make the catch? She's been mm from the back of rabbits but just follows them until they make it to hedgerow. It's also been suggested to me that she may benefit from watching other dogs catch/run, unfortunately she's a bit queer around other dogs and wants to play but almost won't let herself play, other than with a few dogs she knows quite well. Is there anyone local to Worcestershire who fancies a run or wouldn't mind me tagging along and letting her watch their dog run? Been invited with lads but they are fair distance away so would struggle to run with them on the regular.

Don't know what age she is But the bottom line is some dogs Don't make the grade mate not saying yours won't but I wish I had a penny for everyone that I had over the years didn't make it I wise you all the best ? 

• Like 1

I've always let them mouth and hold  a few in purse nets...then when they are switched on,lift the nets and let the dog make its own catches,will obviously miss a few to start,give plenty of praise....I've never had a runner that wouldn't chase and catch a rabbit...had a few that spat something bigger out first time ?

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Always found an older dog that knows the ropes will teach young dog much more than any training tricks.

Deff mate, took Buck out with old Bryn when Buck was pup, let him watch Bryn catch few in the lamp, done 1/2 dozen times, then when Buck was about 6 months old, and getting bit of  height to him, one night put the lamp on, rabbit got up  middle of feild, Buck pulled me, he deff seen it in the beam, slipped him he was right on to it, 2 turns got it  just before the edge. I've always said he pick rabbits up easy for a big dog, his height at 28in he see alot down the beam, the strike on him was like old Bryn, both  seem to know when to hit the rabbit. He deff had the knack  at hitting his quarry, don't know if it was the gsd in him, same as retrieve that was natural as we'll, dint train much with him, bloody hell he bring fox back to like a rabbit lol. Just keep taking them, hand don't do long slips, try and get as close to the rabbit as you can, before the slip the dog, once it few catches bit get more confidence. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stevemac said:

Always found an older dog that knows the ropes will teach young dog much more than any training tricks.

Yeah would be ideal to let her watch some older dogs but like said in post, dont know people local who run dogs, to go with lads I do know isn't possible more than couple of times a season 

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I've always let them mouth and hold  a few in purse nets...then when they are switched on,lift the nets and let the dog make its own catches,will obviously miss a few to start,give plenty of praise....I've never had a runner that wouldn't chase and catch a rabbit...had a few that spat something bigger out first time ?

She will chase lovely just not grab it. Hopefully can get her out with the ferrets a lot more this year though which fingers crossed will encourage her 

• Like 1

Never seen any slow pup thats not changed it whole attitude and 'woken up', after seeing and hearing a rabbit caught by another dog.

One night, a few bunnies caught by another dog and maybe a slip for yours, and you should be able to fly solo from there on in....

1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Never seen any slow pup thats not changed it whole attitude and 'woken up', after seeing and hearing a rabbit caught by another dog.

One night, a few bunnies caught by another dog and maybe a slip for yours, and you should be able to fly solo from there on in....

That's my hope, if I can get her out with another dog at least a few times then fingers crossed things will click and she will realise what's she's supposed to do, was hoping someone local might wanna go for a spin but it looks like I'll be traveling. Really not ready to give up on this dog yet ?

18 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

That's my hope, if I can get her out with another dog at least a few times then fingers crossed things will click and she will realise what's she's supposed to do, was hoping someone local might wanna go for a spin but it looks like I'll be traveling. Really not ready to give up on this dog yet ?

Give her another go on her own good chance sher be different from last year the fawn bitch you probably seen of mine went a good while doing same as yours drove me mad but second season she were striking well lifting squatters lock stock the fackin lot

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Black neck said:

Give her another go on her own good chance sher be different from last year the fawn bitch you probably seen of mine went a good while doing same as yours drove me mad but second season she were striking well lifting squatters lock stock the fackin lot

I'll definitely be going on my own hopefully can meet the lads I know at some point in season. Her temperament seemed to change after her first season so was hoping that changed her attitude but like i say still a wimp around other dogs so maybe not. Hearing that about yours has given me some hope though pal, hopefully she comes good this season ?

8 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

I'll definitely be going on my own hopefully can meet the lads I know at some point in season. Her temperament seemed to change after her first season so was hoping that changed her attitude but like i say still a wimp around other dogs so maybe not. Hearing that about yours has given me some hope though pal, hopefully she comes good this season ?

Being shy and unassuming around other dogs has no bearing on ote mate 

• Like 3