V.A.R. A help or a hindrance?

Agreed....we all thought that " fan power " had killed off the idea of a European Super League and the idea went up in smoke and has been forgotten about,we all went away patting each other on the backs saying " its our game " etc.....but the company behind it were only in the European Court a few weeks ago trying to get rulings against Fifa/Uefa...the ESL will be a thing sooner rather than later and they only want the traditional " big clubs " in it.....is it plausible that the money involved could cause corruption with VAR,you bet your bollocks it is !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

It does make you wonder whether they are protecting the top 6 clubs with some possible European super league type thing in years ahead......i dont think they've dropped that idea its probably still on the shelf for later.......but do they want your little West Ham's and Newcastle's etc jumping in on that....im not so sure they do.

Its the only reason i can think.

absolutely 100%

9 minutes ago, big sid said:

same as ko time all starting at daft times that dont suit fans but do suit tv. and tv pays the piper so they call the tune,btw does anyone know the celtic v rangers score from sat

images (8).jpg

Being as how you stuck up for my Hammers.......errrm no i have no idea what was the score of that game please ?

33 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Being as how you stuck up for my Hammers.......errrm no i have no idea what was the score of that game please ?

4-0 for the hoopy bhoys, while i'm on here tell how did the transfer window go for you sold a fav or bought well.

Edited by big sid

VAR in the EPL came about because officials were effectively put on trial by TV after every televised game and again on MOTD. Pundits pouring over multiple camera angles, and toggling between frames showing a player had moved from fractionally on to offside, or vice versa over a few hundredths of a second, then digging out the linesman for not getting it right. Offside had become impossible to referee if you can’t accept less than 100% accuracy or what is humanly possible.

Same with fouling.., a ref stood ten yards away can generally make a decent call on contact resulting in an infringement and blowing for a foul. It doesn’t need ex-pros sat in a TV studio looking at 5 angles for the merest glance before announcing that ‘the ref’s got it wrong, there was contact, and so he’s entitled to go down’!

It rips my knitting watching this, and I’m talking about British players too, advocating cheating FFS!!

Thing is, one bad decision can see a team finish 18th instead of 17th, or 5th instead of 4th with tens, even hundreds of millions at stake so you can understand why the league and officials would want to remove as much error as possible. What’s clear is that VAR is still fallible as much still depends on human interpretation. Its also had a negative impact on the fluency of the game for spectators. Think if you weighed it all up, the % of correct calls made will have improved because of it, so think sadly it’s definitely here to stay.